Cambridge Montessori School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (617) 492-3410
Cambridge Montessori School encourages independent, self-directed learning for life in a child-centered, international community valuing peace, respect for others, and pride in individual differences.
Cambridge Montessori School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other Montessori association(s)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||238 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by program. Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jenifer M Demko|
|Admissions Associate||Nikki Toon|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, ClimbingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
- Our Mission
- At Cambridge Montessori School, we partner with our diverse community, using authentic Montessori principles, to reveal each child`s innate love of learning and prepare our children to thrive in a complex world.
- Our Philosophy
- Cambridge Montessori School was founded in 1963 to foster a love of learning and to educate children to be caring, socially responsible citizens of their community and world. The educational and supplemental care programs at CMS involve children from twenty-one months through grade 8 in four different programs: Toddler, Primary, Elementary and Middle School. CMS seeks to educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy, in a family-oriented environment. The philosophy is based on the principles of Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952) whose holistic vision of education focuses on the cognitive, social, emotional and physical needs of the child. For Dr. Montessori, and for CMS, education is preparation for life.CMS seeks to educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy, in a family-oriented environment.
- Our Sustainability Mission
- Cambridge Montessori School fosters a sustainable relationship to the global environment by linking knowledge, inquiry and action, enabling current generations to meet their needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs and building a future that supports all life on our planet.
- Our Diversity Statement
- We hold diversity itself as a value and nurture awareness of the global community by welcoming people of differing races, cultures, genders, ages, abilities, languages, economic and social backgrounds, political beliefs and religions, family styles, nationalities and sexual orientations into a safe, accepting and respectful environment where we learn together, honoring and embracing our humanity.
- Statement of Non-Discrimination
- CMS is a non-sectarian institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national or cultural origin, sexual orientation, family style, political belief, or disability in the administration of its admissions, financial assistance, education or employment practices.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-6100 0.9 PK-12
- Cambridge Grades: PK-8 | 536 students
178 Coolidge Hill
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 520-5200 1 PK-8
Cambridge Montessori School is a timeless masterpiece that never fails to unite the child with their love of learning! That is simply a priceless gift! Seems like every local public or private school in and around the Cambridge area strive for a collaborative, diverse, communicative, and transformative environment. I hear these words a lot and I think, "these are powerful words...what parent doesn't want these experiences and values infused in their children's' education?" But they are words, and too often words with no tangible execution. Cambridge Montessori School (or CMS as I call it) is ahead of the curve in countless ways, and other schools in the area will be wise to observe and take note of how Montessori education puts these goals (or words) into action. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd go to CMS! Put your goals into action and check out this school.
- Posted by Parent - Veevil
I am the proud parent of a CMS student in his 4th year with the school. As a toddler, he entered with very few verbal skills and has grown to be a happy and productive kindergartener. He runs to the red room with joy each and every school day and I thank the school for how they have embraced and shaped my child.
- Posted by Parent - Pjfoo
This school is wonderful. Our oldest son attended another private school in the neighborhood after kindergarten at CMS since the school did not extend to elementary and middle school back then. Luckily, our twins now have the opportunity to stay through 8th grade in a classroom environment, which continuously builds upon their individual talents and development stages. Our kids literally run to school every morning, eagerly anticipating every facet of their school day! We are convinced that this enthusiasm for learning is the biggest gift we can give them for their future.
- Posted by Parent - anjal
Cambridge Montessori School embraced both of my children and placed them at the center of the learning experience. They love going to this school and their CMS experience has taught them to love learning. My second grader interacts with adults gracefully and articulately because of the skills and confidence this schooling experience has given her. CMS has an advanced music, art, and drama offering and the teachers encourage academic excellence. I would recommend CMS to any parent looking for a school that supports a curriculum that encourages independence and confidence in addition to accelerated learning.
- Posted by Parent - ameli
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.