Green Meadow Waldorf School
5.00 (8 reviews)
In our Nursery and Kindergarten programs, young children learn through open-ended, imaginative play and direct experience in activities like cooking and baking.
Our approach emphasizes healthy physical, social, and emotional development though an age-appropriate curriculum.
In our Lower School, we offer an interdisciplinary curriculum where art, music, movement, world languages, and hands-on experiences complement and deepen a child's understanding of the academic subject areas.
Our High School emphasizes independent, critical thinking through rigorous academic classes, curricular trips, foreign exchange, independent study, and internships.
We offer a full athletic program including soccer, cross country, volleyball, track, basketball, and baseball. Students take part in many clubs from Robotics, to Model UN, to Jazz Improv, to Environmental and Social Activism.
- We teach students to think for themselves. Green Meadow students are creative, curious, confident, well-rounded people who make a difference in the world.
- Green Meadow Waldorf School serves children and their familes from birth to grade 12 through our Parent & Child Program, Nursery, Kindergarten, Lower School, and High School.
- Founded in 1950 and situated on 11 beautiful acres, we are one of the oldest, largest Waldorf schools in the US, with about 315 students.
- Benefiting from discovery and play in our Early Childhood program, interdisciplinary experiences where the arts, movevent, and music are integrated into the academic subject in the Lower School, and rigorous intellectual challenges in the High School, Green Meadow students go on to top colleges and fulfilling careers. New! Forest Preschool, September 2018
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||316 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,100|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $10,100 for Nursery to $25,800 for 12th grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Melissa McDonagh|
|Endowment Size||$0.3 million|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Group, Drama Club, LBGT+ Club, League of Environmental Activists, Literary Magazine Committee, Robotics Club, Science Club, Student Council, Yearbook Committee
Arts and Music Programs:
High School Talent Show Committee
- Green Meadow Waldorf School is one of more than nearly 1000 Waldorf schools worldwide, which hold in common the aims of the original Waldorf school to nurture a clear and responsible sense of self in all students, heightening their awareness of the larger world and their part in it.
- Every Green Meadow Waldorf School student receives an education that incorporates world languages, an appreciation and respect for worldwide cultures both current and historical, and a broad array of fine and performing arts including, music, movement, sculpture, painting, drawing. Our excellent math program builds proficiency in arithmetic, geometry, algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Science offerings contain a strong empirical component, allowing students to learn scientific principles through first-hand experience and observation.
- The curriculum incorporates many field trips and activities designed to bring the subject matter to life.
- The school is in walking distance of the Pfeiffer Center, an biodynamic gardening training center; Sunbridge Institute, a Waldorf teacher training school; the School of Eurythmy; the Fellowship Community, which cares for the elderly and maintains a farm and biodynamic apple orchard; the Hungry Hollow Co-op, a natural foods cooperative market; and the Threefold swimming pond. This extended community, situated on over 200 adjacent acres, provides opportunities for students to bring the curriculum to life by connecting classroom lessons to real-world experiences.
- Green Meadow Waldorf School is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), and the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America (WECAN).
Lower School Video
High School Video
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Congers Grades: PK-12 | 124 students
34 Kings Highway
Congers, NY 10920
(845)268-6802 7.6 PK-12
- New City Grades: PK-8 | 220 students
114 S Main St
New City, NY 10956
(845)634-7060 5.7 PK-8
- Garnerville Grades: PK-8 | 300 students
29 Cinder Rd
Garnerville, NY 10923
(845)947-1330 9.8 PK-8
- New City Grades: KG-6 | 96 students
384 New Hempstead Rd
New City, NY 10956
(845)634-7977 5 KG-6
- West Nyack Grades: K-8 | 90 students
110 Demarest Mill Road
West Nyack, NY 10994
(845)535-3353 4.2 K-8
We are a newish family to GMWS (parent-child, then Kindergarten and now 1st grade) and the education is grounded in age- and developmental-appropriate approaches and is founded with such lively, daily intention. The community aspect is phenomenal and the communication is open, the decisions transparent, and the leadership evolving.
- Posted by Parent - Rabbi Chasya-Uriel Steinbauer
An amazing place to come to work every day. I am constantly inspired by my colleagues, the students, and the parents here. Grateful to be a part of this wonderful community.
- Posted by Administrator - Averi
It's simply an amazing school. Deeply rooted with solid pedagogy and amazing teachers, who their love of their profession, and their love of life translates to well grounded, motivated and exceptionally successful students. The school curriculum develop students in a well rounded and integrated manner helping students progress in all aspects of life; from STEM and english, languages, to music, to visual arts, drama, love of nature, love of learning, love of creating, critical thinking, building self confidence and self expression.For those who are not familiar with this school, I highly recommend attending an open house / walk through the grades and meet the high school students. The "products" this school nurture are truly exceptional young people.We are grateful we have the opportunity to send our kids to GM and would recommend anyone to explore this direction.
- Posted by Parent - AG
Our family found Waldorf education serendipitously, when our daughter was a toddler, and it has positively enlightened my approach to parenting and to education at large. Green Meadow delivers on the promises of a Waldorf education: to teach children to think for themselves and to cultivate a love of learning within, with a fabulous campus, myriad opportunities for arts and self-discovery and expression, and purposeful academics that strive to truly understand the facets of life. Topics are developmentally appropriate, full of wonder in the early years and wisdom in the later. I wish I had had this education as a boy and am so grateful life revealed this gift to us for our child.
- Posted by Parent - Rob, a grateful parent
Green Meadow is a very special place. My children studied a wide variety of subjects and became mathematicians, writers, actors, musicians, artists and confident speakers. Their exposure to so many things fueled their success in college. I think the education at this school is worth every penny.
- Posted by Parent - Alum Parent
My daughter is now in 4th grade and has been here since she was in Parent & Child classes at 11 months. Thanks to her education at Green Meadow, she is already an avid reader, very agile and athletic, capable in math, a skilled knitter, a beautiful singer, and is learning German, French, and viola. The teachers are dedicated and the campus is beautiful. There's real community here, and the graduates are well-rounded people.
- Posted by Parent - Happy parent
I cannot say enough good things about this school...it is a very special place. It is our community, our second home. My children learn in an interdisciplinary way that incorporates academics, art, music, multiple languages, hands-on experiences, and nature. Green Meadow graduates are the Renaissance people who have deep and varied interests--they're scholars, artists, musicians, athletes, humanitarians.
- Posted by Parent - Crf
my son attended the high school, when my husband and I, frustrated with his progress in the public schools, decided to enroll him. The school, its philosophy, its method of education, and its teachers transformed him. His thinking process, his knowledge, his performance was changed for life. He went on to acquire multiple degrees, and is now a physician in New York City. He would never have made it without the life changing effects of the environment of this school. and we are grateful.
- Posted by Parent - lnass
June 20, 2018
You would think it would be easier to get your child into an elementary or primary school than into a prep school. But in fact it is almost as complicated.
June 07, 2018
If you have the chance to move overseas, don't worry about educating your children. You have several options.
May 10, 2018
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.