Lake Michigan Academy
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,850|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Scholarships available|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||45 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition dependent on part-time ($13,000) or full-time ($14,000) status and financial assistance is available. Mid-year enrollment will receive pro-rated tuition discount.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
|Admissions Director||Nanette Clatterbuck|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Barto|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Equestrian, Ultimate FrisbeeEquestrian, Ultimate Frisbee,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
volunteer/community service club
- Lake Michigan Academy is a state-recognized, non-profit non-public school for children with learning disabilities and ADD/ ADHD in grades 1-12. Our philosophy can be summed up in the phrase "different learning. different teaching" and our goal is to develop potential by breaking through learning challenges and helping students find success.
- We are the only school in West Michigan devoted solely to educating children with learning disabilities (LD) and ADHD.
- We customize our curriculum for each student based on their strengths and weaknesses to help each student discover their potential.
- We combine small class sizes with positive attitudes to improve student self-esteem and self-confidence and promote social skills.
- Students leave Lake Michigan Academy either college ready or work place ready as determined by their individual needs and plans/goals.
- Lake Michigan Academy graduates receive a state endorsed high school diploma meeting the same requisite standards of a traditional Michigan high school.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grand Rapids Grades: PK-8 | 224 students
2750 Burton St Se
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
(616)949-1690 0.4 PK-8
- Ann Arbor Grades: 4-12 | 58 students
111 East Mosley Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734)747-6641 104.8 4-12
- Byron Center Grades: 9-12 | 603 students
7979 KALAMAZOO AVE SE
Byron Center, MI 49315
(616)455-3210 7.5 9-12
- Byron Center Grades: NS-12 | 282 students
7555 Byron Center Avenue SW
Byron Center, MI 49315
(616)878-9472 9 NS-12
I really cannot say enough good things about this school. The teachers here are specially trained to teach children with various learning disabilites, and they are able to adapt their methods to the individual child to optimize the results. My wife and I discovered LMA when our daughter was in the second grade after private school that we previously thought might help told us that they were not capable of helping her. After enrolling at LMA, the results were amazing. She stayed enrolled until we moved away in the middle of 6th grade, and our greatest regret in moving was having to leave LMA.This is the place where other schools send their teachers to learn how to handle LD kids. They are the equivalent to subspecialists in medicine, and they are worth every penny and much more.
- Posted by Parent - Dr Tim Murphy
Our son started here this year and the transformation has been dramatic. Where he was a "deer in the headlights" at our local elementary he now is learning at a pace he can handle, talking about school and really blossoming. If you have a child with LD and or ADHD I would highly recommend it.
- Posted by Parent - wagen