- Cheverus High School is a private, Catholic college preparatory school sponsored by the Society of Jesus.
- The school exists to educate the students of Maine according to the 460-year-old Jesuit tradition of excellence in education.
- The purposes and objectives of the school find their inspiration in the insights of the founder of the Jesuits, Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
- The Ignatian vision of the "magis" challenges the entire Cheverus community to seek the "greater good" and to embody this vision by becoming men and women for others.
- Cheverus High School strives to develop the potential of each student, preparing the young person for further education. The faculty structures each course according to disciplined, rigorous standards, requiring serious effort from each student.
- To challenge gifted students, Cheverus maintains both advanced placement and honors sections in most academic disciplines.
- For the student of demonstrated need, the school provides study skill development through courses in fundamental college preparatory skills.
- Cheverus encourages achievement by all its students through a variety of incentives and honors.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Jesuit Secondary Education Association (JSEA)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||instructional support|
|Total Students||444 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP: Calculus, Statistics, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Latin, Spanish, AP: US History, European History, Honors: Algebra I, II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, English I, II, III, IV, Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, Physics, French II, III, IV, V, Latin II, III, IV, Spanish IV, V, History II, III|
|Average SAT score||1230|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Boys: Khaki pants, suit jacket, button down shirt, tie Girls: Khaki pant/skirt, button down, blazer)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 17 / Aug. 17 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,360|
|Tuition Notes||Students are responsible to purchase books. This cost is approximately $300-$500.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Ruth Summers|
|Admissions Associate||Nancy Thomas|
|Total Sports Offered||24 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
Cross Country, Diving,
Field Hockey, Flag Football,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Softball, Baseball, Field Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Swimming & Diving, Sailing, Volleyball, Football, Wrestling, Soccer, Cross Country, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Alpine Skiing, Chess, Homefront, Recycling, Spanish, Math, Outdoor, Drama, Debate, Key Club, International Club, Campus Ministry, Student Council, Student Life, Academic Decathlon, Girls Ice Hockey, Girls Lacrosse, Girls Soccer, Solstice, Jazz Band, Choir Girls Lacrosse, Girls Soccer, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Softball, Baseball, Field Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Swimming & Diving, Sailing, Volleyball, Football, Wrestling, Soccer, Cross Country, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Alpine Skiing,
Chess, Homefront, Recycling, Spanish, Math, Outdoor, Drama, Debate, Key Club, International Club, Campus Ministry, Student Council, Student Life, Academic Decathlon,
Girls Ice Hockey,
Solstice, Jazz Band, Choir,
- Current 8, 9, 10 grade students Good standing academically/behaviorally at current school Application, Application fee, Transcripts, School reccomendation, Student essay, Parent essay
People that viewed Cheverus High School also viewed these schools: The Maine Girls' Academy (formerly Catherine McAuley High School), Friends School of Portland and Breakwater School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PortlandGrades: 9-12 | 145 students
631 Stevens Avenue
Portland, ME 04103
FalmouthGrades: PK-8 | 82 students
11 U.S. Route One
Falmouth, ME 04110
PortlandGrades: PK-8 | 129 students
856 Brighton Ave
Portland, ME 04102