Foxcroft Academy Photo #3 - Students at Foxcroft Academy utilize iPads throughout their academic courses to enhance their learning experiences.
- Foxcroft Academy located in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine was established as a private college preparatory school on January 30, 1823, and as such, is one of the oldest private schools in America. Today Foxcroft Academy serves a diverse co-ed population of 400 day and boarding students in grades 9-12.
- Foxcroft Academy is an IB School, accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and a member of the Independent School Association of Northern New England College Board, The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS).
Foxcroft Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Maine for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||400 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art, Biology, Calculus, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics: Micro and Macro, English, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Sciences, French, Government and Politics, History, Physics, Physics B &C, Psychology, Statistics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1300|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Business Casual )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$51,750|
|Tuition Notes||No additional fees|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jason I. Tardy|
|Admissions Associate||Miranda Nelson|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Dance, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Bible Club, Chess Club, Cribbage Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Environmental Club, French Club, History Club, International Club, Key Club International, Latin Club, Library Club, Math Team, National Honor Society, Outdoor Club, Peer Helping, Robotics Club, Spanish Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Chorus, Hob Nails Boots (Literary Journal), Jazz Band, Orchestra, Rock Band, Select Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Location The rural town of Dover-Foxcroft (population 5,200+) is situated in an area that provides opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, white water rafting, swimming, hiking, biking, ice skating, and snowmobiling. It is 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, 10 miles from the mountains and lakes of northern Maine and 3-4 hours from Portland and Boston.
- Academic Program The Academy offers a challenging college-preparatory curriculum, with 142 course offerings including the IB Programme, 32 Honors Courses and 21 Advanced Placement courses. Foxcroft Academy's math and science programs exceed national standards and utilize state-of-the-art technology. Students in Foxcroft Academy's well-known humanities program understand the culture of an era through a study of its history, literature, art, and music. The foreign language program includes four levels of French, Latin, German, and Spanish. In addition to the traditional offerings, students may take courses in music composition, web-design, art history, economics, computer-assisted drawing, personal finance, vocational subjects, and ethics. Foxcroft Academy offers a comprehensive ESL program for the international student who is planning for a university education. Musical education at Foxcroft Academy is more than learning to sing or play an instrument. Music is a science, a mental discipline, and an art. Students are able to participate in a variety of programs and courses of study, including orchestra and chamber ensemble, band, jazz ensemble, select choir, and percussion ensemble. Art education takes place in the modern Ebersteen Art Center, where students are engaged in everything from the study of art history to pottery and jewelry making. Foxcroft Academy has 72 staff members, including 43 faculty, and a student-faculty ratio of 16:1. The faculty is committed to fully preparing students for college and university studies.
- University and College Counseling A long list of illustrious names testifies to the success Foxcroft Academy graduates have achieved in various fields, including law and medicine. One such graduate was Dr. Mary Chandler Lowell of the class of 1881, who to this date is the only known woman anywhere in the world to have earned the degrees of Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Law, and Doctor of Jurisprudence. Foxcroft graduates have gone on to such prestigious institutions as Harvard University, Boston College, Bowdoin College, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Michigan State University, Middlebury College, Northeastern University, Purdue University, Smith College, Emory University, UC-Berkley, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Yale University.
- Boarding Facilities Students are housed in two residential-style dormitories, which have all modern conveniences, including wireless Internet hookups. On school nights, structured study sessions take place between 8:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., with lights out by 11:00. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided seven days a week in the student dining hall, which features a grill with a wide selection of food to choose from.
- Athletics Foxcroft Academy's commitment to excellence extends beyond the classroom to the playing fields, where the school has a long and proud tradition in athletics. In recent years, the Academy's wrestling, football, baseball, field hockey and cross-country teams have won multiple state and regional championships. There are nearly thirty interscholastic sports teams, both girls' and boys'. All students have an opportunity to try out for any sport they wish. In sports like football, soccer, swimming, track, cross-country, and tennis, everyone makes the team at either a varsity or junior varsity level. Programs like basketball, field hockey, and baseball carry a limited squad, but even here, most students who try out make the team.
- Extracurricular Opportunities Foxcroft provides a rich environment-one that is intellectually challenging in and out of the classroom. The Academy offers more than twenty clubs and student organizations, including the Latin Club, the Key Club, the Gaming Club, the French Club, the Drama Club, and International Club. Other opportunities include musical theater productions, dance ensembles, art showings, photojournalism for all programs, theater productions and marching band.
- Weekend Life On Friday nights, many interscholastic sports teams have their games, and everyone cheers for the FA Ponies. Saturdays are often spent skiing or snowboarding at Squaw Mountain on Moosehead Lake or taking a trip to L. L. Bean, Boston, or the local YMCA for swimming. Spring and early fall provide opportunities to go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, and Sebec Lake. An annual trip to New York City, Boston, or Washington, D.C., is scheduled for all boarding students. Foxcroft Academy encourages students to attend a few cultural events each semester. On-campus choices include the regionally recognized fall musical, usually a well-known Broadway show such as Hello, Dolly! or Fiddler on the Roof, and a fall or spring music concert.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bethel Grades: 9-12 | 205 students
39 Church Street
Bethel, ME 04217
(207)824-7700 98.7 9-12
- Fryeburg Grades: 9-12 | 583 students
745 Main St
Fryeburg, ME 04037
(207)935-2013 116.7 9-12
- Lee Grades: 9-12 | 204 students
26 Winn Road
Lee, ME 04455
(207)738-2252 48.1 9-12
- Mayer Grades: 8-12 | 142 students
1000 Orme School Rd
Mayer, AZ 86333
(928)632-7601 2367.1 8-12
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.