- Students at Doane have flourished on our beautiful campus along the banks of the Delaware River since the school`s founding in 1837. But our identity is shaped as much by our present and future as it is by our venerable history.
- As our mission states, Doane is a school where students are all known, loved, and strongly encouraged to reach their unique potential.
- In this sense we are traditional; we are proud to be a small school that honors our traditions while celebrating our ability to both nurture and challenge a diverse group of students.
- But we are also a school that is innovative, forward thinking and demanding.
- We believe that the combination of a rigorous academic program with a strong emphasis on leadership and character development produces students at Doane Academy who are ready and able to make meaningful, positive change in their communities.
- They do so with the support of a school family in which each member from the youngest student in our Primary Program to seniors preparing to embark on the next leg of their educational journey -- is cared for and sustained with love, compassion, and respect.
- We look forward to greeting you on your visit to our campus so you can learn more about the extraordinary difference that a Doane education can make in your life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||240 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||38 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus (AB), Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature, Latin Literature/Vergil, Psychology, Spanish, US Government, US History,|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / Mar. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,900|
|Tuition Notes||Primary 3-6: $12,600 Grades 1-2: $12,600 Grades 3-6: $15,050 Grades 7-8: $17,200 Grades 9-12: $19,550 International: $23,550|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lacy Hall|
|Admissions Associate||Jamar Jennings|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Literary Magazine, National Art Honor Society, Newspaper, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Varsity Club|
Club or Organization:
Community Service Club, Creative Writing Club, Cum Laude, Honor Council, Mock Trial, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Upper School Band, Upper School Choi
- Doane Academy is a college preparatory day school for boys and girls 3 years of age through 12th grade, founded in 1837. We are located in Burlington, New Jersey, on the banks of the Delaware River, 17 miles north of Philadelphia. We have an 11-acre riverfront campus with five main buildings and a chapel. The chapel and two of the main buildings are on The National Registry of Historic Places. We currently enroll 236 students coming to us from a total of 41 cities and towns in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. With 38 classroom teachers, the student-teacher ratio is 6.2:1. Founded as an Episcopal boarding school, Doane Academy is open to all faiths. Chapel services in the Episcopal tradition are held once per week. Class of 2017: Top 15% Mean SAT Score: 1370 (out of 1600). Class of 2017: Top 50% Mean SAT Score: 1280. Upper School Mean SAT Score: 1174. SAT score range - Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 440 - 700, Math 450 730. 100% of seniors attend 4-year college or university. A sample of colleges and universities attended by Doane Academy students over a five-year period ('12-'16) include; New York University, Cornell University, Temple University, Lafayette College, Rowan University, George Washington University, Wake Forest University and more. Participation - 100% of students participate in extracurricular activities including 17 total interscholastic teams (9 girls, 7 boys, and 1 co-ed). Interscholastic Middle School Teams - Co-ed Soccer, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Baseball, Softball. Interscholastic High School Teams - Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Cross Country, Girls Tennis, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Crew, Baseball, Softball. Clubs and Societies Student Council, Student Ambassadors, Varsity Club, Mock Trial, Community Service, Yearbook, Creative Writing Club, Cum Laude Society, National Honors Art Society, Photography Club, Spartan STEAM Club - Science Olympiads Team, Spartan STEAM Club - Odyssey of the Mind Team, Math Club, Equality Club, Middle School STEAM Class - FLL and Future City Competitions, Spartan STEAM Club SeaPerch, Spanish Club, Art Club, Spartan STEAM Club - Seasonal Competitions, Latin Club, Doane`s Dungeon, Christmas Mystery, Spartan Studio Actors Spring Play, The Kindness Project, and Student Government. Arts - Fine Arts, String Ensemble, Band, Jazz Band, Choir, Performing Arts, Private Music Instruction. (each participates in performances, concerts, and exhibitions throughout the year) Rocks, Roots and Wings - An outdoor education program that emphasizes character development. Traditional Events - Back to School Picnic, Canoe to First Day of School, Homecoming/Spirit Week, Doane`s Dungeon and Halloween Parade, Christmas Mystery Performance, Founder`s Day, Class Night.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Burlington Grades: PK-K | 48 students
133 E Union St
Burlington, NJ 08016
(609)387-5574 0.6 PK-K
The best school in South Jersey. Staff is amazing, students are wonderful, both very welcoming to all. My son is new to the school this year as a freshman and has acclimated wonderfully to the small, family environment and rigorous academics. He has participated in soccer, basketball and now crew. He has found his niche and we couldn't be more pleased. Doane Academy is a wonderful school That encourages each and every child to their full potential and I highly recommend it to anyone who cares about their child's education and happiness!
- Posted by Parent - allie
Doane has been an inspiration to all of my children in both the upper (7-9) and lower (PreK - 6) school on not being afraid to try new things or being teased for trying new things. Instead, Doane students support and inspire leadership in getting outside of your safety zone to try something you''ve never done before. The teachers are ALWAYS available to help the students after school. Doane has an amazing homework club program to help students who need that little extra help. But teachers are also willing to come in early, work with a student during lunch or at a study hall. They want the students to succeed. The school works as a community and my children are all THRIVING here. The school has a wonderful chapel service run by the former Bishop of NJ, Bishop George Councell, for the students once a week. Many students seek him out to talk to. He's been a wonderful addition to the school since he joined this past March. His services are about caring, being a good role model and thinking of others, than just yourself, they are very inspirational. And I can't forget to mention the Headmaster's lab Halstead, who brings joy to the students every time he comes for a visit!
- Posted by Parent - jasmi
My daughter actually looks forward to school everyday,she used to fear it in our district. Teachers nurture and help develop real world skills and study habits. Great school
- Posted by Parent - Kdmca
The best choice I ever made for my child. Doane Academy is amazing. My child has grown in ways we only dreamed about as a family. Our son loves the school and actually cant wait to get there everyday. The school is magical.
- Posted by Parent - milbr
Very happy with the education and experience my children have had in middle and high school. The academics have been challenging with the college prep curriculum. The teachers are always there for there students if they need them for extra help. Leadership, ethics and community responsibility are a focus. Rich in traditions, including the seniors rowing into school by canoe to start the school year. Many activities and clubs available. Sports include soccer, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball and rowing. All of the students are involved in some way. SAT prep is a part of the curriculum. College counselor who works closely with the juniors and seniors and has provided information and guidance on the path to college applications.
- Posted by Parent - march
School continues to grow in a very positive direction for students. Excellent faculty and administration. An outstanding music program. Complete athletic programs, growing stronger and competive. Offering many after school clubs and other programs. I''m so impressed with the relationship of Upper Classman and Lower School students, true respect, caring , a family like relationship. Students are given opportunties to grow and learn just how strong/important they are. And something not seen in schools, tradition. Doane Academy teaches tradition on the first day of school, to even the youngest student. As the entire school waits on the banks of the Delaware River to welcome the Senior Class, as they canoe down the Delware to campus. There is a scholarship bike ride to raise scholarship funds. Every student has an opportunity to participate, wether they''re riding a 24 speed bike or a tricycle, everyone is encouraged and supported as they reach campus. Doane continues to evolve and move in a positive direction, keeping its eye on the prize....the student.
- Posted by Parent - obxtw
The focus on writing, math and engineering is evident. Challenging academics. The culture encourages and provides opportunities for community service. They have a high student participation in clubs. The students are given the opportunity to make a difference. Smaller school, great choice.
- Posted by Parent - cjben