5.00 (4 reviews)
- Small class sizes of 10 or less. Reading is taught in small groups by reading level, not grade, every morning.
- Each grade level has Art, Science, Math, Social Studies, and Language Arts by specialists every day (i.e. the children move between specialist rooms rather than following a home-room model).
- Mixed-age learning opportunities every day (all-school park & lunchtimes every day plus mixed-age elective classes in the afternoon that change every month).
- Hands-on learning curriculum Individualized, differentiated instruction. Social-emotional learning integrated across school programs.
- Before and after school program available either full-time or per day.
Matheia School places among the top 20% of private schools in Washington for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||30 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Matheia School offers a limited financial aid program to families with demonstrated need. For more information on this program, please contact our office manager at (206) 283-1828.|
|Admissions Director||Allison Soules|
|Admissions Associate||Junia Montano|
- Matheia School uses a specialist approach. We have math, science, art, social studies and writing teachers. Because reading is essential to all disciplines, all of our students begin their day in Reading classes. They then proceed to daily Art, Math, Science, Social Studies and Language Arts classes.
- Our curriculum also includes physical education, outdoor education, technology, music, dance, cooking, and foreign-language experiences. Our teachers' enthusiasm for their chosen subjects is contagious; Matheia School is a place where children can experience the joy of learning. Our approach is child-centered, with the emphasis on hands-on participatory activities.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Seattle Grades: PK-8 | 206 students
600 Nw Bright St
Seattle, WA 98107
(206)789-7889 1.5 PK-8
- Seattle Grades: PK-5 | 246 students
2227 10th Avenue E
Seattle, WA 98102
(206)442-6855 4 PK-5
- Seattle Grades: K-5
4649 Sunnyside Ave N Ste 242
Seattle, WA 98103
(206)632-7154 2.7 K-5
- Seattle Grades: K-8 | 377 students
2619 4th Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109
(206)691-2625 2.9 K-8
We are part of the school and moved from a local public school where we completed kindergarten. The school has lots of magical things about it, among them: project based education (kids get depth of learning rather than transactionally hopping across disjointed exercises and concepts every 10 mins), low student to teacher ratio (which means teachers are not stressed, truly attuned, and can tailor approaches for each student), very strong and friendly parent community, phenomenal art and emotional development program.
- Posted by Parent - Kamila R
Matheia is a hidden Seattle gem! The teachers are so welcoming and approachable, always willing to have a quick chat during drop off or pick up. The upper-grade students are respectful and so caring of the younger students, which has made our shy kindergartner's transition to the school a smooth one. Matheia has such a creative & engaging curriculum, and knowing that our daughter gets to experience all subjects, with teachers passionate about their subjects (art especially!), on a daily basis, was the main draw for us! On top of that, their small class sizes of 10 or fewer students help to make learning a fun experience for our daughter.
- Posted by Parent - Isabel M.
Hey I am a student from Mathiea send ur kids here k
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Matheia Student (secret)
I'm so happy that our family found Matheia! It is a very small school that has the feel of a cross between a single-room schoolhouse and a private tutoring program. Rather than the homeroom model used by most elementary schools, Matheia takes a specialist approach. Kids start the day in reading groups that are sorted by reading level, not grade. They then move through specialist classes with their grade level group, with a long break for a full-school outdoor PE and lunch/play time and with mixed-aged electives at the end of the day. What I love is that my son really feels like he is part of a bigger community, yet his core learning experiences involve such small classes that the teachers can truly differentiate for each students unique needs and abilities.
- Posted by Parent - GreenPhd
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.