Washington Academy is one of the oldest college preparatory schools in New England.
With more than 100 different classes, students have plenty of options to shape their studies to their interests and needs.
In addition to excellent programs in traditional studies such as Science, Mathematics, English, and World History and Culture, Washington Academy also offers unique hands-on programs such as Boat Building and Environmental Science.
Our extensive use of "nature as a classroom" sets us apart among boarding schools in Maine and New England.
- Top Ranked ME School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 421 students
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild Learning Differences
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 13%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Bowling, Chess, Culinary Arts, Dance, Envirothon, Fiber Arts, Math Team, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure, Robotics, Silver Quill Literary Magazine, Ski CLub, STARS, Student Council, Tri-M Honor Society, WA Players Drama Club, Water Polo
- 85% of graduates go on to post-secondary programs, college or university.
- Washington Academy sits on 65 acres with 9 major buildings.
- WA is 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean
- Students provide over 500 hours of community service
- 11 Advanced Placement courses are offered
- 4-week summer program for English immersion, ESL
- 100+ courses including Mandarin Chinese and Coastal Ecology
- 15 staff and faculty members reside on campus
I''m an exchange student and I attempted this school in my junior year and I LOVED IT! It's a big school in a small, safe, cozy neighborhood. The school gives you big variety of subjects and a lot of different athletics. Whenever I had any troubles the headmaster and teachers were always available to help me. Nice and small classes which makes easy to ask teachers questions, and easy for teachers to talk with every student. I''d very recommend this school to anyone!
As a parent, I could not be more pleased with the education and the social environment at WA.
Endorse Washington Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.