Since 1971, Community School has been a leader in progressive education in Virginia's Blue Ridge.
Serving children from age 3 through middle school, we provide education of the highest quality for children of all racial, cultural, religious, and economic backgrounds.
Our school nurtures children's individual learning styles and fosters creative and analytical thinking.
Our students develop personal responsibility for their education and a passion for learning.
Small, multi-age classes create flexible classroom environments that promote individual achievement and student collaboration.
We integrate the arts, Spanish, and technology throughout the curriculum.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Students: 148 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Varies by level. Please visit website for details.
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- Community School is a secular, independent school serving students ages three through fourteen for almost 50 years. Our school is the recipient of a national Best Practices Honoree award from the American Psychological Association.
- We use an experiential approach: students learn by doing and acquire the skills to apply their knowledge in real-world situations.
- We value the whole child and seek to develop each student's individual gifts while encouraging self-reliance, critical thinking and creativity. We respect the social, emotional, physical and intellectural needs of each child.
- Community School enjoys longstanding partnerships with its sister institution Community High School and with Hollins University.
- Our students benefit from studying Spanish, music, drama, visual art, and technology. They enjoy frequent off-campus and outdoor learning opportunities.
- Our students have participated in an international exchange program with a private school in Bolivia for over 20 years.
Endorse Community School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Identifying Your School's Brand
Creating a brand identity for your school is an essential part of your marketing strategy. We walk you through the process.
7 Reasons Why Private School May Be The Right Choice
Private schools come in a wide variety of educational approaches. We show you how to refine your school search.
June 01, 2021What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.