Tel: (913) 789-9443
Horizon Academy Photo #5 - Students have classes once a week for art, music/drama, Makerspace and Social Skills, as well as physical education 5 days a week.
Horizon Academy Photo #7 - Our therapy dog, Milo, is a member of our community and comes to school each day.
- Horizon Academy's mission is to empower students diagnosed with specific language-based learning disabilities like dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and ADHD, to become effective learners and confident self-advocates. We are unable to serve students who have a primary diagnosis that is of an emotional or behavioral nature.
- Horizon Academy is the only private school in the Kansas City area that specializes in educating students with learning disabilities. Horizon Academy's goal is to help students with the skills they need to be successful in academics, social skills, organizational skills and self-advocacy, so that they can successfully return to a traditional school.
- The average length of attendance at Horizon Academy is three years.
- The student body is coeducational and serves students from 1st through 12th grade.
- Students have average to above average intelligence, but are still falling through the cracks in traditional schools.
- Horizon Academy serves students from a 75-mile radius in the Kansas City area.
- Students are funded privately by parents and/or through need-based scholarships provided by the school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEQNIlG3HGM
Horizon Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Kansas for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities, Dyslexia, ADHD, Language-based differences, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Auditory Processing Disorder|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer program costs vary based on program selected.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||97 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants/skirt/jeans and school logo shirt or sweatshirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,950|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes therapy services on-site (Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and Counseling), as well as technology training, intensive reading (Orton-Gillingham) and Multisensory Math.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
|Admissions Director||Laura Mombello|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Track and FieldCross Country, Track and Field,|
- Horizon Academy helps children who struggle within traditional academic settings by providing innovative instructional programs including evidence-based methodology along with strategic instruction and multisensory approaches that help students learn and compensate for their learning difficulties. Students come to Horizon Academy because they are struggling in the following areas:
- Word decoding skills in reading
- Oral and written language comprehension and/or expression
- Math skills (calculation and problem solving)
- Physical education skills
- Organization skills
- Social skills
- Handwriting skills
- Speech/Lang. skills
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Leawood Grades: 6-12 | 58 students
10713 Barkley St
Leawood, KS 66211
(913) 341-6666 7.5 6-12
- Mission Grades: PK-12 | 102 students
4901 Mission Road
Mission, KS 66205
(913) 384-4434 0.2 PK-12
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.