The Haverford School
5.00 (1 review)
Lower Schoolers have an astronomy lesson and chart constellations inside a 15-foot inflatable planetarium.
Haverford's visual arts program includes 10 dedicated art studios and several gallery spaces; our acclaimed drama program stages award-winning productions each year; music offerings begin in Lower Schooler with violin in kindergarten, a band, chime choir, and more.
Haverford fields 17 interscholastic sports. In 2015, the varsity lacrosse team ranked No. 1 in the nation, the varsity football team went undefeated, tennis captured its sixth consecutive Inter-Ac title, soccer earned its fourth consecutive Inter-Ac title as well as the state title, and cross country finished second in the state.
The crew team spent one of its preseason practices at Rushton Farm, a local CSA, harvesting potatoes, weeding the greenhouses, and clearing tomato plants.
Seniors continue the tradition of escorting kindergarten students through the Walk of Virtues to The Haverford School's opening day assembly.
Mr. Palmer, a Haverford Lower School Science teacher, has a greenhouse adjacent to his classroom. Mr. Palmer teaches students how ecosystems work, as well as how to take care of their own plants, which they help grow each school year.
The Haverford brotherhood is evident from our boys' first days. Here, Upper School language students teach pre-kindergarten boys to write and speak the numbers 1-5 in Chinese.
- The Haverford School, a nonsectarian college preparatory day school for pre-kindergarten-grade 12, provides a superior liberal arts education for qualified boys of differing backgrounds.
- We are committed to developing the full intellectual, artistic, athletic, and moral potential in each boy, and we aim to graduate young men with strong character who possess a passion for learning and the necessary problem-solving skills to make a difference in the world. The Haverford School prepares boys for life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
International Boys' Schools Coalition
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||981 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||120 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(See school website)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $22,300-$37,500. $7 million is granted in need-based tuition assistance, with 32% of families receiving aid.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Brian McBride|
|Admissions Associate||Jennifer Miles|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Water Polo, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Crew, Cross Country,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Water Polo,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Debate Team, Diplomacy Society, Diversity Alliance, Economics Club, Guitar Club, Mock Trial Team, Pegasus (literary & arts magazine), Robotics Team, Stage Crew, The Haligoluk (yearbook), The Index (student newspaper), and more. Debate Team, Economics Club, Guitar Club, Robotics Team, Stage Crew, and more., Diplomacy Society,
Mock Trial Team,
Pegasus (literary & arts magazine),
The Haligoluk (yearbook),
The Index (student newspaper),
- "At Haverford, we create a culture that celebrates boys. We recognize their innate competitiveness, their boundless energy, their need to learn with their hands and by doing, their sense of humor, their sense of justice and fairness, and their age-appropriate learning needs, and we teach accordingly. We develop compassion and empathy, and teach that such traits are the full expression of being a man." John A. Nagl, D.Phil, Headmaster.
- Boys' schools enjoy a superior opportunity to help young men reach their full potential: Non-threatening environment for self-expression * Wider range of individual expression * Safe atmosphere in which to explore sensitive gender and sex-related issues * Conducive to intellectual risk-taking * Male development expertise * Faculty experienced in teaching and coaching boys * Instruction tailored to style and tempo of boys' learning * Absence of cross-gender distraction * Heightened focus on academic tasks, on learning * Atmosphere of frank, direct communication * Absence of posturing, gender stereotyping * Camaraderie and friendships * Positive male role modeling * Distinctive esprit de corps * Special depth of friendships for life *
- At The Haverford School, boys are talented scholars, artists, and athletes and so much more. Our extraordinary educators challenge and inspire every student, while our best-for-boys programs and facilities empower students to reach their full potential. The Haverford School is committed to developing our students` academic, artistic, and athletic skills. As importantly, the School focuses on creating young men of character with the confidence to lead, the resilience to endure setbacks, and the empathy to understand and contribute to their world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Bryn MawrGrades: PK-12
814 Yarrow Street
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
DevonGrades: 6-12 | 268 students
363 N. Valley Forge Road
Devon, PA 19333
WynnewoodGrades: PK-12 | 890 students
1101 City Ave
Wynnewood, PA 19096
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
WayneGrades: 7-12 | 292 students
1001 Eagle Rd
Wayne, PA 19087
My son has been at Haverford for 9 years, starting in kindergarten and he is very excited about starting in the upper school next year. The Haverford School really understands boys and embraces the unique aspects of teaching boys and channeling their energies. On daily basis, they bring out the best in my son and his classmates - in the classroom, the art studio, the debate stage, the robotics arena and sports fields. The teachers, coaches and administrators indeed know boys, but they also know my son individually as well as his classmates and the faculty and staff are always accessible to my wife and me.
- Posted by Parent - scott
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?