- The Center on Deafness, a not for profit Illinois Corporation, began serving the deaf and hard of hearing community nearly thirty years ago and has only one mission, to serve both children and adults who have hearing impairments with additional handicapping conditions such as mental illness or developmental disabilities.
- We are only one of a few organizations in the country that serves only the deaf and hard of hearing population with additional disabilities.
- Since its inception, the Center has had as its purpose the treatment and rehabilitation of clients who are deaf or hard of hearing, along with other disabilities, with return to the community at large or integration into the community with assistance as the goal for each client.
- Residential services for adults and students are based in the community using apartments, townhouses and homes to create a less restrictive more normal environment.
- An experienced staff trained in the area of deafness and fluent in the use of sign language provides treatment, life skills training, and vocational and social skills training to clients.
- Qualified, certified and licensed social work, psychiatric, nursing, vocational and educational staffs are part of the team that provides service to the population.
- The Center contracts with the only hospital psychiatric unit for the deaf in the State of Illinois should hospitalization be required for clients.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Total Students||14 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Arlington HeightsGrades: 2-8 | 17 students
2525 E Oakton St
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Des PlainesGrades: 4-12
1150 N River Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60016
ChicagoGrades: K-12 | 47 students
520 N Marshfield Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
PalatineGrades: 1-12 | 98 students
909 E Wilmette Rd Ste F
Palatine, IL 60074
ChicagoGrades: 1-8 | 56 students
6254 S. Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.