Maranatha Christian Schools
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (858) 759-9737
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #2 - Our Elementary Divison offers an innovative educational experience challenging students both academically and developmentally. Our talented team of educators engage and nurture students, encouraging children to be inquisitive, to think critically and to become self-motivated learners.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #3 - Maranatha Christian Preschool recognizes a child's needs during the early years are different from those of older children. We see the greatest intellectual growth during early childhood and our approach to learning prepares each student to reach their spiritual and academic potential. Our program encourages and challenges age-appropriate development using hands-on curriculum in literature, art, science, math and music.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #4 - Junior High is a time of great growth and transformation, MCS provides a learning environment that is academically challenging and empowering. Students are encouraged to discover their unique gifts and talents while being spiritually, intellectually and creatively inspired. We strive to provide a rigorous set of academic courses that challenge a student's intellect in Bible, social studies, science, technology, art.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #5 - High School is the launching point for spiritual, academic and personal success. Students sharpen their skills in communication, problem-solving and critical thinking while broadening their creative potential through a variety of co-curricular activities. More importantly, they will be well-rounded and equipped for the important transition to higher education.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #6 - As part of the ACSI accreditation process, 80% or more of our teachers are required to hold the ACSI credential. In combination with the ACSI credential, State of California credentials, and credentials from other states, nearly 100% of our teachers hold a valid teaching credential and/or advanced degrees.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #7 - Our goal is to provide a Christ-centered environment while teaching advanced performing and instrumental arts skills. We want to encourage students to use their gifts to glorify God while using the platform of Performing Arts to minister to others.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #8 - Our mission is to utilize creative arts to help students realize their talents are a blessing from God.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #9 - We have a strong athletics tradition geared toward developing all athletes to perform at a higher level of play. Our student-athletes are trained in character development, with a focus on honesty, integrity and ethical behavior on and off the field. We field 15 CIF teams, have won League Championships, CIF postseason appearances, and CIF championships.
Maranatha Christian Schools Photo #10 - Our philosophy places a strong emphasis on player development, and we strive to strengthen the walk of every athlete. Our ultimate goal is to please God and honor Him in everything we do. We offer hands-on help and guidance with college placement for the driven athlete with an emphasis on fundamental skills, proper mechanics, and character development.
- Maranatha Christian Schools is a Christ-centered learning community where students experience God's love, are equipped to fulfill God's unique call and purpose, and excel in their God-given potential through academics, arts and athletics.
- Maranatha Christian Volleybal moves up, still wins - 11/09/2019 - San Diego Section Division II girls volleyball final!
- Maranatha Christian nears fourth straight title - 11/05/2019 - Eagles sweep Escondido in San Diego Section Division II girls volleyball semifinals.
- Maranatha Christian celebrates Homecoming on new field - 10/17/2019 - Maranatha Christian High School`s Eagles are going "Out of this World" during their homecoming festivities.
- Maranatha Christian building new fields - 07/17/2019 - The project will allow teams to play games on campus again. The football, soccer, softball and baseball teams will have new fields on which to play their games.
- Jordan’s work ethic inspires Maranatha senior - 12/05/2018 - Girl's Varsity Basketball point guard, Kaylee Herring, leads in her senior year.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||905 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art 2-D-A, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European Civilization, AP Photography, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art - 2D Design, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1178|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,717|
|Tuition Notes||TK: $7467 | K-5: $11,760 | 6-8: $13,670 | 9-12: $14,698|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Doris Thurman|
|Admissions Associate||Kelly Rupp|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Football,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||41 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Associated Student Body, Ceramics Club, Dance Crew Club, Design Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Handcraft Club, Hearts for the Lord Club, ISS (International Space Station), Jewelry Club, Key Club, Math Club, Ministry Trips, Missions, National Honor Society, Robotics, Science Fair, Student Newspaper, Surf Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Show, Band, Choir, Drama & Musical Theatre, Drama 2 (UC Approved), Graphics Design, Orchestra, Photography, Student Led Worship, Studio Art, Video Editing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
CIF Baseball, CIF Basketball, CIF Cross Country, CIF Football, CIF Girls Softball, CIF Soccer, CIF Track and Field, CIF Volleyball, Competitive Cheer, HS Wrestling, JH Flag Football
Maranatha Christian School's mission is to train up the next generation of leaders. Our goal is to make sure our students are well prepared for college and university to impact their families, communities, our nation, and the world for Jesus Christ - " Transforming Lives, Transforming the World."
- MCS' learning environment is just as strong academically as it is in Christ. MCS is committed to both.
- We are a premier College Prep School featuring college preparatory academics and innovative learning opportunities.
- AP Test scores track in the 80th percentile (statewide schools track at 60 percent).
- High percentage of our graduating classes matriculate to college.
- 10% of high school students are recognized by College Board as AP Scholars.
- Rigorous academic program includes math competitions and a variety of STEAM activities.
- Broad choice of competitive sports programs, enrichment and co-curricular activities.
- Prepares students for future college admissions requirements.
- Academically challenging program provides a launch pad for higher level learning.
- STEAM oriented program prepares students for the rigor of Junior High and High School.
- Focus on extracurricular participation gets students on the path toward college acceptance.
- Well-rounded program encourages and challenges age-appropriate development.
- Hands-on curriculum in literature, math, art, science, and music (STEAM activities) are a regular part of preschool curriculum.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Diego Grades: PK-12 | 334 students
2277 Rosecrans St.
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 764-5200 20.4 PK-12
My daughter has been attending MCS since 2013 and she is flourishing! Maranatha has given her opportunities that she might not have experienced at a public school. She is involved in theater, track, cheer, and choir. As a parent I am thrilled that she is having a well- rounded education with a good balance of academics, arts and athletics in a faith based framework. The teaching staff and faculty genuinely care about my daughter and her future. The faculty demonstrate their dedication to both a higher education and service to God with every decision they make. Maranatha is a stable and well-nourished learning experience for children of all grades. Most of all, my daughter actually looks forward to going to school every day! We are here to stay.
- Posted by Parent - Sistiana Chestnut
Last year, my son transferred into MCS mid-year as a high school sophomore. He found the courses more challenging than those at his high-performing public high school, and yet he said learning was easier because "the teachers really care at this school." His demeanor changed immediately from a stressed-out, frowning teen to a smiling, relaxed young man. I saw the smile he had lost in middle school again. This school is a loving environment with a true Christian world view. My son has no social pressure here. he is challenging himself more to perform academically this year because his friends take school seriously, but they also have fun. Finally, my son is a very competitive baseball player, and he has found challenges and support from the new athletic director and first-rate coaching staff. They are helping him take his baseball to the college level. Finally, the college and career counselor is the best! This is a beautiful school in a beautiful setting with a beautiful vibe. You need to visit to really experience it.
- Posted by Parent - tracy
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?