- Top Ranked ME School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 397 students
- Yearly Tuition: $51,750
- Acceptance rate: 65%
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Foxcroft Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Maine for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Bible Club, Chess Club, Cribbage Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Environmental Club, French Club, History Club, International Club, Key Club International, Latin Club, Library Club, Math Team, National Honor Society, Outdoor Club, Peer Helping, Robotics Club, Spanish Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Chorus, Hob Nails Boots (Literary Journal), Jazz Band, Orchestra, Rock Band, Select Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Team, Equestrian Club, Indoor soccer
- Location The rural town of Dover-Foxcroft (population 5,200+) is situated in an area that provides opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, white water rafting, swimming, hiking, biking, ice skating, and snowmobiling. It is 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, 10 miles from the mountains and lakes of northern Maine and 3-4 hours from Portland and Boston.
- Academic Program The Academy offers a challenging college-preparatory curriculum, with 142 course offerings including the IB Programme, 32 Honors Courses and 21 Advanced Placement courses. Foxcroft Academy's math and science programs exceed national standards and utilize state-of-the-art technology. Students in Foxcroft Academy's well-known humanities program understand the culture of an era through a study of its history, literature, art, and music. The foreign language program includes four levels of French, Latin, German, and Spanish. In addition to the traditional offerings, students may take courses in music composition, web-design, art history, economics, computer-assisted drawing, personal finance, vocational subjects, and ethics. Foxcroft Academy offers a comprehensive ESL program for the international student who is planning for a university education. Musical education at Foxcroft Academy is more than learning to sing or play an instrument. Music is a science, a mental discipline, and an art. Students are able to participate in a variety of programs and courses of study, including orchestra and chamber ensemble, band, jazz ensemble, select choir, and percussion ensemble. Art education takes place in the modern Ebersteen Art Center, where students are engaged in everything from the study of art history to pottery and jewelry making. Foxcroft Academy has 72 staff members, including 43 faculty, and a student-faculty ratio of 16:1. The faculty is committed to fully preparing students for college and university studies.
- University and College Counseling A long list of illustrious names testifies to the success Foxcroft Academy graduates have achieved in various fields, including law and medicine. One such graduate was Dr. Mary Chandler Lowell of the class of 1881, who to this date is the only known woman anywhere in the world to have earned the degrees of Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Law, and Doctor of Jurisprudence. Foxcroft graduates have gone on to such prestigious institutions as Harvard University, Boston College, Bowdoin College, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Michigan State University, Middlebury College, Northeastern University, Purdue University, Smith College, Emory University, UC-Berkley, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Yale University.
- Boarding Facilities Students are housed in two residential-style dormitories, which have all modern conveniences, including wireless Internet hookups. On school nights, structured study sessions take place between 8:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., with lights out by 11:00. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided seven days a week in the student dining hall, which features a grill with a wide selection of food to choose from.
- Athletics Foxcroft Academy's commitment to excellence extends beyond the classroom to the playing fields, where the school has a long and proud tradition in athletics. In recent years, the Academy's wrestling, football, baseball, field hockey and cross-country teams have won multiple state and regional championships. There are nearly thirty interscholastic sports teams, both girls' and boys'. All students have an opportunity to try out for any sport they wish. In sports like football, soccer, swimming, track, cross-country, and tennis, everyone makes the team at either a varsity or junior varsity level. Programs like basketball, field hockey, and baseball carry a limited squad, but even here, most students who try out make the team.
- Extracurricular Opportunities Foxcroft provides a rich environment-one that is intellectually challenging in and out of the classroom. The Academy offers more than twenty clubs and student organizations, including the Latin Club, the Key Club, the Gaming Club, the French Club, the Drama Club, and International Club. Other opportunities include musical theater productions, dance ensembles, art showings, photojournalism for all programs, theater productions and marching band.
- Weekend Life On Friday nights, many interscholastic sports teams have their games, and everyone cheers for the FA Ponies. Saturdays are often spent skiing or snowboarding at Squaw Mountain on Moosehead Lake or taking a trip to L. L. Bean, Boston, or the local YMCA for swimming. Spring and early fall provide opportunities to go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, and Sebec Lake. An annual trip to New York City, Boston, or Washington, D.C., is scheduled for all boarding students. Foxcroft Academy encourages students to attend a few cultural events each semester. On-campus choices include the regionally recognized fall musical, usually a well-known Broadway show such as Hello, Dolly! or Fiddler on the Roof, and a fall or spring music concert.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Foxcroft Academy cost?
Foxcroft Academy's tuition is approximately $51,750 for private students.
What schools are Foxcroft Academy often compared to?
Foxcroft Academyis often viewed alongside schools like Maine Central Institute by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Foxcroft Academy?
The acceptance rate of Foxcroft Academy is 65%, which is lower than the national average of 74%.
What sports does Foxcroft Academy offer?
Foxcroft Academy offers 16 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track and Wrestling. Foxcroft Academy is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Maine for most sports offered.
What is Foxcroft Academy's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Foxcroft Academy?
The application deadline for Foxcroft Academy is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Foxcroft Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards