Juan Diego Catholic High School
5.00 (9 reviews)
- Since opening in 1999, Juan Diego has been accessible to families of diverse backgrounds, resulting in halls rich in culture, faith, tradition and experience.
- Each student is challenged to expand the breadth of their knowledge and talents in addition to cultivating a reverence and respect for every human being.
- Our mission is to serve God by providing a challenging academic education, rooted in Catholic values and morals in developing the whole person.
- Our motto "Spiritus Donorum" - Spirit of Giving - pervades our campus culture of service, philanthropy and social justice.
Juan Diego Catholic High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Utah for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Yes|
|Total Students||763 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP European History, AP Government & Politics, US Comparative, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2D Design, AP US History, Concurrent Economics, Concurrent Human Biology, Concurrent Intro to College Writing, Concurrent US Gov. & Politics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Purchase uniform at school: khaki pants, oxford shirt (informal dress))
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / Aug. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact Kirsten Jansen at email@example.com for more information regarding tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,458|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kirsten Jansen|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Dance, Drill Team,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||32 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academy of Sciences, Travel Groups, Yearbook|
Club or Organization:
Business Club, Debate, Digital Media/Game Development/Computer, Engineering/Science Olympiad, Environmental, French, Human Rights International, International Student Club, Kairos Retreats, Mock Trial, National Honor Society, Newspaper/Journalism, Peer Ministry, Pre-Med, Robotics, Sci-Fi Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Government, TV Production
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Band, Chamber Choir, Concert, Dance, Drama, Film Club, Percussion/Drumline, Photo Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ski & Snowboard
- 98% of graduates go on to college
- Graduates earn an average $41,489 in renewable college scholarships.
- Located on the 57 acre state-of-the-art, Skaggs Catholic Center campus, near Salt Lake City and Wasatch mountains.
- 48 extra-curricular activities including 22 sports (boys, girls, co-ed)
- Juan Diego students may obtain a special Academy of Sciences designation on their student transcripts. Students may enter the Academy of Sciences track in either their Freshman or Sophomore year, and complete requirements to receive the Academy of Sciences honor.
- Juan Diego students may obtain a special Academy of Fine Arts designation on their student transcripts. The Academy of Fine Arts provides four areas of focus: Music, Visual Art, Dance, and Theatre. Each student will be assigned a mentor based on their area of focus to guide them through the process of completion. Students may enter the Academy of Fine Arts in either their Freshman or Sophomore year, and complete the requirements to receive the Academy of Fine Arts designation.
- AP CapstoneTM is an innovative diploma program from the College Board that equips students with the independent research, collaborative teamwork, and communication skills that are increasingly valued by colleges. AP Capstone is built on the foundation of two AP courses - AP Seminar and AP Research - and is designed to comple- ment and enhance the in-depth, discipline-speci c study experienced in other AP courses. In AP Seminar, students investigate real-world issues from multiple perspectives, gathering and analyzing information from various sources in order to develop credible and valid evidence-based arguments. In AP Research (JDCHS inaugural offering 2017-18, 12th grade), students cultivate the skills and discipline necessary to conduct independent research in order to produce and defend a scholarly academic thesis. AP Seminar is a prerequisite for AP Research. Students may not take AP Research without completing AP Seminar and all the required assessment components as they will not have developed the skill necessary to be successful in AP Research.
- Diverse student population: 34% minority includes Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Island, African and Native American
- ALL FAITHS WELCOME: 70% Catholic
- Open enrollment across the Wasatch Front primarily Salt Lake and Utah Counties
- High-tech, blended-learning approach to curriculum, integrating digital devices with traditional pedagogy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Layton Grades: PK-12 | 401 students
2352 E Highway 193
Layton, UT 84040
(807)771-7141 40.3 PK-12
I'm very grateful to have had 3 children go to JDCHS. This is a wonderful school with everything a family, parent and, student could need. I highly recommend it to everyone. Catholic or not they welcome and acomadate everyone. This is a great community for all to get involved in.
- Posted by Parent - Grateful Parent
We have loved our experience at Juan Diego. We love the community feel and all of the wonderful traditions that this campus has to offer. We feel that the school offers an excellent education while also promoting extra curricular activities including the arts, athletics and social justice programs. The teachers, faculty and staff are amazing. Our children began in the daycare and we are grateful for their "cradle to college" experience on this campus. We feel so blessed to be a part of this community.
- Posted by Parent - Tara
I have seen students from all types of backgrounds and religions come through Juan Diego's halls. There are countless stories of the caring teachers and coaches that have had such positive effects on student's high school experience. Student's preparation for college and their ability to study and work on long term goals was made part of the dna of Juan Diego graduates. JD's graduates have moved on to the professions and the trades and have had great successes. Best school for the money in Utah.
- Posted by Administrator - Jmo
Full disclosure: I am the principal of the high school for Juan Diego Catholic schools and have served in this position since we first opened in 1999. I am also a parent of two graduates who attended the schools from kindergarten through grade 12. If you choose our school I think you will find committed parents, dedicated teachers and motivated students engaged in our mission, which is to develop the whole student - body, mind and soul. Our belief is that the most well-rounded students become the most humane adults who help make the world a better place. We welcome families and students of all Faith backgrounds.
- Posted by Administrator - Dr. Galey Colosimo
I am so grateful for the 4 years that I spent at JDCHS. After years of struggling both academically and socially in public school, Juan Diego was amazing for me. Like many of my classmate, I am not catholic, I never have been and I still loved attending Mass and morning prayer and all the other moments and the opportunities that came with attending a catholic high school. Juan Diego opened doors for me in life that would not have been possible without this incredible school and its curriculum and reputation. The faculty was all so caring and helpful. They cared about not only your grades, but you as a person, in and out of the class room.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Brooke
Our son graduated from Juan Diego a few years ago. As he starts his senior year of college, we feel so pleased that we sent him to JD, tuition and all. It has paid off immensely in the number of college courses he tested out of, the more difficult classes he was well prepared for, and the incredible study habits he developed at Juan Diego. He Is ready for his year ahead and getting an early start on his Masters. A big thank you to the faculty and administrators at Juan Diego.
- Posted by Parent - k8.m.
Wow! This is an amazing school our children are lucky to attend. The emphasis on academics and preparing them for college is surpassed by none. My oldest recently finished her first year at an out of state university. When she returned for the summer she commented that college was easy thanks to the preparation she received at Juan Diego. The faculty and staff truly care about each child. Not only do our children receive a top education, they also grow both emotionally and spiritually. We are forever grateful.
- Posted by Parent - micke
There is plenty of activities for all students, from sports to clubs. The administration is very involved with the students and works hard to build the community between the school, parents and students. My children graduated from Juan Diego and were able to get in to their college of choice, one with a full scholarship. Great school!
- Posted by Parent - ububa
One of the greatest things about Juan Diego is that this community is a family. This campus truly feels like "home" to my children with the faculty, staff, and administration taking true individual care of their success as students. I have two JD Alums and one Sophomore. Our Children's counselor is THE. BEST. EVER!!! She was there every step of the way throughout the college process (could not have done it without her!!!!) "Above and Beyond" is how I would describe the attention to detail! I've seen the JD process from start to finish and there is NOTHING I would change about the experience...except for it to not go by as fast. Best 4 years before College!
- Posted by Parent - vande
It is illegal for an interviewer to ask certain questions at your job interview. Be aware of what they can and cannot ask you.
A Scholarship Funding Organization (SFO) is an organization which provides financial assistance for attendance at private school.
Not filling all the seats is a challenge many schools. Jason How offers some answers to common enrollment questions.