- Early childhood is the most important stage of development when the foundation for lifelong learning is created.
- It is a time of growing self-awareness and intense exploration of the world around us.
- It is a time when essential neurological pathways are created that will determine not only our capacity to survive, but to grow into healthy, able, creative and productive individuals.
- At Kay School we provide developmentally appropriate opportunities and experiences that will not only prepare our young students for academic success, but also awaken and enhance lifelong skills that are critical to our changing world: creativity, critical thinking, innovation, communication, collaboration, curiosity and empathy.
- Kay School provides a safe, loving and caring environment for children ages two-and-a-half through Kindergarten, as well as for school-age children through middle school in our before and after school programs.
- The School has been named for a preschool teacher whose ability to connect with young children, nurture their natural capacity to learn, and give them confidence and love of learning, inspired all who knew her.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-Prekindergarten|
|Total Students||7 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Amy Blair|
- Kay School offers full-day programs for children aged two-and-a-half through Kindergarten (8:30 am to 3:00 pm), a half-day option (8:45 – 11:45 am) for the younger children, and an extended before and after school program for children through middle school (6:30 – 8:30 am and 3:00 – 6:30 pm). Parent-Child classes and a range of enrichment programs are also provided. The School is open year-round, except for certain federal and school holidays. School Facilities include a 7,600 sq. ft. Barn which was rehabilitated specifically as a child development center. It has six large, well-equipped classrooms that provide comfortable, well lit, and abundant space for child-centered activities. A large, well-equipped playground and nearby treed and park areas provide ample opportunities for outdoor study and play. Our project-based, integrated curriculum offers science exploration, block building, visual arts, story dramatization, music and movement, manipulatives and dramatic play, and small group work in language arts and math. It encourages a relationship between teacher and student that embraces the innate curiosity and rich potential of each child. Classes are small to enable small group activities, individualized attention, and supervised play. For older children in the after school program, homework and tutoring support are provided as well as a variety of enrichment activities.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Herndon Grades: NS-PK
3051 Centreville Rd
Herndon, VA 20171
(703)834-2830 1.6 NS-PK