Aspen Country Day School
5.00 (1 review)
Aspen Country Day School Photo #2 - A robust arts curriculum begins in the earliest grades and continues through Middle School as one of the signature elements of ACDS's three-part program balancing academics, arts, and outdoor education. From studio arts to music to performing arts, children develop skills and gain wide exposure to many creative avenues.
Aspen Country Day School Photo #3 - Circling the pond are three arts buildings completed in 2013: drama, music, and art centers. Children canoe at recess in the fall and spring, and ice skate on the pond in winter.
Aspen Country Day School Photo #4 - Outdoor Education trips begin in Kindergarten with a gentle introduction to hiking (complete with s'mores and campfire). Expeditions continue with two trips per year for each grade. We venture across the Rocky Mountain West for rock climbing, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, and desert camping or kayaking. The capstone is an eight-day river trip for the Eighth Graders right before graduation.
Aspen Country Day School Photo #5 - The school mascot is the aardvark, chosen by the children in the school's earliest years. ACDS was founded in 1969 by a group of families who sought an independent school alternative in the Roaring Fork Valley. The school today is an energetic mix of East Coast sensibilities with a Western spirit of innovation and adventure.
Aspen Country Day School Photo #6 - Shakespeare's works come alive for children in Kindergarten through Fifth Grade each year as each grade studies a particular play, then presents it for the whole school at the Shakespeare Festival each fall.
Aspen Country Day School Photo #7 - A national-level independent school high in the mountains of Colorado, Aspen Country Day School is a destination for families that seek a solid foundational academic preparation along with that essential ingredient for a lifetime of enthusiastic learning: joy.
- In a welcoming community, on a spectacular mountain campus, children are challenged and inspired by talented teachers.
- The mountain ideal of vitality in mind, body, and spirit is at the heart of the program, which balances rigorous academics, creative arts, and outdoor adventure.
- Children become critical thinkers ready for a lifetime of learning, and a rich arts program fuels creativity.
- On two outdoor expeditions each year starting in Kindergarten, children become campers, bikers, hikers, skiers, climbers, and paddlers.
- They grow up with a strong sense of place and a wholesome sense of self.
- At Aspen Country Day, children simply love to come to school.
- Country Day is Aspen's only accredited member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Graduates excel at high schools, public and private, across the country.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||260 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 16 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $8,000 for two days per week in PreKindergarten to $29,410 for Middle School|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Susan Glah|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, SnowboardingAlpine Skiing, Climbing,|
Ice Hockey, Kayaking,
Mountain Biking, Mountaineering,
Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor Education trips, Ski days
- Traditional academic curriculum prepares students for the top independent and public secondary schools in the country
- Outdoor education trips, two per year, begin in Kindergarten
- Strong program in performing and studio arts, with annual All-School Play, Lower School Shakespeare Festival, and numerous other performances and shows
- Foreign language beginning in PreKindergarten: French and Spanish
- Graduates earn admission to top-choice high schools, including Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale (www.crms.org), and a wide range of top independent boarding and day schools around the country
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Carbondale Grades: 9-12 | 176 students
500 Holden Way
Carbondale, CO 81623
(970)963-2562 26.1 9-12
- Carbondale Grades: NS-PK | 98 students
879 Euclid Avenue
Carbondale, CO 81623
(970)963-3506 25.3 NS-PK
- Carbondale Grades: NS-8 | 152 students
16543 Old Highway 82
Carbondale, CO 81623
(970)963-1960 22.3 NS-8
Aspen Country Day School is a nurturing environment that encourages each student to become his or her best. The curriculum includes rigorous academics, arts and outdoor education. Each component is carefully designed to encourage a love of learning, critical thinking, problem solving and character development. Children finish the Journey ready to excel at any high school including top college preparatory schools. The pre-K through 8th grade school is small, with only two classes of 16-18 students per grade. From the youngest grades, students have specialized teachers for art, music, science, technology, drama, literacy, math and physical education. The faculty is largely composed of long-time dedicated teachers of ACDS, thus the students are well known by all teachers. This fortunate situation enables each student to be Known and Loved. ACDS provides many opportunities for students from various grades to develop relationships with each other through all-school Blue/Green competitions; Buddy grades; an All School Holiday Concert and an extremely well produced All School Play written and directed by the graduating 8th grade class each year. Approximately half of each graduating class attend excellent boarding schools each year. They arrive well prepared for the most rigorous demands. More importantly, they are well-balanced, thoughtful, caring and kind with integrity and excellent morals. We are very proud of the school and would recommend it to anyone who wants their child to be well educated in a nurturing, supportive environment with an appreciation and love of the outdoors, arts and academics.
- Posted by Parent - terri
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.