Mary Help Of Christians Academy
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (973) 790-6200
Mary Help of Christians Academy, a Catholic preparatory school in the Salesian tradition, embraces the charism of reason, religion and loving kindness as inspired by Saint John Bosco and Saint Mary Mazzarello.
Embodying the ideals of "Beauty, Truth, and Joy," young women grades nine through twelve are educated in a family environment developing their spiritual growth, academic excellence, social responsibility and commitment to service.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||165 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP English Literature & Composition, AP French, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History, FDU: College Accounting, FDU: College Chemistry 2, FDU: College English Composition, FDU: College Environmental Science, FDU: College Marketing, FDU: College Personal Financial Management, FDU: College Precalculus, Rutgers: Anatomy & Physiology 1, Rutgers: Anatomy & Physiology 2, Rutgers: Dynamics of Healthcare in Society, Rutgers: Medical Terminology|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 7 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,500|
|Tuition Notes||Academic Scholarships, Need and Merit Based Financial Aid, and Tuition Financing Available|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Katie Caufield|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Dance, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Bowling,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ambassadors, Art Club, Big Sisters/Little Sisters, Campus Ministry, Debate, French Conversation Cafe, Junior Salesian Apostles, Key Club, Math Tutoring, N.J. Science League, National Honor Society, Peer Mediation, Peer Tutors, Pro-Life Club, Spanish Tutoring, Student Council, True Love Waits
Arts and Music Programs:
After School Dance, Choir, Mary Help Players, Photography Club, Spring Musical
- Mary Help of Christians Academy, located in the Diocese of Paterson, is a private Catholic secondary school for young women. It is conducted by the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco, in collaboration with laypersons committed to Catholic education. Within a community rooted in the Gospel and in Catholic teachings, traditions and moral values, Mary Help of Christians Academy seeks to enable young women to establish a living relationship with Christ. This relationship empowers the individual to make a positive impact on her family, local, and world communities.
- Mary Help of Christians Academy recognizes that the task of education is the responsibility of all: faculty, parents, collaborators and students. By embracing a diverse population, individual differences and abilities, the members of the educating community create an intellectually challenging environment. Here the students can prepare for college and the workplace with a life-long commitment to faith, education, leadership and service in a multicultural society.
- Mary Help of Christians Academy utilizes the Preventive System developed by St. John Bosco and given a specifically feminine dimension by St. Mary Mazzarello. This system of education characterizes the interaction among the members of the educating community who seek in every situation to appeal to reason and faith with loving kindness. The resulting mutual respect and trust promote feelings of self-worth and confidence.
- Mary Help of Christians Academy values educational principles and learning experiences extending beyond the classroom. Each student is encouraged to develop solid convictions and to gradually assume responsibility for her personal growth and faith formation. She is thereby empowered to realize her unique plan and purpose in an ever-changing and complex society.
People that viewed Mary Help Of Christians Academy also viewed these schools: DePaul Catholic High School, Immaculate Conception High School, Academy Of The Holy Angels, Paterson Catholic High School and Oak Knoll School Of The Holy Child (All Girls 7-12).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wayne Grades: 8-12 | 560 students
1512 Alps Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
(973) 694-3702 3 8-12
- Demarest Grades: 9-12 | 559 students
315 Hillside Ave
Demarest, NJ 07627
(201) 768-7822 12.7 9-12
- Paterson Grades: 9-12 | 303 students
764 11th Ave
Paterson, NJ 07514
(973) 278-1024 3.4 9-12
- Summit Grades: 7-12 | 308 students
44 Blackburn Road
Summit, NJ 07901
(908) 522-8109 18.5 7-12
I graduated MHCA in 2007. I`m proud to say that my former classmates have remarkable accolades and have changed this world for the absolute best. From faith, community, entrepreneurship, technology, education, finance, and politics.... My friends have been featured in Forbes Magazine for women in technology initiatives, invited to the White House for changing the international view of feeding the homeless, worked alongside our government to save victims of human trafficking, became the producer of some of our favorite morning news shows, and the list is endless. MHCA taught us to be fearless, ethical, structured, and limitless. My fondest memories and closest friends are from MHCA. I`m truly grateful for the experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Marjorie Stenger
For those who do not know, MHCA is the sister school to Don Bosco Prep. MHCA is a GREAT all female Catholic High School surviving without all of the extreme marketing and fanfare done by the competition. My daughter will graduate June 2018. The past 4 years have helped her grow academically, socially, through volunteerism and faith. She has received incredible academic scholarships from MANY TOP Universities. She could not have done this without the help of the entire MHCA staff. Led by the warmest nuns you could ever meet who are not afraid to teach the young ladies right from wrong. I love the atmosphere. I love the fact that all of the teachers know her name. I send my kids to Catholic schools for a reason. If you are looking for a school that actually still offers teaching in the Catholic Tradition this is the place. Thank you MHCA - my next child will be attending starting Fall 2018!
- Posted by Parent - Thankful
I joined the family at MHC Academy in 2015 as the Director of Marketing, Communications, and Alumnae Relations. Prior to accepting this position, I spent a decade working in education as both a teacher, literacy coach, and district level public relations representative. The bulk of my experience before Mary Help was earned in public and charter school districts.It's not every day that a public school employee makes the decision to cross over into private education, so when it does occur, you can usually rest assured it is with good reason. For me, the decision was a no-brainer. There is truly something unique about this institution, and it's something you can feel as soon as you step foot on our picturesque 16-acre campus. What we like to call "The Mary Help Difference," is something you'll hear quite a lot about when you meet and speak with our students, faculty, and staff, and while not everyone may call it that, they will surely all tell you the same thing: At Mary Help, we are a family, and not a day goes by where we aren't reminded of that in one way or another.As you search for the perfect school for your daughter, you will undoubtedly pour over endless statistics and facts that make it easier to compare schools side-by-side. You'll be impressed by how many of a school's graduates receive scholarships to college, lists of Advanced Placement and college credit earning course options, the range of sports offerings, or the professional caliber of their stage productions. In the end, however, it is likely you'll choose to invest in a school at which you believe your daughter will be nurtured and protected, not just well-taught. We invite you to get to know us and see what Mary Help can do for your daughter and her future.
- Posted by Teacher - Christine Lombardo
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.