Aspen Country Day School
5.00 (1 review)
Country Day enjoys a beautiful forested campus on Castle Creek. Ponds and mountains provide an ideal natural environment for learning in the outdoors. The entire campus was redone and reopened in 2016 with state-of-the-art classroom buildings that inspire learning and foster creativity.
Shakespeare's works come alive for children in Kindergarten through Fifth Grade each year as each grade studies a particular play, then presents it for the whole school at the Shakespeare Festival each fall.
Circling the pond are three arts buildings completed in 2013: drama, music, and art centers. Children canoe at recess in the fall and spring, and ice skate on the pond in winter.
Outdoor Education trips begin in Kindergarten with a gentle introduction to hiking (complete with s'mores and campfire). Expeditions continue with two trips per year for each grade. We venture across the Rocky Mountain West for rock climbing, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, and desert camping or kayaking. The capstone is an eight-day river trip for the Eighth Graders right before graduation.
The school mascot is the aardvark, chosen by the children in the school's earliest years. ACDS was founded in 1969 by a group of families who sought an independent school alternative in the Roaring Fork Valley. The school today is an energetic mix of East Coast sensibilities with a Western spirit of innovation and adventure.
A robust arts curriculum begins in the earliest grades and continues through Middle School as one of the signature elements of our three-part program balancing academics, arts, and outdoor education. From studio arts to music to performing arts, children develop skills and gain wide exposure to many creative avenues.
- The formative years from PreKindergarten through Eighth Grade are a journey of growing, learning, and becoming your best.
- At Aspen Country Day School, there is joy in the journey; children simply love to come to school here.
- With a 22-acre newly renovated campus on Castle Creek, Country Day is Aspen's only accredited member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Graduates excel at high schools, public and private, across the country.
- ACDS is known for its high teacher-student ratio, its strong arts, outdoor education and foreign language programs, and its traditional private-school environment of courtesy and friendship.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||260 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 16 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $6,700 for two days per week in PreKindergarten to $27,850 for Middle School|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Susan Glah|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, SnowboardingAlpine Skiing, Climbing,|
Ice Hockey, Kayaking,
Mountain Biking, Mountaineering,
Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||after-school programs, Buddy grades, Outdoor Education trips, Ski days Buddy grades, Ski days, after-school programs,|
Outdoor Education trips,
- Traditional academic curriculum prepares students for the top independent and public secondary schools in the country
- Outdoor education trips, two per year, begin in Kindergarten
- Widely respected programs in performing and studio arts, with annual All-School Play and numerous other performances and shows
- Foreign language beginning in PreKindergarten: French and Spanish
- Graduates are prepared for their top-choice high schools, including public high schools in the area, Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale (www.crms.org), and a wide range of top independent boarding and day schools around the country
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- CarbondaleGrades: PK-NS | 98 students
879 Euclid Avenue
Carbondale, CO 81623
- CarbondaleGrades: PK-8 | 152 students
16543 Old Highway 82
Carbondale, CO 81623
- CarbondaleGrades: 9-12 | 148 students
1493 County Road 106
Carbondale, CO 81623
Aspen Country Day School is a nurturing environment that encourages each student to become his or her best. The curriculum includes rigorous academics, arts and outdoor education. Each component is carefully designed to encourage a love of learning, critical thinking, problem solving and character development. Children finish the Journey ready to excel at any high school including top college preparatory schools. The pre-K through 8th grade school is small, with only two classes of 16-18 students per grade. From the youngest grades, students have specialized teachers for art, music, science, technology, drama, literacy, math and physical education. The faculty is largely composed of long-time dedicated teachers of ACDS, thus the students are well known by all teachers. This fortunate situation enables each student to be Known and Loved. ACDS provides many opportunities for students from various grades to develop relationships with each other through all-school Blue/Green competitions; Buddy grades; an All School Holiday Concert and an extremely well produced All School Play written and directed by the graduating 8th grade class each year. Approximately half of each graduating class attend excellent boarding schools each year. They arrive well prepared for the most rigorous demands. More importantly, they are well-balanced, thoughtful, caring and kind with integrity and excellent morals. We are very proud of the school and would recommend it to anyone who wants their child to be well educated in a nurturing, supportive environment with an appreciation and love of the outdoors, arts and academics.
- Posted by Parent - terri
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.