- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 374 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
View the Horizon Prep yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
- Horizon Prep`s Preschool follows a Montessori-based model of education. In Montessori school, play is a child`s work. While there is a focus on academics, the distinguishing feature is that children learn at their own pace, in all of the developmental areas, under the guidance of a fully qualified teacher. The assistant teacher supports the smooth running of the classroom which gives the lead teacher the time to spend with individual children.
- In Pre-Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten, the mixed Classical-Montessori curriculum prepares students for a traditional Kindergarten environment by encouraging participation in whole class and small group instruction. Students also have the unique opportunity to develop at their own pace in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics and Geography, allowing them to explore and master concepts that are well beyond what can be taught in a traditional group environment.
- In the Grammar stage the developmental building block of all learning elementary aged students are eager to learn and absorb information. We focus on delivering curriculum in ways that are memorable, fun, engaging and encouraging, laying the foundation for advanced study. Students in the grammar stage of development have an amazing ability to memorize, so we use daily memorization periods, using chant, song, motion, and rhyme, to encourage and engage students in a fun and joyful environment while filling them with information.Core instruction in math, science, language arts, history, and Bible complimented with Spanish, Latin, technology, music, art, P.E. and library.
- In the Logic stage of the middle school years, students have begun to question "why." They are analyzing the world around them and developing their ability to reason and discern truth. The formal logic skills we teach during this stage empower students to argue well while they learn to understand the world around them and their place in it. Core instruction is in math, science, language arts, history, and Bible complimented with Spanish, Latin, logic, music, art and P.E.
- In the Rhetoric stage of the high school years, students are continually synthesizing information and learning how to present their ideas persuasively. They are becoming increasingly confident in knowing what they believe and why, and are positively shaping their environment and the community around them. Thus they are fast becoming the "good man speaking well," the master of words who is the graduate of the classical model. The Rhetoric Stage of our Classical Program is the culmination of the process of learning, bringing knowledge and understanding together to be expressed wisely and persuasively in word and deed. Guided research and discovery in many areas with the goal of synthesis of ideas; written and oral presentation, debate, speech, responsibilities for leadership on campus, worldview discussions, in-depth field trips.
Endorse Horizon Prep. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards