Gaston Day School
- Founded in 1967, Gaston Day School is a nonsectarian, college-preparatory school for grades pre-school through 12 with approximately 500 students and 65 full and part-time faculty and staff.
- Gaston Day attracts students from a five county area including Gaston, Mecklenburg, Lincoln, Cleveland, and York and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- It is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the North Carolina Association of Independent schools and approved by the North Carolina Department of Education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Academy|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||64 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$4,550 - $16,385|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Davidson Hobson|
|Admissions Associate||Susan Gibson|
|Endowment Size||$8.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Bloggers Club, Blutopia, Chess Club, Classics Club, Drama Club, French Club, iGem (International Genetically Engineered Machines), Middle School Literary Magazine, Peer Mentoring, Public Debate Club, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Student Government (middle and upper schools), The Point, Theatre Arts, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Upper School Literay and Arts Magazine
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Girls on the Run
- Founded in 1967, Gaston Day School is a nonsectarian, college-preparatory school for grades pre-kindergarten through 12 with approximately 500 students and 65 full and part-time faculty and staff. Gaston Day attracts students from a five county area including Gaston, Mecklenburg, Lincoln, Cleveland, and York and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the North Carolina Association of Independent schools and approved by the North Carolina Department of Education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Gastonia Grades: PK-12 | 133 students
310 Carolina Ave
Gastonia, NC 28052
(704) 865-7132 3.9 PK-12
- Cramerton Grades: PK-12 | 431 students
426 Woodlawn Ave
Cramerton, NC 28032
(704) 824-2840 4.4 PK-12
- Gastonia Grades: PK-K | 86 students
Po Box 12367
Gastonia, NC 28052
(704) 853-1777 4.8 PK-K
Choosing a school is a major decision and one that we did not take lightly. We explored the Charlotte area "Big 3" private schools because they were so well known, but it was not until we visited Gaston Day that we found exactly what we were seeking for our child. Gaston Day is a small, close-knit community of educators that truly focus on your child's needs. My child immediately connected with peers and is excited to go to school. Coming from a large public school setting, I was worried it would feel too small, but we knew immediately that this school was a perfect fit for our child and the small size ensures a personal connection and nurturing environment. Even better, the small size means our child will have numerous opportunities to be involved in extracurricular activities. The athletics program is competitive and inclusive and in a small school you do not see the typical "cliques" you see in larger public schools because here the athletes are also in music, art, and theater. Gaston Day offers a challenging academic curriculum, but the teachers are available to students, support their learning, and are truly are passionate about their field. More importantly, GDS helps develop students' citizenship through extensive service to the community. This school is worth the drive and I encourage you to come experience the "student-first" approach that is Gaston Day. Highly recommended!
- Posted by Parent - Karen
Gaston Day has been an excellent choice for our family. School faculty and staff have gone out of their way to make our transition into the high school comfortable and welcoming. The teachers are energetic and interested in the needs of each child. Thanks to the smaller size, they are able to individualize learning effectiveness. Instilling intellectual passion is also important and the teachers and staff model that for the students. I feel confident that we have found the perfect school!
- Posted by Parent - Suzanne
Choosing Gaston Day School for our son has been the best decision we have ever made. From the first time we set foot on campus, it has felt like home. The hospitality shown by students, faculty and staff, and families is second to none, the academics are challenging and teachers support students' learning, the food is top notch (an important component to a growing boy), and the campus and athletics facilities are beautiful. The campus grounds are breathtaking and allow for an outdoor classroom experience with authentic learning opportunities. For a school of its size the advanced academic classes, music, art, theater, and sports opportunities are exemplary. We look forward to watching our son grow academically, athletically, and as a citizen of the community through his experience at Gaston Day School. Gaston Day is living its mission and values and we are proud to be a part of the Gaston Day family.
- Posted by Parent - Gaston Day Family