Blue Rock School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (845) 535-3353
Blue Rock School Photo #2 - Blue Rock's Farmhouse School Building, is one of three buildings, set on our beautiful, wooded campus.
Blue Rock School Photo #3 - Creative exploration and discovery is woven into the day in many ways at Blue Rock.
Blue Rock School Photo #4 - Maximum class sizes of 12 students, allow for personal attention, and in depth discussion. The children are encouraged to ask questions and think critically.
Blue Rock School Photo #5 - The pure joy of learning through play in our natural setting is interwoven throughout the day. Childhood is preserved at Blue Rock School!
Blue Rock School Photo #6 - Teacher spending time reading one-on-one with student outside. Smaller class sizes allow for more personal attention.
Blue Rock School Photo #7 - Middle school continues to be a special time at Blue Rock. Students engage in long term, independent class projects.
- Blue Rock is lower Hudson Valley`s only progressive, independent day school for grades K-8.
- Founded in 1987 to provide a non-test driven, project-based, experiential classroom environment.
- In small class settings, children follow their natural curiosity and innate love of learning.
- Critical thinking, collaboration and creativity is encouraged, as students engage in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play.
- Is a Progressive Education a Good Fit For Your Child? - 11/19/2014 - What is a progressive education? Learn more about this engaging and thoughtful approach to teaching children.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,900|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for half day Kindergarten is $13,740 and tuition for full day students from K-8th grade is $22,900|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Rachel Bobrow|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
African Drumming, Fiber Arts, Pottery
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Horseback Riding, Yoga
- Blue Rock School offers a progressive education with a hands-on, experiential approach. Our unique learning environment encourages children to follow their own natural curiosity and innate love of learning. In our smaller classes, children engage in a thoughtful, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play, while encouraging critical thinking, collaboration and creativity.
- Practicing a commitment to civil discourse and global community, students actively engage in an educational environment which fosters respect, harmony and an understanding and appreciation of the diversity. Social Learning and positive communication skills are embedded into our curriculum. Students learn that conflict and resolution are important and meaningful parts of successful coexistence, as natural moments of disagreement are used to deepen understanding and hone listening skills.
- Our exceptionally talented and committed teachers consciously choose to teach in an environment where the relationship to the students is at the center and the bridge from which curriculum and academic/artistic achievement are reached.The majority of teachers have Masters degrees in education, as well as additional degrees in Special Education and the Arts. All our teachers hold in common an open and questioning attitude toward the art of education, and that learning is a lifetime journey.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Windsor Grades: PK-3 | 134 students
271 Quassaick Ave
New Windsor, NY 12553
(845) 562-3711 25.5 PK-3
- Garnerville Grades: K-8 | 211 students
29 Cinder Rd
Garnerville, NY 10923
(845) 947-1330 7.8 K-8
- Nanuet Grades: PK-8 | 176 students
34 West Nyack Road
Nanuet, NY 10954
(845) 623-2311 0.8 PK-8
Our three children have loved being at Blue Rock every year! One is graduated, one is in seventh grade and one in fifth grade and they all relish the things that make the school special. The time outside really fosters friendships and a love and respect of nature. The smaller class sizes are amazing! This allows the teachers to really get to know the students. Blue Rock is a place where children feel comfortable being themselves. The holistic nature of the school respects each student as a unique individual. You will not find a more dedicated group of educators to support your child in every way.Academically, they are challenged, but in a way that honors different types of learners.Our children have loved school all the way through and so have we! It`s a great community to be a part of.
- Posted by Parent - Parent
My children have all attended Blue Rock since kindergarten. I have one alum and two current students. The school instills a true "love of learning" in the students. The curriculum is such that it encourages curiosity and this curiosity extends beyond the 8th grade. I also appreciate that the arts are still important here - every student has art, music, and drama. Lastly, I love that my kids are outside in nature playing and having fun, but then can come inside and be super focused in the classroom, learning what they need to be prepared for high school. If you want a place where the joy of learning is nurtured with individualized attention, I encourage you to take a close look at Blue Rock.
- Posted by Parent - cathyh
My children attend Blue Rock School ranging from Kindergarten through Sixth Grade and I am more impressed each year with the focus and passion of the teachers and administrators. My kids are out doors for recess for an hour each day! They love going to school, they enjoy learning, and I feel that they are being educated in a way that acknowledges the effects of body and soul on the intellectual life of a child. If you are looking for an option that will support your child in every possible way you can imagine, Blue Rock School is your place.
- Posted by Parent - gitik
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.