Archangel Academic Services
Tel: (810) 635-9100
Small, multi-age one-room school with highly individualized instruction aimed at academic excellence. Takes ages 4-17, with anywhere from 2 to 16 students. (Usual size is about 8.) Students usually gain 1 to 2 years every year of instruction, but three years of improvement is not unknown. COMMON CORE IS NOT USED IN THIS SCHOOL. Instead, traditional methods of reading and math instruction are standard, with an emphasis on Western Civilization, character training and problem solving.
Archangel Academic Services places among the top 20% of private schools in Michigan for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||most anything|
|Total Students||6 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||1 teacher|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(dark blue, with light colored top)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$325|
|Tuition Notes||This is the cost for non-church members (school is housed at St. Bartholomew's Anglican Church) but is not strictly Anglican in nature. Any Christian or non-Christian is welcome but Jews or Muslims might feel a little out of place. Tuition for church member is $275. Kindergarteners and first graders are half-price (to encourage getting a good phonic grounding for reading to enhance future education.) Members of the church have sometimes helped a child or family with tuition.|
- Archangel Academy is a very traditional school (if you go back about 100 years). If you are used to how things are done these days, you may find some things confusing at first. Consider, however, that an 8th grade education 100 years ago equaled a high school edducation or better today. Non-work is not acceptable and students are required to finish and correct all work. On the other hand, they get a great deal of support to help them with that. Homework should take about an hour a night on homework nights. If it takes longer, the teacher should be informed immediately so that a solution can be found.
- As with the traditional one-room school, students are given instruction at their actual level in each subject. Thus a student may be doing reading at 2nd grade level, math at third and spelling at 1st grade level, depending on their skills. These levels change as the student advances.
- French is taught to all students as a second language. Proficiency at the end depends a lot on interest and effort.
- Students should dress prepared to go outside at some point during the day. Exercise is mandatory unless there is a doctor's note.
- Each day includes Morning Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, except on Thursday, when there is Holy Communion. Accommodations can be made at times for varying beliefs, but only up to a point...
- Parent involvement is desired in so far as possible. Parents should take enough interest in what goes on so that they have the background to deal with possible misundertandings and problems. Get the teacher's input on those before coming to a conclusion. Children can only do well with basic parent/teacher cooperation and trust. Students can get confused (or they may try to get a sypathetic ear with a not-completely accurate story). So please work with and respect the teacher.
- Tuition is due on the first of the month. Only eight months of tuition are charged because of frequent breaks. (Four one- to two-week breaks in the year.) This enables a student to process what they have learned in each teaching segment (pod) and be fresh for the next. Fridays are also days off for any student who completes all work and passes all tests for the week. (Thus giving a 'make-up/catch-up day' for the rest.) To balance these days off, there are no teachers' conference days, or weeks-long testing. Testing is only done at the beginning of the year or before the student enters the school and at the end, and only takes about an hour or two.
- A student can enter the school at the beginning of any pod, but some subjects build through the year and it is preferable if they begin earlier rather than later.
Nearby Private Schools
The nearest high school to Archangel Academic Services is Genesee Academy (5.6 miles away)
The nearest elementary school and preschool is St. Pius X School (3.0 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Flint Grades: PK-8 | 178 students
G3139 Hogarth Avenue
Flint, MI 48532
(810) 235-8572 3 PK-8
- Flint Grades: PK-K | 50 students
1442 W Hill Road
Flint, MI 48507
(810) 341-5300 3.4 PK-K
- Flint Grades: PK-8 | 74 students
402 S Ballenger Hwy
Flint, MI 48532
(810) 239-6733 4.3 PK-8
- Flint Grades: K-8 | 14 students
G4285 Beecher Rd
Flint, MI 48532
(810) 732-0230 4.6 K-8
- Flint Grades: PK-8 | 194 students
2319 Bagley St
Flint, MI 48504
(810) 235-5687 4.9 PK-8
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.