Little River Community School
- Little River Community School is an alternative school serving 40 students, grades K-12, in a four-room schoolhouse, in Canton, NY. At Little River, we have a fundamental trust in children and their inherent motivation to learn about their world.
- Children are given the opportunity to embark on their quest for knowledge and understanding at their own pace.
- We provide many resources for this journey, including experience, support, encouragement, a variety of hands-on learning materials and opportunities for field trips.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 8:1, we create the "one-room school house" model where students of all ages work together in the same class.
- Children are encouraged to understand and relate to the changing world around them.
- Given the opportunity, the students develop self-reliance and confidence, enabling them to make decisions and to take responsibility for the results of their actions.
- We nurture continued self-motivation rather than dependence on external motivation.
- Little River students are encouraged to help one another and learn through cooperation.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,037|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition aid available for low and middle income families.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
National avg.: 85%
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- CantonGrades: PK-KG | 43 students
2 Powers St
Canton, NY 13617
- PotsdamGrades: PK-6 | 96 students
45 Lawrence Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13676
- GouverneurGrades: PK-6 | 129 students
20 S Gordon St
Gouverneur, NY 13642
- NicholvilleGrades: K-8 | 20 students
Po Box 128
Nicholville, NY 12965
- MassenaGrades: K-6 | 223 students
188 Main St
Massena, NY 13662
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.