Bay Ridge Preparatory School
5.00 (6 reviews)
After weeks' of practice, Bay Ridge Prep Lower School students perform for their families and friends at the annual Winter Arts Show.
Days before graduation, a Bay Ridge Prep senior student gives a huge hug to a math and science teacher as thanks for years of support, guidance and friendship.
The Bay Ridge Prep Varsity Baseball team pauses for a group photo moments after capping their perfect season with a championship win.
Bay Ridge Prep offers over a dozen interscholastic athletic teams for students to continue developing physically, mentally and socially.
In a Bay Ridge Prep Global History course, students take turns giving oral presentations as a way to practice public communication skills while educating themselves and their peers on important topics that shape today's world.
Middle School students at Bay Ridge Prep take part in leadership and team-building activities as part of the regular school-day curriculum.
- We explicitly teach skills that build emotional and social intelligence which help students create healthy and satisfying relationships in and outside of school.
- We provide students the freedom and responsibility to pursue their interests through open ended projects, course selections and student-initiated clubs.
- We emphasize innovation, creativity and practical application over acquiring rote knowledge that can be easily accessed on any digital device.We build social responsibility through school-wide, student-selected community service initiatives and projects.
- We offer a full array of arts programs including jazz ensemble, ceramics, wood working, graphic design, theater arts, music composition, band, chorus and studio art.
- We value all athletes and celebrate team spirit and positivity in our championship athletic program.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||383 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Dress Code Required)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Alissa Roeder|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Fencing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anime, Chess, Culinary Arts, Literary Journal, Martial Arts, Newspaper, Photography, Tennis, Track, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Band, Dance, Drama/Theatre, Jazz Band, Music/Vocal Lessons, Pottery
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- We provide students with tools of inquiry that will promote their success in life. In addition to learning important facts and concepts, students use research methods to identify and solve problems, to analyze and evaluate information, and to synthesize and apply the results to new situations. In this context, teachers become facilitators of learning. We seek to help students attain a deeper understanding of concepts and issues that are pervasive and enduring.
- We recognize that motivation to learn increases when students are confident about their abilities, advocate for their educational pursuits, and identify connections between what they are learning and their own lives. Teachers strengthen the self-efficacy of their students by organizing instruction around the variety of ways students learn and engaging students in integrative learning experiences that utilize the broad spectrum of their skills and abilities.
- We value the importance of emotional intelligence in helping students create lives that are professionally satisfying and personally fulfilling. Toward that end we create a school community that includes the following: cooperative and experiential learning, role modeling in social interactions among the teachers and students, and school-wide practices that develop self-awareness and encourage social responsibility.
- We believe that individuals have a greater impact on the world when they are self-confident, cognizant of their strengths and weaknesses, and prepared to pursue their interests and passions. Students are exposed to issues that challenge their beliefs, values, and actions, and to experiences that celebrate differences among themselves and others. Through active involvement in building community consciousness within the immediate school environment, students' horizons are broadened to include issues of social justice. Students begin to understand and pursue the responsibilities of being citizens of local, national and global communities.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 235 students
8515 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11209
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 818 students
181 Lincoln Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 968 students
9216 7th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11228
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 1090 students
170 Joralemon St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- BrooklynGrades: PK-8 | 1368 students
2937 86th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11223
Bay Ridge Prep is an exceptional school. My daughter is well respected and treated as an individual. Her teachers are bright, caring and thoughtful. The course work is appropriately rigorous. The students delve deep into subject areas and gain an impressive level of understanding. There is very little busy work so each assignment is meaningful and intended to build on the previous assignment. I am thoroughly impressed and grateful for her and my experience.
- Posted by Parent - Maureen Landers
This is a wonderful school. Caring teachers, son is happier than ever. Couldn't ask for more!
- Posted by Parent - Harry
I have two children in Bay Ridge Prep. One is in the Lower School and one in High School. The education they are receiving is exceptional. They make learning fun and assign unique projects that keep the students engaged. They teach students to be critical thinkers and think for themselves.
- Posted by Parent - Antonia Sardone
I am so happy my children attend Bay Ridge Prep. I have one child in the lower school and one in the high school. The academics are superb, the teachers make learning fun. The kids love working on projects and they build great teamwork skills. The faculty is so nice - they truly care and love teaching.The school is small so the teachers know all the students and parents and that makes the school feel like family. I highly recommend Bay Ridge Prep.
- Posted by Parent - Antonia Sardone
Do you accept kids with iep
- Posted by Parent - Shami
WOW. I have so much to say about this school, I dont know if I could say it in about a paragraph. Everyone is a family here, the teachers and staff go out of there way to get to know each student individually. I struggle with learning disabilities and BRP goes out of it's way to help me in what ever I need. I''ve been going since I was in 6th grade, and I''m in 12th now. I love it, I couldnt ask for a better family and support system.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jenne
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.