American Academy Plantation
5.00 (7 reviews)
- At American Academy, we believe that students with learning differences in Kindergarten through grade 12 can benefit greatly from a well-rounded program that promotes development of social, academic, and executive skills as well as collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking.
- Small class sizes are staffed by experienced teaching professionals who create a nurturing and supportive classroom environment and enable students to experience success by accomplishing personalized academic tasks.At American Academy, we provide positive learning experiences for each student with an indoor/outdoor learning environment on a beautiful school campus.
- As a child's skills and knowledge base grows, we work collaboratively to encourage creativity, critical thinking, and independent learning.
- We are unique among schools, in that we offer a complete program that nourishes the whole student through leading educational research on curriculum, technology, and brain-based learning.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
Association of Independent Schools of Florida
National Council for Private School Accreditation
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Processing Disorders, Executive Function Disorders, Receptive /Expressive Language Disorders/ADHD/Dysgraphia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,000|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Tuition varies based on grade level and number of sessions.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||300 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||28 courses|
|Average SAT score||1100|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Students wear a school uniform)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$35,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition based on grade level|
|Admissions Director||Marc Shaw|
|Admissions Associate||Alexandra Rollins|
|Total Sports Offered||21 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Flag Football, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
- The American Academy educates advanced students with mild learning differences in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our progressive curriculum fosters creativity, critical thinking, leadership, and executive functioning. Our college preparatory culture is prevalent as we cater to each student`s abilities and set high expectations for all students. All of our graduates are accepted to a 4-year college or university.Our staff of expertly trained and highly experienced educators is completely dedicated to the success of each and every one of our students. Our program carefully monitors student growth. Each child`s plan is customized to meet his or her unique needs. It is important to us that our students gain confidence through success and truly realize the joy of learning.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fort Lauderdale Grades: PK-12 | 2436 students
1501 Ne 62nd St
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334
(954)492-4135 12.7 PK-12
I have been working at American Academy for the past 13 years. In that time I have seen the school grow tremendously. I can honestly say it is a wonderful work environment. The students in the academy benefit from the small class sizes and the one on one in the Reading Lab.
- Posted by Teacher - Academy Teacher
I have been a teacher at the American Academy for over 15 years. I love teaching in this environment. The classes are small, and along with my full-time assistant, we can give the students the help and attention they need as they are doing their work. The program is developed around the needs of its students, providing an environment that encourages children to be motivated and focused. As a teacher, it is so rewarding to be able to teach my students the way they learn best.
- Posted by Teacher - Stephanie Block
My son struggled through the early grades at Heritage. As a parent, I thought it was because he was not working hard enough or doing his homework. After getting him tested, we found out he has a processing disorder. When he moved to the Academy, the smaller class size, the different teaching methods and individualized attention he began to have more and more confidence. I am proud to say he has had over a 4.0 GPA over the past two years and many doors have opened up for college. I highly recommend the Academy and their teachers. They have done amazing work.
- Posted by Parent - Proud Parent of American Academy Student
My son has been attending American Academy for 5 years. The educational experience that he has had has been amazing! The faculty and staff have been so very caring with him. He loves going to school and that warms my heart. The teachers find so many ways to help him learn. He has grown so much academically in just a few short years. He loves all the extra curricular activities that the school has to offer too. I am so thankful to have my son at a school that genuinely cares about him and his success.
- Posted by Parent - Nikki
A few years ago we were looking for a school for my second grade son who has dyslexia. No place we visited could deal with his gifted intelligence and his dyslexia. American Heritage not only provided him the rigor he needed to challenge his curious mind but also offered him a customized reading program that utilized the researched strategies for dyslexia instruction. What we didn`t expect was how the school became a family. Their highly trained instructors really care about the students and communicate weekly with the parents. My son has flourished during his time in the Academy and he no longer hates going to school but instead looks forward to the challenges that await him.
- Posted by Parent - Pleased Parent
My daughter made the move to Academy this year. She is dyslexic, and I wanted her to have more individualized attention and a different approach to teaching. She is doing amazing! The switch has been so positive for her and her writing has really improved. Even here PSAT score in English/Reading went up! The teachers really take the time to address her needs and the smaller class size allows her to feel comfortable enough to ask questions. Dr. Cowing worked with her to make sure she was able to stay in Heritage classes where she is strongest and the balance has been perfect!
- Posted by Parent - Academy Parent
My child has been an Academy student for 10 years. The small classroom and the multivdisplinary approach to learning has been essential in building my child's self esteem and her desire to learn. She no longer dislikes school and has an eagerness and confidence she did not have before. The teachers are well trained and educated on dealing with learning challenges and are able to teach the same curriculum using a modified approach. My daughter was given the extended time she needed on tests and the project based learning made school fun and interesting for her. The Academy staff is A+ especially the Guidance department that is always there for the students and the parents.
- Posted by Parent - Grateful
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.