- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school in northwest New Jersey, located 65 miles from New York City.
- Amid a caring, vibrant community, 460 students pursue a superior college preparatory education and explore their passions through myriad co-curricular activities.
- Strong faculty-student relationships lead to exceptional learning and empower students to become persons of great accomplishment and character.
- Blair graduates distinguish themselves at top colleges and as leaders in their professions and communities.
Blair Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in New Jersey for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||460 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||54 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus A, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government/Politics, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C - Mechanics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Studio Art Portfolio, US History, World History,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(business casual; no denim)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$64,200|
|Tuition Notes||Day tuition: $44,900|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$41,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Peter G. Curran|
|Admissions Associate||Edward Wenner|
|Endowment Size||$101 million|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||ACTA Yearbook, Admission Ambassadors, Blair Breeze (newspaper), Blue and White Key, Class Council, Society of Skeptics|
Club or Organization:
Blair Academy Dancers, Blair Girls Who Code, Blair International Awareness Club, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Drone Club, Healthy Relationships Committee, Investment Club, Lit Review, Model Congress, Model United Nations, Outdoor Skills, Perspectives, Quiz Bowl, Robotics Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Blair Academy Singers, Blair Academy String Ensemble, Wind Symphony
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school that engages 460 studentsin grades nine through twelve. On our historic campus, located 65 miles from New York City innorthwestern New Jersey, students pursue a superior college preparatory education amid a rich, vibrantcommunity life.Strong student-teacher relationships are at the heart of the Blair experience. Expert faculty membersteach our classes to exacting standards, yet, at the same time, they truly know-and care about-ourstudents as scholars, leaders, athletes, artists, friends and individuals. This knowledge fosterspersonalized learning opportunities and leads to higher academic achievement as students arecontinually challenged to reach their full potential.At Blair, two faculty members mentor each student as he or she explores passions and interests in andout of the classroom. Our robust curriculum offers core courses and innovative electives, including morethan 50 honors, Advanced Placement and post-AP classes, and our emphasis on effectivecommunication ensures students learn how to clearly articulate ideas and knowledge. Blair boasts a fineand performing arts program of depth, breadth and diversity. Regular art exhibits and theatricalproductions, instrumental and choral ensembles, and eclectic courses invite students to develop theircreativity. Fine art and technology intersect in the Chiang Center for Innovation and Collaboration, astate-of-the art learning hub where intellectual discourse, discovery and partnership are fostered inacademic spaces, including media production and art studios, a maker space and Collaboration Forum.Blair has a broad athletics program that emphasizes teamwork, resilience, self-discipline andsportsmanship. Students may choose from among 28 varsity and 18 JV and thirds teams in traditionalhigh school sports, as well as golf, skiing, squash and crew. A host of clubs, weekend events and time tosimply relax with friends round out the Blair experience, giving students myriad opportunities todiscover their best selves.In all of our offerings, Blair prepares our students for success. Leadership education and meaningfulservice initiatives are infused throughout our community and curriculum, and students at every levellearn and practice effective communication, team-based problem solving, ethical decision making andcross-cultural relationship building. Each is a critical skill that will not only help Blair graduatesdistinguish themselves at top colleges and universities, but, more importantly, find professional andpersonal fulfillment by making a difference in their communities and in the world.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montclair Grades: PK-12 | 1054 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973)746-9800 40.2 PK-12
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.