Little River Community School
Tel: (315) 379-9474
- Little River Community School is an alternative school serving 40 students, grades K-12, in a four-room schoolhouse, in Canton, NY. At Little River, we have a fundamental trust in children and their inherent motivation to learn about their world.
- Children are given the opportunity to embark on their quest for knowledge and understanding at their own pace.
- We provide many resources for this journey, including experience, support, encouragement, a variety of hands-on learning materials and opportunities for field trips.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 8:1, we create the "one-room school house" model where students of all ages work together in the same class.
- Children are encouraged to understand and relate to the changing world around them.
- Given the opportunity, the students develop self-reliance and confidence, enabling them to make decisions and to take responsibility for the results of their actions.
- We nurture continued self-motivation rather than dependence on external motivation.
- Little River students are encouraged to help one another and learn through cooperation.
Little River Community School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||39 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,037|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition aid available for low and middle income families.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
National avg.: 85%
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Albany Grades: 9-12 | 114 students
99 Slingerland Street
Albany, NY 12202
(518) 463-2247 147.3 9-12
- Brockport Grades: PK-12 | 78 students
60 Holley St
Brockport, NY 14420
(585) 637-4540 166.8 PK-12
- Bronx Grades: NS-12 | 217 students
1497 Needham Ave
Bronx, NY 10469
(718) 519-8884 260.6 NS-12
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.