5.00 (1 review)
Every Monday, we start the week with an old fashioned assembly, called Family Time. Various grades present, we say the Pledge, and the Abiqua pledge: 'Today I will honor peoples differences. I will do what I want done to me. People and their property will be safe. I will show good sportsmanship in what I say, play and do...'
1st and 2nd grade students write and illustrate books throughout the school year. They share these books with parents during a special event, 'Author's Tea'.
Abiqua offers after school classes called Abiqua Adventures that include everything from robotics, cooking, and athletics to drama. The middle school drama is a very popular program that usually includes around 30 students. Recent performances have included Annie and Bye Bye Birdie. For 2017, our students are presenting The Lion King!
High school students and a biology teacher exploring Abiqua's new state of the art science lab. In addition to honors courses and 5 languages, Abiqua offers more AP courses than any high school in the Salem area.
'Traveling School' provides students at all grade levels the opportunity to expand their learning outside of the classroom. Field trips include visits to local farms, the Oregon coast, museums and other amazing places in the Willamette Valley.
- Abiqua Academy provides an extraordinary academic environment nurturing curious, imaginative and constructive thinkers, to be enthusiastic life-long learners and to become compassionate citizens of their community and the world. Abiqua offers Salem and Willamette Valley area students personalized instruction and learning from PreK-12.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Independent Private Schools Association|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Total Students||180 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 17 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,495|
|Tuition Notes||Effective for the calendar year 2017-2018|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Admissions Director||Brittany Fobi|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Wizards, Drama, Horticulture, Robotics
Arts and Music Programs:
Art in various mediums, Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Hip Hop Dance
- Abiqua uses a unique thematic, integrated curriculum in each grade, that spirals thru the students education year to year.
- The school is divided as follows: Lower School (Pre-K thru 4th grade), Middle School (5th-8th grade), High School (9th-12 grade).
- Students are allowed to progress at their own pace and not restricted to traditional age level programs. For instance, pre-algebra, algebra and even geometry are available to middle school age students.
- The curriculum for grades PK-8 includes enrichment classes such as Spanish, Art, Physical Education and Music.
- After school "Adventures" include beginning and advance Robotics, Drama, Chess, Choir, Hip-Hop Dance, Cooking, as well as numerous art classes.
- Abiqua "Adventures" including full and half day programs are also available each summer.
- Abiqua's sports teams include Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball and Track
- Before and after-school child care is available.
This school gives a great opportunity for kids to be independent and for working with a group. They also provide a good amount of homework that is on the harder side but it makes you think and if you try you can get it done.They also have things like Spanish, German, Art, P.E, Band, Guitar, Choir, and Orchestra. IF you are very smart in the math world they will bump you up so that you have a good challenge no matter what, and even better the teachers are awesome!! When you leave you are ready for anything that comes your way.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Avery Lohrman
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.