Gillis Center School
Tel: (816) 508-3545
- Since 1870, Gillis has been dedicated to serving the needs of children and families of Kansas City.
- Gillis` services have undergone many changes over the years.
- From our beginnings as a support service for families following the Civil War, to our years as an orphanage, to the current focus of assisting troubled children and their families to become healthy and self-sufficient, we have remained steadfast to our original mission of helping the "needy and distressed" of Kansas City.
- Gillis is also committed to serving the needs of children and families in the future.
- Our strong foundation and quality care and innovative vision will guide us as we adjust to the changes of the 21st century.
- The mission of Gillis is to help at-risk children and their families become contributing members of the community through education, counseling and social services.
- The vision of Gillis is that all children will live in emotionally stable, safe and nurturing families.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||56 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The student needs to have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) or a 504 Plan. The school district needs to contract the student to our school.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kansas City Grades: 1-10 | 22 students
1911 E 23rd St
Kansas City, MO 64127
(816) 895-4228 7.4 1-10
- Kansas City Grades: 5-12 | 61 students
421 E 137th St
Kansas City, MO 64145
(816) 508-3660 7 5-12
- Lees Summit Grades: NS-12 | 815 students
1500 SW Jefferson
Lees Summit, MO 64081
(816) 525-1480 13.1 NS-12
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.