Louisville Classical Academy
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (502) 228-7787
Located in the heart of the culturally vibrant Highlands, Louisville Classical Academy is unlike any classical school in the region.
Independent, nonsectarian, and welcoming of diverse viewpoints, LCA provides capable, questioning, motivated students with a comprehensive and unified education based on a solid foundation of knowledge and strong thinking skills.
Considered of equal importance is the cultivation of intelligent habits of mind, such as persistence, attentiveness, and flexible thinking.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||6 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Latin, AP US History|
|Average SAT score||1240|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Shelly Ward|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Cross CountryCross Country|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Junior Classical League, MathCounts, National Geographic Bee, Science Club, Spelling Bee
Arts and Music Programs:
Private Music Lessons, School Play
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Louisville Classical Academy stands in a long tradition of education that reflects the spirit of inquiry of ancient Greece. Students at LCA learn, in a very literal way, how to participate productively in the "Great Conversation" that began in Athens more than 2,000 years ago and continues today. In the modern world, essential areas of study in the classical liberal arts and sciences include Latin and Greek, advanced science and mathematics, enduring literature, history, fine arts, music, and geography, as well as culturally significant mythology and philosophy. These tools develop superior habits of mind that also accelerate learning in the sciences, history, and art. Within this intellectual home, LCA students in kindergarten through twelfth grade learn to approach learning and life with reason, mindfulness, and purpose. Louisville Classical Academy is a small school by design, and our scale enables students to find a meaningful place within a vibrant community. Kindness, patience, and courtesy are truly honored. Our teachers` goal for each student is self-confidence tempered by the humility that should result from an encounter with the great thinkers whose works we study. When needed, above grade-level class placements are based on the student`s prior studies, areas of talent or challenge, and overall maturity. Our determination to ignore grade levels where they get in the way of accelerated learning has allowed us to successfully support eighth graders in Calculus, Advanced Placement Latin, and Advanced Placement Art History. Boredom in the classroom or with the LCA curriculum is not a common complaint.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Louisville Grades: K-8 | 160 students
1925 Duker Ave
Louisville, KY 40205
(502) 459-6131 0.7 K-8
- Louisville Grades: K-12 | 112 students
11501 Schlatter Road
Louisville, KY 40291
(502) 239-3345 10.7 K-12
- Louisville Grades: PK-8 | 229 students
901 Breckenridge Ln
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 899-1822 2.9 PK-8
Louisville Classical Academy has completely fit our child's needs. The small class sizes and seminar-style of teaching allows for the students to be extremely engaged and we have found that our son loves school again. The students are all very smart and well mannered and respect each other, the teachers, and the school very much. We love the LCA families, too. They are all bright and interesting and involved. We were so fortunate to find LCA!
- Posted by Parent - LCA Parent
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.