Immaculate Heart Central School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Immaculate Heart Central School Photo #2 - IHC has been investing in effective classroom technology, supported by professional development for teachers, as we simultaneously strengthen our already strong curriculum across and between grade levels. IHC Elementary and Junior High School Students will be starting a new educational computer program: i-Ready. Here, 3rd graders are piloting the program
Immaculate Heart Central School Photo #3 - An IHC Primary School student conducts a reading at the school's May Crowning celebration, a special IHC tradition. Students participate in a procession of flowers, scripture readings, prayer, and song. At the High School, the ceremony ends with the crowning of the statue of Mary in front of the school.
Immaculate Heart Central School Photo #4 - The IHC Cavaliers varsity football team defeats Thousand Islands, 26-0. Despite the school's small size, IHC has a tradition of extremely competitive athletics, garnering numerous state, sectional, and Frontier League championships.
Immaculate Heart Central School Photo #5 - IHC is a tight-knit faith community of students, parents, faculty, alumni, and friends. Here, some of our younger students clown around at the High School on Saturday morning, as their parents and older siblings join in the IHC 5K Family Fun Run, which benefited our Athletic Booster Club.
Immaculate Heart Central School Photo #6 - Students and teacher review concepts in the High School's Anatomy and Physiology Course. The course, funded by a grant from the Toshiba America Foundation, is an EDGE Course conducted in partnership with Jefferson Community College. Students earn college credit from JCC while completing their requirements for High School graduation.
- IHC is a Pre-K to 12 Catholic school system serving the Greater Watertown and Fort Drum, NY area.
- IHC welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds. IHC is known for exceptional academic, community service, extracurricular, and athletic programs.
- At IHC, we nurture your student`s spirit, mind, and body.
- Since 1881, we have been providing students not just with an education, but "A Foundation for Life.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||661 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||54 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||19 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, English – Literature and Language, European History, US History,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition cost is on our website www.ihcschool.org|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,850|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sister Mary Gregory, SSJ|
|Admissions Associate||Sister Mary Gregory, SSJ|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Band, Faith Community Service, Foreign Language Club, New York Mathematics League, Performing Arts Club, The Ambassador's Club, Yearbook Club|
Club or Organization:
Chess Club, Mystery Players, Senior Slide Show Committee, Servants Hearts Club, Whiz Quiz Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Art and Photography Club, Chorus
- Immaculate Heart Central (IHC) is a Pre-Kindergarten to 12th grade Catholic school system and a ministry of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, who founded the school in 1881. IHC is the largest and most prominent non-public educational alternative in the Greater Watertown, NY area, educating over 450 students in grades Pre-K to 12. IHC Junior/Senior High School is fully accredited by the prestigious Commission on Secondary Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The High School enrolls over thirty international exchange students from eight to ten countries per year, bringing cultural diversity and universality that is an essential part of Catholicism. IHC`s highly respected St. John Bosco Pre-School program, educates three and four-year old students in a variety of two, three, and five-day per week programs. IHC`s student body is predominately from the Watertown Central School District, but includes students from about fourteen local school districts, depending on the year. Nearly thirty percent of IHC`s students are from families of active-duty soldiers stationed at nearby Fort Drum. IHC has a reputation for exceptional academics, with the highest average New York State standardized test scores among all districts in the local area (these tests include annual Math and English Language Arts tests for grades 3 to 8, and the New York State Regents Exams for grades 9 to 12). IHC Junior/Senior High School has a nearly 100% graduation and college matriculation rate. The Junior/Senior High School teaches a college-preparatory curriculum combined with the daily study and practice of the Catholic faith. The curriculum includes a number of Honors, Advanced Placement, and college EDGE courses in all core areas, a variety of electives, and musical, visual, and performing arts programs.IHC`s students are extremely active in community service projects throughout the local area. The Junior/Senior High School also has a highly respected athletic program which, despite the school`s relatively small size, has garnered numerous Section, League, and State Championship titles over the years. IHC is truly a tight-knit "faith community" of students, parents, grandparents, teachers, thousands of alumni, local parishioners and other community members committed to quality Catholic education. The spirit of community, and the "small school feel," is one of the school system`s great strengths. IHC has a committed and quality faculty of teachers in Kindergarten through 12th grade, which enables the school to maintain class sizes of approximately 19:1. High quality faculty combined with small class sizes promotes individual attention, participation, and the opportunity for group work. Come for a visit and see how good a school can be!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Watertown Grades: PK-12 | 167 students
131 Moore Avenue
Watertown, NY 13601
(315)782-9342 2.4 PK-12
- Carthage Grades: PK-8 | 166 students
317 West St
Carthage, NY 13619
(315)493-1301 16.3 PK-8
- Canton Grades: K-12 | 40 students
1227 County Route 25
Canton, NY 13617
(315)379-9474 56 K-12
- Bethel Grades: NS-12 | 150 students
101 Nations Blvd
Bethel, MO 63434
(660)284-6300 868.7 NS-12
I attended one of the local catholic schools (St. Anthony's) until their merger into IHC Primary/Intermediate Schools. I began 4th grade at IHC Intermediate and graduated from IHC High school in 2013. I cannot even begin to express the sense of family, community, and love that I felt while attending. After growing up with my graduating class and spending so much time together through soccer, musicals, and the mystery players group I feel so truly blessed to have been a part of this school. I hope that once I achieve my degree in early childhood education that I can come back and give young students the same experience that I had.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - kabea
We have children at Primary and Intermediate. We all love IHC! This is a school where the teachers and administration are caring, patient and go over and above the norm to accommodate the children's learning needs. Many Teachers offer tutoring after school for any child interested. The academics at IHC are outstanding. Parents are welcomed and are very involved school activities. My son loves playing lacrosse and basketball for his school. My daughter enjoys learning her Catholic faith and practices it daily. She loves partaking in the beautiful Christmas concerts every year. The children enjoy the class outings and special in school and after school activities provided to them by the school's Home and School Assoc in conjunction with parent volunteers. Most importantly, our children are learning in a faith based, respectful and nurturing atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - Tnarr
Best school in the area! We put two kids in IHC while they were still in elementary school - one has graduated and is doing great in college, and the other is thriving. We love the values, sense of community, caring teachers. The academics are excellent. For such a small school, the athletic programs are superb. Our daughter loves the art program.
- Posted by Parent - chris
My husband returned to college to pursue a Physician Assistant degree and he credits the great study habits that I.H.C. instilled in him with his success in the program.We knew that there was no other choice for our children but I.H.C. for the best education. Now our grandchildren attend the school and they are happy and thriving.We believe in I.H.C.. We see the sucess it produces and we love being part of the I.H.C. family.
- Posted by Parent - atouc
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.