Greene Hill School is an independent progressive Lower and Middle School (pre-K through 8th grade) in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn. Students at Greene Hill benefit from small classes, caring and attentive teachers who truly know them and a curriculum that weaves social justice into an academically rich and challenging program. Research shows that pre-K-8th grade schools like GHS support students as they develop leadership skills and confidence in their academic abilities.
Greene Hill students grow to take their place in the world as kind, curious and empathic people. Graduating 8th graders go on to successful careers at a wide range of specialized, public, independent and boarding high schools. Please check our website (www.greenehillschool.org) for more information about our Lower and Middle School programs. Information about fall tours will be on the website after Labor Day. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 153 students
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 1
- Source: Verified school update
Greene Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
no formal dress code
no formal dress code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Sliding scale tuition model based on family income. Please see website (www.greenehillschool.org) for more information
Total Sports Offered
- Greene Hill School (GHS) is a progressive independent school for children ages four to fourteen (Pre-K - 8th grade). GHS was founded in 2009 by parents and educators who envisioned an engaged and socially responsible community of active learners. Greene Hill School has small class sizes and a faculty and staff dedicated to supporting children as they become confident in their abilities to explore, learn, demonstrate compassion, and be inspired.Understandingthat tuition is often a barrier to admission in independent schools, Greene Hill School has developed a sliding-scalewith seven different tuition tiers.
- Advantages of a Greene Hill School Education:
- Small, nurturing environment where every student is well known
- Emphasis on criticalthinking skills and authentic learning experiences, not high-stakes testing
- Challenging academic program that addresses the needs of all students
- Community arts partnerships with organizations like Construction Kids, Urban Glass, Irondale Theater and the Brooklyn Music School
- Innovative math, science, and technology instruction emphazising investigation
- Focus on the social emotional world of childhood and early adolescence
- Commitment to community building and social justice
- Individualized high school placement and support
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does Greene Hill School offer?
Greene Hill School offers 1 interscholastic sports: Intramural Sports Only.
What is Greene Hill School's ranking?
Greene Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for: Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees.
When is the application deadline for Greene Hill School?
The application deadline for Greene Hill School is Dec. 1.
We are in our 4th year at Greene Hill and are very grateful to have joined this wonderful community. Our child loves school, is thriving both socially and emotionally as well as academically. This is true progressive ed, and it's been thrilling to watch it unfold. We are so grateful to have found this special place, highly highly recommend it.
My 8-year-old daughter has been at Greene Hill since she was 5. And she is thriving (even with the impact of the pandemic!). She is an avid and curious learner, excited by new areas this year (like math, cursive and social studies!) The progressive curriculum and commitment to social and racial justice are helping her (and us!) become a thinking and caring citizen. I couldn't be happier. Nor could she! Check out Greene Hill yourself.
My daughter started at Greene Hill School in the 4s as a shy kid and 6 years later has blossomed into a confident and active member of her community at Greene Hill. Kids at Greene Hill are supported and encouraged to explore and learn about the world and given the space and support they need to do so at their own pace. The kids learn (and take) ownership of their work and take pride in what they do-rather than being motivated by grades/scores; they are motivated to do their best and dig deeper into what they are learning. Social-emotional learning is woven in throughout the day so that they learn how to resolve conflicts, communicate, and talk about inequality. The teachers truly care about each kid as individuals and the community as a whole and never has this been more evident as during this era of distance learning. Couldn't be a happier experience.
Endorse Greene Hill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Making Social Media Work for Your School
An introduction to using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to promote your school.
SEO for Private Schools - Part 3: Using Social Media
Social media for private K-12 schools is a bit different from social media for businesses. Some tips and strategies here.
The Pros and Cons of Teaching Overseas
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.