- Cambridge Montessori School encourages independent, self-directed learning for life in a child-centered, international community valuing peace, respect for others, and pride in individual differences.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other Montessori association(s)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||238 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by program. Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jenifer M Demko|
|Admissions Associate||Nikki Toon|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, ClimbingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
- Our Mission
- At Cambridge Montessori School, we partner with our diverse community, using authentic Montessori principles, to reveal each child`s innate love of learning and prepare our children to thrive in a complex world.
- Our Philosophy
- Cambridge Montessori School was founded in 1963 to foster a love of learning and to educate children to be caring, socially responsible citizens of their community and world. The educational and supplemental care programs at CMS involve children from twenty-one months through grade 8 in four different programs: Toddler, Primary, Elementary and Middle School. CMS seeks to educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy, in a family-oriented environment. The philosophy is based on the principles of Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952) whose holistic vision of education focuses on the cognitive, social, emotional and physical needs of the child. For Dr. Montessori, and for CMS, education is preparation for life.CMS seeks to educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy, in a family-oriented environment.
- Our Sustainability Mission
- Cambridge Montessori School fosters a sustainable relationship to the global environment by linking knowledge, inquiry and action, enabling current generations to meet their needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs and building a future that supports all life on our planet.
- Our Diversity Statement
- We hold diversity itself as a value and nurture awareness of the global community by welcoming people of differing races, cultures, genders, ages, abilities, languages, economic and social backgrounds, political beliefs and religions, family styles, nationalities and sexual orientations into a safe, accepting and respectful environment where we learn together, honoring and embracing our humanity.
- Statement of Non-Discrimination
- CMS is a non-sectarian institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national or cultural origin, sexual orientation, family style, political belief, or disability in the administration of its admissions, financial assistance, education or employment practices.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 1018 students
80 Gerrys Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
CambridgeGrades: PK-8 | 511 students
178 Coolidge Hill
Cambridge, MA 02138
Newton CenterGrades: NS-6 | 211 students
80 Crescent Avenue
Newton Center, MA 02459
BrooklineGrades: PK-8 | 555 students
171 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
CambridgeGrades: PK-8 | 200 students
765 Concord Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
I am the proud parent of a CMS student in his 4th year with the school. As a toddler, he entered with very few verbal skills and has grown to be a happy and productive kindergartener. He runs to the red room with joy each and every school day and I thank the school for how they have embraced and shaped my child.
- Posted by Parent - Pjfoo
This school is wonderful. Our oldest son attended another private school in the neighborhood after kindergarten at CMS since the school did not extend to elementary and middle school back then. Luckily, our twins now have the opportunity to stay through 8th grade in a classroom environment, which continuously builds upon their individual talents and development stages. Our kids literally run to school every morning, eagerly anticipating every facet of their school day! We are convinced that this enthusiasm for learning is the biggest gift we can give them for their future.
- Posted by Parent - anjal
Cambridge Montessori School embraced both of my children and placed them at the center of the learning experience. They love going to this school and their CMS experience has taught them to love learning. My second grader interacts with adults gracefully and articulately because of the skills and confidence this schooling experience has given her. CMS has an advanced music, art, and drama offering and the teachers encourage academic excellence. I would recommend CMS to any parent looking for a school that supports a curriculum that encourages independence and confidence in addition to accelerated learning.
- Posted by Parent - ameli
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.