Kapka Cooperative School
Kapka Cooperative School Photo #2 - KapKa strives to create lifelong learners by helping students discover their passions and intrinsic motivations. At KapKa, children explore and ask questions to find answers, as opposed to passively receiving and recalling facts. They learn-by-doing and become flexible problem solvers. KapKa educators create a safe environment, a place where children feel confident taking risks and challenging themselves.
KapKa Cooperative School is a dynamic community of children, parents and teachers working together to create an inclusive, experiential learning environment that fosters capable and compassionate lifelong learners.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Students: 66 students
- Yearly Tuition: $14,900
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
At KapKa, we believe:
- Children are inherently kind, caring, and curious and have vast potential to contribute uniquely and positively to the world.
- Academic, social-emotional, and physical learning are all essential components of a child's education.
- The learning process-asking questions, testing ideas and making discoveries-is at least as important as the answers we arrive at and the products we create.
- Experiential and integrated learning allows children to gain meaningful understandings, access useful knowledge, make informed choices, and become flexible problem-solvers.
- Emergent curriculum, which incorporates student voice and choice, allows children to be fully engaged and invested in their learning.
- A safe, supportive school environment fosters confidence and independence in children by empowering them to take risks and responsibility.
- Growth in all areas of development (intellectual, social-emotional and physical) requires honest and supportive feedback and regular, meaningful reflection.
- A reciprocal (respectful and sustainable) relationship with the natural world and the human community in which we live is the ultimate goal of education.
- Active participation by parents, both in and out of the classroom, is integral to creating and sustaining a dynamic, nurturing and connected learning community.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 206-522-0350
- Website: www.kapkaschool.org
Kapka has been such a source of community for our family and has taught both my son and my daughter multiple perspectives of the world, strength in the arts, and empathy towards others. The passion of the teachers is evident in the curriculum is they design for the kids and has enabled my older son to transition to middle school as a self advocate for his learning and maintain a driving curiosity. My daughter - who is currently at Kapka feeds her passion for math and learning about the world through their well thought out projects. We're looking forward to sending our 3 rd child there next year!
Our daughter and son both went to KapKa and we loved it. It is a small elementary co-op and I am convinced that KapKa is a shining beacon of what education should be. I feel for many children the attitude toward school is often 'It's too hard to think. Just tell me what to do!' And this is the notion that has gotten many of us adults through our schooling. However, pouring content into children's heads is an antiquated idea. And as a parent looking for a school, please consider what you want your school to do for your child. As simply as I can say it, at KapKa, they taught my children to be thinkers. The way that they did this was that the educators are thinkers. They were not conveyors of information. The teachers cultivated inquiry of the world, inquiry of the classroom, inquiry of the community and inquiry of the self as a learner. And it was inspiring to be a part of this community.
Our daughter spent six years at KapKa and was wonderfully prepared to enter middle school. The teachers are top-notch, devoted to the children, and committed to establishing a joy of learning in their students. The school's strengths are project based learning, art, music, multi-age groupings, and social emotional learning. As a cooperative, parents are heavily involved, creating a wonderful sense of community.
We are grateful that we discovered KapKa and are able to have our child (new in kindergarten this year) attend! We looked at several schools, but were struck by the strong supportive community at KapKa and the emphasis/recognition of individual styles/personalities. I`ve never seen a school take such incredibly great care in forging an active community among the kids, too-the first several weeks have featured countless cross-grade activities that have been remarkably effective at getting the kids to bond, to each other and into the community in general. We couldn`t have made a better choice for our son!
Endorse Kapka Cooperative School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.