Mountaintop Montessori School
- Inspiring and guiding our students to become global citizens through critical thinking, mindful action and joyful responsibility towards their educations, others and the earth.
- Mountaintop is one of only two schools in Virginia to be fully accredited by both the American Montessori Society and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||186 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by student's age and length of day for which student is enrolled.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,211|
|Admissions Director||Wendy Fisher|
|Admissions Associate||Leigh Ann Carver|
- Mountaintop owns nearly 10 acres on Pantops Mountain. The facilities include: classrooms with adjacent gardens and areas for outdoor learning; a greenhouse; a multi-purpose building that includes a gym, an art gallery and an art studio; two spacious old homes and a cottage that are home to classrooms, kitchens for classroom use and offices; a student-run school store; and playgrounds and athletic fields. The school was established in 1981 by a group of parents interested in offering the Montessori method as an alternative educational model for their children. Mountaintop Ecology curriculum includes certification as a wildlife sanctuary with the National Wildlife Foundation and Audubon International. Mountaintop serves just over 200 children in our: * Montessori Mornings (6-24 months with an adult), * Toddler Community (18 months- 3 years), * Children's House (PreK and K), * Elementary (grades 1-3 and 4-6) and * Middle School (grades 7-9) Families come to Mountaitnop from Charlottesville, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson and Green Counties for the nurturing Montessori environment we provide. Our local community service partners are Westminster Canterbury, Meals on Wheels, Ivy Creek Natural Area, and the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. MCS is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees who are parents of alumni and current students and members of the local education, business and professional community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: NS-6 | 192 students
2700 27th Street, Nw
Washington, DC 20008
(202)387-2700 93.8 NS-6
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.