Elevate your education at Gould Academy, nestled in the picturesque mountain village of Bethel, Maine, since 1836.
Our remarkable snow sports program, in partnership with Sunday River Resort, is unparalleled.
Students embrace the slopes as ski patrollers, instructors, enthusiasts, and competitive athletes taking advantage of Sunday River's expansive terrain.
Academics are equally extraordinary, with innovative faculty providing experiential learning like hand-building skis and snowboards and investigating the natural world surrounding campus in environmental science.
The Four Point Program delivers a holistic education, featuring world travel and cultural immersion as ninth-graders and a transformative winter camping expedition in eleventh grade.
Gould fosters independence in our exceptional residential environment. Dorm life extends the classroom, shaping students into self-reliant individuals within a vibrant community.
With a network of caring mentors guiding every Gould journey, students reach their peak potential.
- Top Ranked ME School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 190 students
- Yearly Tuition: $71,000
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
- Gould Alum Peyton Meader ’22 on MIT All-Indigenous Rocket Launch Team - 11/17/2023Peyton Meader '22 is a member of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) first all-Indigenous Rocket Team in Cambridge, MA, where she is a second-year chemical engineering student. The team, Doya, recently placed second in the First Nations Launch international student competition with a blast that reached a height of 1,290 meters. Peyton was featured prominently in an article for the MIT News and on the MIT website, and the story was reported locally by The Bethel Citizen. We're following Peyton's career closely and are among her biggest fans. Congrats, Peyton!
- Chris Pyle '23 Takes Second Place in Bill Taylor Essay Contest, Advocates for Internet Equality - 08/01/2023The Camden Conference has announced this year's Bill Taylor Essay Contest Winners. Representing Gould, Chris Pyle '23 earned second place for his essay, "Assessing Internet Inequality in the US."
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 16%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Government Comparative, Physics, Statistics, US History
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Day Tuition: $53,250
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- Private High School for Boys and Girls
- Grades 9-12, Postgraduate and Winter Term for Grades 7-8
- Boarding School in the Mountains of Maine
- Founded in 1836 and located in the historic mountain village of Bethel, Maine, Gould celebrates winter through an unparalleled partnership with Sunday River Resort. Students experience the mountain by becoming ski patrollers and instructors, sliding on rails and racing through gates, or discovering a lifelong passion by simply learning to ski and ride. We flip our daily schedule in the winter and begin our days on snow to take advantage of the best conditions, returning to campus for academics in the afternoon. Sunday River is one of the largest ski and snowboard resorts in the Eastern United States, and we explore every acre of terrain. Academics at Gould are both challenging and inspiring. Our innovative faculty offers unique and intentional experiential opportunities you won't find at other schools. Hand-build your own skis or snowboard. Pilot underwater robots in the Marlon Family IDEAS Center, Gould's maker space. Investigate the natural world surrounding campus in Environmental Science. Develop your artistic passions, hammering iron in the blacksmithing forge. Become a world traveler with your ninth-grade classmates, and go on a winter camping expedition in the White Mountains in our signature Four Point Program. Gould Academy delivers an exceptional residential boarding school experience. The dorms are an extension of the classroom where students learn to live independently and engage with a vibrant community. At the heart of every Gould journey is a network of caring adults to mentor students and help shape their future. Advisors, coaches, teachers, and dorm parents become trusted adults that students can depend on. Elevate your expectations-reach your peak potential.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ronan Donovan '01 - National Geographic Photographer. Read more at https://www.gouldacademy.org/alumni/connect/seeing-the-bigger-picture-with-ronan-donovan-01
- Finnian Donovan '05 - Running Tide Director of Operations. Read more at https://www.gouldacademy.org/alumni/connect/looking-to-the-ocean-for-sustainability.
- Troy Murphy '10 - Troy Murphy (born June 13, 1992) is an American freestyle skier. He came in 4th in the Men's Moguls competition in the 2018 Winter Olympics. He's since achieved notoriety on social media for portraying a character named Donny Pelletier, an out-of-control hot dogger with a wicked Maine accent and a penchant for swilling Moxie.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Gould Academy cost?
Gould Academy's tuition is approximately $71,000 for private students.
Who are famous alumni from Gould Academy?
Gould Academy famous alumni include: Ronan Donovan '01, Finnian Donovan '05 and Troy Murphy '10.
What sports does Gould Academy offer?
Gould Academy offers 21 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis and Track and Field. Gould Academy is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Maine for most sports offered.
What is Gould Academy's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Gould Academy?
The application deadline for Gould Academy is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Great place for a child to learn how to be resilient and curious. Many different clubs, activities, and sports to be involved in. The mountain town location is pretty spectacular, too.
Gould is an amazing school full of wonderful opportunities and a very supportive environment! My favourite teacher is Mr. Greene!
Endorse Gould Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Making Social Media Work for Your School
An introduction to using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to promote your school.
SEO for Private Schools - Part 3: Using Social Media
Social media for private K-12 schools is a bit different from social media for businesses. Some tips and strategies here.
The Pros and Cons of Teaching Overseas
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.