The Shipley School
- Shipley is a coeducational PreK-12 college preparatory day school in the western suburbs of Philadelphia.
- Shipley is committed to inspiring and preparing each of our students to live a life of purpose: to grow intellectually, act compassionately, and lead courageously.
- Shipley upholds and promotes moral integrity, a sense of personal achievement, and worth and concern for others at School and in the larger community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||142 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||See the School Website|
|Admissions Director||Amy Clemons|
|Admissions Associate||Sylvia Spector|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess Club, Creative Writing Club, DECA, Environmental Club, Film Club, Food Club, Gardening Club, GSA, International Club, Investment Club, Math Club, Media Club, Newspaper, Ping Pong Club, Political Debate Club, Puzzle Club, Random Acts of Kindness, Reading Club, Science Olympiad, Student Government, Yearbook, Yoga Club Chess Club, DECA, Film Club, Food Club, Gardening Club, GSA, Math Club, Media Club, Newspaper, Ping Pong Club, Puzzle Club, Reading Club, Yearbook, Yoga Club, Creative Writing Club,|
Political Debate Club,
Random Acts of Kindness,
- The Shipley School, a Pre-Kindergarten through 12 coeducational day school in the western suburbs of Philadelphia, is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a love of learning and a compassionate participation in the world. Through a strong college preparatory curriculum in the humanities and sciences, the school encourages curiosity, creativity, and respect for intellectual effort. Shipley upholds and promotes moral integrity, a sense of personal achievement and worth, and concern for others at school and in the larger community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bryn MawrGrades: PK-12 | 560 students
701 Montgomery Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- HaverfordGrades: PK-12 | 977 students
450 Lancaster Ave.
Haverford, PA 19041
- Newtown SquareGrades: PK-12 | 835 students
462 Malin Rd
Newtown Square, PA 19073
- Bryn MawrGrades: PK-12 | 606 students
275 S Ithan Ave
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- Fort WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 1109 students
340 Morris Rd
Fort Washington, PA 19034
I started at Shipley in the 9th grade and had a great experience. My teachers really helped me improve as a writer.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Class of 2015
I graduated from The Shipley School in 2013 and my four years there as a student were the most memorable and growth stimulating years of my life. When people think of Shipley they have assumptions of the demographics of the community. I admit I did. I myself come from the inner-city and a middle class income, and was nervous entering. Nevertheless, I never felt different. Shipley is a welcoming community, one that accepts everyone, that grants chances to those chances aren't usually given, Shipley is a community here to help prepare its students for the future. There is support beyond measure from the teachers, administration, students, families, everyone, because we are one. Before Shipley I didn't know what it meant to be selfless, however once put into the community I learned the meaning and I begin to embody it in everyday life. Growing up in the city and going to school there it was like a being a crab in the barrel, no matter how close you were to the top, someone pulled you down. I was never taught to uplift others. Instead I focused on myself and my own success. Shipley showed me to be successful I need a team and to uplift others because their success is just as important as mine. As I finish college and begin to truly embark on this journey of life I am nothing but grateful for Shipley building the foundation of the young woman I am today. I have defied statistics and because of the risks they encouraged me to take. I have gained a confidence that can never be broken. I will never again think of myself as a crab in the barrel. I am an individual who matters. Most importantly I know I am never alone in this world and I will forever use the teams I build over time to create success of everyone involved.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - 2013 Grad
I am so happy I had the opportunity to spend my high school years at Shipley. I was incredibly well prepared for college and throughout my time at Shipley, I grew a tremendous amount academically, athletically, and as a leader. I am truly grateful for my Shipley experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - H S
As a Shipley graduate, I can say with confidence that the school went above and beyond in preparing me for college. I felt this most strongly in my first college-level writing class - for most of my classmates, the switch from high school to college writing was a major hurdle, but I was able to go in feeling confident in my abilities thanks to Shipley's English program.But to me, the true value Shipley is in its community. I have been a part of the Shipley family since 2009 when I joined as a sophomore. Shortly after, I was faced with a major health issue. All is well now, but the support I saw as a near-stranger is something I am forever thankful for, and I have continued to find this level of caring among the community as my relationship with the school has evolved from that of student to that of alumna. I have seen in Shipley a school that nurtures students not only academically, but also personally, and I can think of no better place to be a part of.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Giselle B.