Academy Of St Benedict The African
- The Academy of St. Benedict the African is located in the heart of the Englewood Community on the South Side of Chicago.
- Englewood is a community on the rebound, recently adopting the Adkinka Symbol, Sankofa, which represents the importance of learning from the past.
- Likewise, the Academy of St. Benedict the African resembles the spirit of the community.
- Originally seven parochial schools served the community, which was composed mainly of immigrant families.
- The Archdiocesan elementary schools carry the name of St. Benedict, an African patron whose humility and extraordinary powers as a spiritual director caused him to be made superior.
- The Academy, throughout its evolution carries his name proudly and has never lost sight of its mission-- to provide a superior education and a safe haven for the children of its neighborhood.
- St. Benedict is a school where children can learn in a positive and nurturing environment.
- The Academy of St. Benedict the African believes that a Catholic Christian education aims to develop the total child, spiritually, socially, intellectually, emotionally and physically.
- To support a student's entire development, the Academy adopts several role models, parents, teachers, religious leaders and friends.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Association for the Education of Young Children
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||254 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Homes for Sale
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
It is illegal for an interviewer to ask certain questions at your job interview. Be aware of what they can and cannot ask you.