Genesee Christian School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Genesee Christian school is a private non-denominational Christian School in mid-Michigan.
- The school was founded in 1974 and operates under the direction of a nine-member board.
- The school's mission is to assist Christan parents in training Biblical principles to their children.
- The school seeks to present a challenging academic and spiritual environment which is conducive to the intellectual growth of it's students thus enabling them to become complete in Christ.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Association of Christian Schools (AACS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||378 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, English Literature, Psychology, US History|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Robert Buchalski|
|Admissions Associate||Lucy Swedorske|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Golf, Soccer, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Christian Honor Society, MACS Fine Arts Festival, Student Council, Teens With A Mission|
- Genesee Christian School offers education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. The daycare offers educational programs for children 2 1/2 to 4 years old. The elementary building houses 4 and 5 year old kindergarten though 5th grade. The high school building houses 6th-8th grade in a middle school environment and a traditional 9th-12th grade cirriculum. Both buildings are located in Burton, Michigan.
- The school year typically begins the fourth Monday in August (one week before Labor Day) and meets the minimum 1098 instructional hours recommended by the State of Michigan. Traditional classroom instruction is offered at all levels using the ABeka curriculum at the elementary level and a combination of ABeka, Bob Jones Press and secular texts at the high school.
- The school day for middle and high school consists of seven class periods of 50 minutes. Bible is taught during one of the seven hours with chapel services held twice a week. The school is operated on a semester basis; students receive 1/2 credit per academic course per semester. The professional staff includes the adminsitrator, high school assistant principal and elementary principal. The instructional staff includes 28 experienced full-time and part-time teachers, along with several teacher aides and support staff.
- SPIRITUAL EMPHASIS:
- Application-based Bible classes
- Excellent chapel ministry
- Effective revival/evangelist services
- Excellent network with local churches, pastors & youth pastors
- Teens With A Mission outreach program
- Jr & Sr Leadership Camp
- John & Romans Bible Project
- ACADEMIC EMPHASIS:
- Taditional elementary school curriculum & instruction
- College-preparatory program in middle school & high school
- Strong Math, English, History & Science curriculum
- Advanced placement classes
- Small to moderate class sizes
- Vocational opportunities (Skill Center)
- Local & State of Michigan academic competitions and testing
- FINE ARTS:
- Elementary art & music program
- 5th grade & middle school band
- Middle school & high school choir
- Middle school & high school art, including clay sculpting & drawing
- Annual drama productions
- Annual elementary and high school music programs and concerts
- EXTRACURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES:
- Comprehensive athletic program
- Student Council & class government
- Homecoming & Winterfest
- Honor Society
- Yearbook & Journalism
- Mackinac Island & Washington D.C. Trips
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Swartz CreekGrades: PK-12 | 70 students
5255 S. Linden Rd.
Swartz Creek, MI 48473
- BurtonGrades: K-12 | 112 students
6456 E Bristol Rd
Burton, MI 48519
- FlintGrades: K-12 | 14 students
1379 Louis Ave
Flint, MI 48505
- DavisonGrades: PK-12 | 331 students
7306 E Atherton Rd
Davison, MI 48423
- FlintGrades: 9-12 | 541 students
G2040 W Carpenter Rd
Flint, MI 48505
My child has attended GCS since 1st grade. The experience and education received thus far is 2nd to none. My child will be entering the 4th grade in the 2016-17 school year. If you're a Christian who would like to see your child educated in a Christian atmosphere, then you really need to consider GCS. From the principal to the teachers, they are all outstanding, caring and giving individuals. In case you're interested, they don't follow the 'common core' junk that most schools do these days - instead, the implement the 'Common Sense' method that most of us learned on years ago. And get this, they actually teach the kids cursive writing!! Cursive writing starts in the 2nd grade at GCS. Awesome school!!!
- Posted by Parent - mzimm
I attended GCS from the age of 3 until I graduated at 18. After graduation, I attended Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. Thanks to the intense curriculum and teaching at GCS, I had no problem in graduating from Liberty Univ. in the normal 4 years, but with 2 Bachelor of Science degrees (Biology: Pre-Med and Psychology: Clinical). I am now working towards my Masters of Biomedical Science and medical school after that. If you are anywhere in the surrounding area of Burton, I highly recommend you send your children here. You won't regret it.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - josef
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.