Friends School Haverford
- Guided by Quaker principles since its founding in 1885, Friends School Haverford provides an intellectually rich program to an intentionally diverse school family.
- We promote academic scholarship, creativity, respect, integrity, and self-awareness with a commitment to creating a culture of stewardship and kindness.
- Friends School Haverford graduates are uniquely prepared to go forth with boldness of intellect and character.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||111 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Nursery School, Preschool, Prekindergarten - see tuition schedule Kindergarten - $18,500 First Grade - $19,000 Second Grade - $19,500 Third Grade - $20,000 Fourth Grade - $20,500 Fifth Grade - $21,000 Sixth Grade - $21,500 Seventh Grade - $22,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,733|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lisa Buscaglia|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, TennisBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Animal Architechture, Cooking, Crafts and Games, Dance Club, Drama Club, Jewelry Making, Miniature Gaming Design and Play, Nature Explorers, Puppets and Diaramas, Story Telling, TORCH (Student Council), Woodworking
Arts and Music Programs:
Cups and Cocoa (Ceramics), Music Lessons, Song Writing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Ice Skating, Running Club, Socce
- Friends School Haverford was founded as a co-educational, Quaker, elementary school. The School remains under the care of Haverford Monthly Meeting of Friends (Quakers) and serves nursery school through grade eight.
- Our program is rooted in academic challenge, intellectual vigor, artistic expression, service, and kindness. We encourage children`s curiosity, creativity, and joy of discovery as they grow intellectually, spiritually, physically, and emotionally.
- We foster an atmosphere in which students learn to work independently and in cooperation with others. They are challenged to question, explore, reflect, reason, and communicate effectively.
- Friends School Haverford cultivates a community characterized by diversity in belief, ethnicity, race, and socioeconomic background. We emphasize the Quaker tenets of integrity, service, simplicity, equality, community, peaceful conflict resolution, stewardship, and sustainability.
- Students are encouraged to listen inwardly and to learn to recognize That of God in themselves and others. These shared values are reflected in the daily life of our School and in Meeting for Worship. We teach our students to be contributing members of the community, to grow and to change with flexibility and courage, and to treat others with care and understanding.
- Friends School Haverford graduates possess the intellectual and spiritual skills necessary to envision and create successful and meaningful lives
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
- HaverfordGrades: PK-12 | 977 students
450 Lancaster Ave.
Haverford, PA 19041
- Bryn MawrGrades: PK-12
814 Yarrow Street
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- GlensideGrades: PK-8 | 202 students
835 North Hills Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038
- GlensideGrades: KG-8 | 341 students
2336 Fairhill Ave
Glenside, PA 19038
FSH truly is a unique school that offers a great sense of community, embraces diversity, and emphasizes outdoor experiences. The teachers take the time to really know the children, allowing them to individualize academic experiences so that the students feel supported and challenged. Students learn to think critically and expansively. While academically rigorous, FSH also places a premium on supporting students` social development. Knowing each child well means the teachers can offer just what each one needs to grow into a compassionate, empathic friend and socially-conscious citizen. Teachers at FSH see the best in each child and teach their students to look for that in others. Students graduate from FSH with a strong sense of themselves that fortifies them in the world beyond school. We couldn't be happier with our experience at FSH.
- Posted by Parent - momof2
So nice to be back at school where the whole community knows your children. My 7th-grade daughter rode the bus the first day of school. She hasn't been on the bus for many years for different reasons. When I arrived in the afternoon, Ken, our all-around person to do just about anything, told me he was so surprised to see her get off the bus that morning and that she was looking happy. It made me feel so good that someone had noticed she had taken the bus, reported it to me, and said she looked happy. I love this place! :)
- Posted by Parent - d.r.
The teachers at this school gave my daughter the personal attention she needed to overcome her fear of math and of public speaking. She has developed a passion for politics and for writing. She plays in the school's unique marimba ensemble. She even mustered the bravery to play sports!
- Posted by Parent - b.r.s