Gillis Center School
- Since 1870, Gillis has been dedicated to serving the needs of children and families of Kansas City.
- Gillis’ services have undergone many changes over the years. From our beginnings as a support service for families following the Civil War, to our years as an orphanage, to the current focus of assisting troubled children and their families to become healthy and self-sufficient, we have remained steadfast to our original mission of helping the “needy and distressed” of Kansas City.
- Gillis is also committed to serving the needs of children and families in the future.
- Our strong foundation and quality care and innovative vision will guide us as we adjust to the changes of the 21st century.
- The mission of Gillis is to help at-risk children and their families become contributing members of the community through education, counseling and social services.
- The vision of Gillis is that all children will live in emotionally stable, safe and nurturing families.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.