Blue Rock School
5.00 (1 review)
Maximum class sizes of 12 students, allow for personal attention, and in depth discussion. The children are encouraged to ask questions and think critically.
The pure joy of learning through play in our natural setting is interwoven throughout the day. Childhood is preserved at Blue Rock School!
Teacher spending time reading one-on-one with student outside. Smaller class sizes allow for more personal attention.
Middle school continues to be a special time at Blue Rock. Students engage in long term, independent class projects.
Learning comes alive at Blue Rock! The Kindergarten classrooms observe and document the growth of chickens from hatchling to full grown chicken.
- Blue Rock is lower Hudson Valley`s only progressive, independent day school for grades K-8.
- Founded in 1987 to provide an alternative and holistic educational experience, Blue Rock offers a hands-on and experiential environment.
- In small class settings, children follow their natural curiosity and innate love of learning.
- Critical thinking, collaboration and creativity is encouraged, as students engage in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play.
Upcoming Events and News
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$21,600|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for half day Kindergarten is $12,960 and tuition for full day students from K-8th grade is $21,600|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Beverly Stycos|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Guitar Lessons, Pottery
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Blue Rock School offers a progressive education with a hands-on, experiential approach. Our unique learning environment encourages children to follow their own natural curiosity and innate love of learning. In our smaller classes, children engage in a thoughtful, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play, while encouraging critical thinking, collaboration and creativity.
- Practicing a commitment to civil discourse and global community, students actively engage in an educational environment which fosters respect, harmony and an understanding and appreciation of the diversity. Social Learning and positive communication skills are embedded into our curriculum. Students learn that conflict and resolution are important and meaningful parts of successful coexistence, as natural moments of disagreement are used to deepen understanding and hone listening skills.
- Our exceptionally talented and committed teachers consciously choose to teach in an environment where the relationship to the students is at the center and the bridge from which curriculum and academic/artistic achievement are reached.The majority of teachers have Masters degrees in education, as well as additional degrees in Special Education and the Arts. All our teachers hold in common an open and questioning attitude toward the art of education, and that learning is a lifetime journey.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- CongersGrades: PK-12 | 124 students
34 Kings Highway
Congers, NY 10920
- Spring ValleyGrades: NS-12 | 336 students
307 Hungry Hollow Road
Spring Valley, NY 10977
- New WindsorGrades: NS-6 | 165 students
271 Quassaick Ave
New Windsor, NY 12553
- GarnervilleGrades: PK-8 | 300 students
29 Cinder Rd
Garnerville, NY 10923
- NanuetGrades: PK-8 | 220 students
34 West Nyack Road
Nanuet, NY 10954
My children attend Blue Rock School ranging from Kindergarten through Sixth Grade and I am more impressed each year with the focus and passion of the teachers and administrators. My kids are out doors for recess for an hour each day! They love going to school, they enjoy learning, and I feel that they are being educated in a way that acknowledges the effects of body and soul on the intellectual life of a child. If you are looking for an option that will support your child in every possible way you can imagine, Blue Rock School is your place.
- Posted by Parent - gitik
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.