Greene Hill School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (718) 230-3608
Greene Hill School is an independent progressive Lower and Middle School (pre-K through 8th grade) in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn.
Students at Greene Hill benefit from small classes, caring and attentive teachers who truly know them and a curriculum that weaves social justice into an academically rich and challenging program.
Research shows that pre-K-8th grade schools like GHS support students as they develop leadership skills and confidence in their academic abilities.
Greene Hill students grow to take their place in the world as kind, curious and empathic people.
Graduating 8th graders go on to successful careers at a wide range of specialized, public, independent and boarding high schools.
Please check our website (www.greenehillschool.org) for more information about our Lower and Middle School programs.
Information about fall tours will be on the website after Labor Day. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Greene Hill School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||153 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no formal dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1|
|Tuition Notes||Sliding scale tuition model based on family income. Please see website (www.greenehillschool.org) for more information|
|Admissions Associate||Beth Horboychuk|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Intramural Sports OnlyIntramural Sports Only|
- Greene Hill School (GHS) is a progressive independent school for children ages four to fourteen (Pre-K - 8th grade). GHS was founded in 2009 by parents and educators who envisioned an engaged and socially responsible community of active learners. Greene Hill School has small class sizes and a faculty and staff dedicated to supporting children as they become confident in their abilities to explore, learn, demonstrate compassion, and be inspired. Understanding that tuition is often a barrier to admission in independent schools, Greene Hill School has developed a sliding-scale with seven different tuition tiers.
- Advantages of a Greene Hill School Education:
- Small, nurturing environment where every student is well known
- Emphasis on critical thinking skills and authentic learning experiences, not high-stakes testing
- Challenging academic program that addresses the needs of all students
- Community arts partnerships with organizations like Construction Kids, Urban Glass, Irondale Theater and the Brooklyn Music School
- Innovative math, science, and technology instruction emphazising investigation
- Focus on the social emotional world of childhood and early adolescence
- Commitment to community building and social justice
- Individualized high school placement and support
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Brooklyn Grades: PK-12 | 80 students
372 Clinton Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11238
(718) 499-2707 0.7 PK-12
My daughter started at Greene Hill School in the 4s as a shy kid and 6 years later has blossomed into a confident and active member of her community at Greene Hill. Kids at Greene Hill are supported and encouraged to explore and learn about the world and given the space and support they need to do so at their own pace. The kids learn (and take) ownership of their work and take pride in what they do-rather than being motivated by grades/scores; they are motivated to do their best and dig deeper into what they are learning. Social-emotional learning is woven in throughout the day so that they learn how to resolve conflicts, communicate, and talk about inequality. The teachers truly care about each kid as individuals and the community as a whole and never has this been more evident as during this era of distance learning. Couldn't be a happier experience.
- Posted by Parent - DJ
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.