Mason Preparatory School
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||281 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade. Kindergarten: $14,300 Grades 1-6: $16,840 Grades 7&8: $17,445|
|Admissions Director||Lawrie Stamatiades|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Golf, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Golf,|
- Independent, non-profit, co-ed school for grades K-8
- Total student population: approximately 275
- Student to teacher ratio: 11 to 1
- School hours 8:00 - 3:05, with faculty supervision beginning at 7:30
- Typically, two homerooms per grade
- Individual assistants in each kindergarten and first grade class, shared assistants in grades 2-4
- State of the art technology equipment with technology instruction beginning in kindergarten; 1:1 iPad/tablet program in grades 3-8
- Weekly curriculum including art, music, media center, physical education, guidance, French and/or Spanish Carnegie unit available in Algebra I and French I or Spanish I for proficient eighth grade students
- Full time guidance counselor
- Full time learning specialist
- Varied sports programs available for boys and girls; developmental programs through grade 3 and interscholastic competition in grades 4-8
- Afterschool enrichment offerings in many areas, such as: dance, chess, critical thinking, karate, math/science/engineering, yoga, and skill development in baseball and soccer
- Extended care available on full school days until 5:45 p.m.
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)/AdvancEd and the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS)
- Member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Palmetto Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), and the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA)
- Our graduates enroll in an outstanding variety of public and private high schools.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charleston Grades: 1-12 | 935 students
300 Albemarle Rd
Charleston, SC 29407
(843) 402-4773 1 1-12
- Charleston Grades: K-5 | 98 students
13 Oakdale Pl
Charleston, SC 29407
(843) 573-1033 2.2 K-5
This is the best school I have ever gone to they have the best teachers and everyone is so nice
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rosie
The gift of an education is the greatest gift that any parent can give a child. Thirty years ago my parents and grandparents made the decision to send me to Mason Prep. That one choice has and still continues to impact my life every day. What I gained from my experience at Mason Prep was so much more than just an education, and I cannot thank my family enough for their sacrifice and for choosing Mason Prep. When the time came for my husband and I to make a decision on schools for our children, we without a doubt chose Mason Prep. Returning to Mason Prep as an alumni and now parent has been a wonderful experience especially being able to drop children off every morning knowing they are loved and in safe hands. We consider the faculty and staff at Mason Prep to be family.
- Posted by Parent - Brooke Ash
All four of our children attend Mason Prep in grades first, fifth and seventh. We chose Mason Prep for its strong academics and nurturing environment. All of the teachers are wonderful. We truly appreciate the individual, caring attention they give to each of our children, focusing on their strengths and helping them overcome their weaknesses. We love that the teachers at Mason Prep know when to give the children close guidance and when to give them more responsibility and freedom. Our children know that learning can be fun! The school`s smaller size means that the Head of School, teachers and every other member of the staff know each of our children well. We feel blessed that our children attend Mason Prep and would recommend it whole-heartedly.
- Posted by Parent - Rick and Michele Koster
We have our two children at Mason Prep now and could not be more pleased with the caring and energized teachers and staff that work so diligently to provide the best possible experience to our children. The individual attention and focus on learning in a truly nurturing environment has helped our children thrive. The extra emphasis on community service, manners, and developing strong personal character, is why we chose Mason Prep.
- Posted by Parent - Craig Colby
I have two sons that attend Mason Prep. We could not be happier! Each and every teacher we have had has been exceptional. The teachers and all staff at the school are caring, know each child by name on the first day. It is like a family. The small school allows the administration and all staff to get to know each child, their strengths and weaknesses. The manners and kindness that you see in each and every student is very impressive. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a caring environment and wonderful education.
- Posted by Parent - Laura Rembert
Mason Prep has proven to be the perfect school for our daughter. Beyond the excellent academics, the school strives to help develop well rounded, good citizens in a nurturing environment. The teachers and staff are amazing, truly dedicated to the students. We couldn`t be more pleased with our experience at Mason Prep, and highly recommend it to anyone that values a great education and character building experience.
- Posted by Parent - Laura Brisson
We are so glad that we chose Mason Prep for our daughter! It is a caring and nurturing environment, with wonderful academics. It is an environment that allows children to make mistakes and learn and grow from them. I am always impressed by how polite all of the children are, in both elementary and middle school. The staff truly cares for each and every student, and it shows! Our daughter loves MP and is proud to be a Knight!
- Posted by Parent - JenBEvans
Mason Prep has been a wonderful experience for my two daughters for the past 6 years. MP is a very unique community of dedicated teachers, supportive parents and happy students. MP provides challenging and comprehensive academic programs. The school promotes leadership, community service, character development and presentation skills. The students are growing and learning in a very nurturing environment.
- Posted by Parent - Vera Ivanova
Mason Prep is such a special place! We are so grateful for this school, and have been very pleased with the teachers, administrators, academics and overall caring environment that Mason Prep has provided for our daughter. Each teacher she has been fortunate enough to have while at Mason Prep has made a positive impact on her life--not only from an educational perspective, but also on her self-esteem and her sense of place in the world. In addition to having high academic standards, Mason Prep stands out for its emphasis on good citizenship and character. I would encourage anyone with children in grades K through 8 to consider this wonderful school!
- Posted by Parent - Lori Winkler
We have both of our children enrolled at Mason Prep and its one the best decisions we have made as parents. Both are academically challenged and guided in principle, but equally as important, they are genuinely loved and cared for. Its a warm and loving environment; perfect for our family.
- Posted by Parent - Edward Oswald
Two of my three children attend Mason Prep (third one will soon), and I honestly could not be happier with our experience. The teachers and administration are so caring and engaged with not only the students but also with the parents. The teachers understand the needs/strengths/weaknesses of each child and work hard to maximize each child's potential in a non-stressful way that would otherwise make the kids lose confidence. At the same time, they let the kids make mistakes and do not shelter them from occasional let-downs and failures. In short, the school produces well-rounded and well-educated kids that are prepared for the next level. I can honestly recommend the school without hesitation. It feels like family. Randy
- Posted by Parent - Randy Bates