Tel: (781) 749-0746 Ext. 146
Derby Academy Photo #2 - Derby Academy is a unique learning community that is steeped in traditional values and committed to integrating effective and proven teaching methods with the most innovative approaches to learning. The school's educational philosophy is as valid for the rigors of the 21st century as it was at its founding in the 1700's: Improve both mind and heart.
Derby Academy Photo #3 - Derby Academy prides itself on offering a well-balanced program. Athletics, along with academics and arts, are a vital component of daily life. Derby has 21 interscholastic teams encompassing 11 sports. In the winter, Derby also offers Sports Training and Yoga/Pilates; two non-competitive alternatives.
Derby Academy Photo #4 - Our dedicated faculty inspires students to discover the joy of intellectual curiosity, mastery of learning skills and service to the community. Students are also guided toward an awakening sense of personal responsibility in order to prepare them to make ethical and mindful contributions in an increasingly interdependent world.
Derby Academy Photo #5 - Derby Academy places equal emphasis on building a strong academic foundation for success and on developing strength of character. Derby graduates are notable for their readiness to do well in secondary school and college and for the personal character strengths they take with them into adult life.
Derby Academy Photo #6 - Performing Arts at Derby help children build essential aptitudes including collaboration, self-confidence, poise, teamwork, patience, and dedication. Students benefit from performance opportunities, as well as expert instruction in choreography and technical areas.
Derby Academy Photo #7 - State-of-the-art facilities, like the Healey Family Center for Innovation, provide an open, flexible, richly equipped space for critical thinking, creative production and analytical experiences that integrate with studies and enhance classroom activities at all grade levels.
Derby Academy Photo #8 - Derby Academy is a school in which strong interpersonal relationships and rigorous programs work together to ensure that children flourish. We value personal responsibility, civility, collaboration and good sportsmanship while fostering diverse relationships between teachers and students, and the partnership between the School and parents.
- Derby is well-established and well-recognized as a leader in independent school education on the South Shore.
- Our priority is a well-balanced education and our approach is traditional.
- Our small class sizes allow us to personalize each student's education. Teachers get to know their students well, not just in the classroom but also as they engage in the arts, in athletics, and in a wide range of activities where every child is encouraged and expected to participate.
- The faculty views each student as an individual with special talents, interests, learning style, and developmental needs.
- Teachers strive to reinforce and recognize each child's accomplishments and to help him or her learn from the total school experience, both successes and disappointments.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||300 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Comprehensive tuition is by grade level. The range is $11,595 for Prekindergarten to $36,935 for Grade 8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$17,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Nicole Carnes|
|Admissions Associate||Julie McOsker|
|Endowment Size||$12.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Model UN, World Awareness Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Various bands and choruses
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Club, Rowing Club, Rugby Club, Tennis Club, Yoga Club
- Derby is well-established and well-recognized as a leader in independent school education on the South Shore. Our motto, "Improve Both Mind and Heart" says it all. Following the PK-8th grade model, we focus on the critical foundational years and build confidence in children as they expand their minds and hearts to take on life both during and after their Derby years. We truly believe that to prepare the global, productive citizens that we all want our children to become, we must focus on both the mind through academics, innovation and creativity and the heart through service, kindness and character building. Our program is age-specific and geared to develop all of these areas in each of our students.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Marion Grades: 9-12 | 531 students
66 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738
(508) 748-2000 38 9-12
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 1020 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617) 898-1798 9 K-12
- Braintree Grades: 7-12 | 616 students
40 Independence Ave
Braintree, MA 02184
(781) 535-6267 5.9 7-12
- Braintree Grades: 6-12 | 688 students
745 Washington Street
Braintree, MA 02184
(781) 843-3580 6.4 6-12
- Fitchburg Grades: 5-12 | 27 students
171 South St
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978) 343-7635 51.5 5-12
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.