Mountaintop Montessori School
Inspiring and guiding our students to become global citizens through critical thinking, mindful action and joyful responsibility towards their educations, others and the earth.
Mountaintop is one of only two schools in Virginia to be fully accredited by both the American Montessori Society and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked VA School
- School Type: Montessori School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 234 students
- Average class size: 23 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Mountaintop Montessori School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 30%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Varies by student\'s age and length of day for which student is enrolled.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
- Mountaintop owns nearly 10 acres on Pantops Mountain. The facilities include: classrooms with adjacent gardens and areas for outdoor learning; a greenhouse; a multi-purpose building that includes a gym; two spacious old homes and a cottage that are home to classrooms; a commercial-grade instructional kitchen; a student-run school store; and playgrounds and athletic fields. The school was established in 1982 by a group of parents interested in offering the Montessori method as an alternative educational model for their children. Mountaintop Ecology curriculum includes certification as a wildlife sanctuary with the National Wildlife Foundation and Audubon International. Mountaintop serves over 200 children in our: * Toddler Community (18 months- 3 years), * Children's House (PreK and K), * Elementary (grades 1-3 and 4-6) and * Middle School (grades 7-8) Families come to Mountaintop from Charlottesville, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson and Green Counties for the nurturing Montessori environment we provide. Mountaintop is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees who are parents of alumni and current students and members of the local education, business and professional community.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mountaintop Montessori School's ranking?
Mountaintop Montessori School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for: Largest student body.
When is the application deadline for Mountaintop Montessori School?
The application deadline for Mountaintop Montessori School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Mountaintop Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.