The Haverford School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (610) 642-3020
The Haverford School Photo #2 - Seniors continue the tradition of escorting kindergarten students through the Walk of Virtues to The Haverford School's opening day assembly.
The Haverford School Photo #4 - On average, 94% of students attend one of their top three college choices. 20% of the Class of 2019 was recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
The Haverford School Photo #5 - Haverford fields 16 interscholastic sports. In 2018-19, seven teams captured Inter-Ac titles. Tennis captured its 10th straight Inter-Ac Championship, while golf, soccer, water polo, basketball, squash, and track and field also earned titles. Golf and basketball went undefeated, 35-0 and 28-0, respectively, and track and field broke numerous personal, school, and meet records.
- The Haverford School, a nonsectarian college preparatory day school for pre-kindergarten-grade 12, provides a superior liberal arts education for qualified boys of differing backgrounds.
- We are committed to developing the full intellectual, artistic, athletic, and moral potential in each boy, and we aim to graduate young men with strong character who possess a passion for learning and the necessary problem-solving skills to make a difference in the world. The Haverford School prepares boys for life.
The Haverford School places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
International Boys' Schools Coalition
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||977 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||114 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1360|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(polo shirt and khaki pants in Lower School; jacket and tie in Middle and Upper School)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,800|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $23,000-$38,800. $8.4 million is granted in need-based tuition assistance, with 36% of families receiving aid.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$24,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Brian McBride|
|Admissions Associate||Courtney Sanchez|
|Endowment Size||$76 million|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Water Polo, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Water Polo,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||34 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Team/Quiz Bowl, Astronomy Club, Athletes Helping Athletes, Business Club, Ceramics Club, Chess Club, Chinese Club, Creative Writing Club, Debate Team, Diplomacy Society, Diversity Alliance, Economics Club, Fantasy Football Club, Film Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Gender Club, Haligoluk (yearbook), Improv Club, Mock Trial, Model UN, Paddle Tennis Club, Pegasus (literary magazine), Philosophy Club, Photography Club, Ping-Pong Club, Poetry Club, Robotics, Software Club, Stage Crew, Student Technology Advisory Group (STAG), Sustainability Alliance, TED Club, The Index (school newspaper), Video Game Club
- "At Haverford, we create a culture that celebrates boys. We recognize their innate competitiveness, their boundless energy, their need to learn with their hands and by doing, their sense of humor, their sense of justice and fairness, and their age-appropriate learning needs, and we teach accordingly. We develop compassion and empathy, and teach that such traits are the full expression of being a man." John A. Nagl, D.Phil, Headmaster.
- Boys' schools enjoy a superior opportunity to help young men reach their full potential: Non-threatening environment for self-expression * Wider range of individual expression * Safe atmosphere in which to explore sensitive gender and sex-related issues * Conducive to intellectual risk-taking * Male development expertise * Faculty experienced in teaching and coaching boys * Instruction tailored to style and tempo of boys' learning * Absence of cross-gender distraction * Heightened focus on academic tasks, on learning * Atmosphere of frank, direct communication * Absence of posturing, gender stereotyping * Camaraderie and friendships * Positive male role modeling * Distinctive esprit de corps * Special depth of friendships for life *
- At The Haverford School, boys are talented scholars, artists, and athletes and so much more. Our extraordinary educators challenge and inspire every student, while our best-for-boys programs and facilities empower students to reach their full potential. The Haverford School is committed to developing our students` academic, artistic, and athletic skills. As importantly, the School focuses on creating young men of character with the confidence to lead, the resilience to endure setbacks, and the empathy to understand and contribute to their world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
My son has been at Haverford for 9 years, starting in kindergarten and he is very excited about starting in the upper school next year. The Haverford School really understands boys and embraces the unique aspects of teaching boys and channeling their energies. On daily basis, they bring out the best in my son and his classmates - in the classroom, the art studio, the debate stage, the robotics arena and sports fields. The teachers, coaches and administrators indeed know boys, but they also know my son individually as well as his classmates and the faculty and staff are always accessible to my wife and me.
- Posted by Parent - scott
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.