New Amsterdam grows strong, loving, spirited human beings who know who they are and love what they do.
We provide a classical curriculum that is experiential, inquiry-based, and academically rigorous through a modern Waldorf approach.
Our students exercise individual freedom and self-initiative while developing meaningful, long-term relationships, building the resilience and skills they need to effect meaningful change in the world.
Founded in 2006, New Amsterdam School's East Village campus is a warm community that nourishes children and their families through parent-child programs, Pre-Ks and a fully outdoors mixed-age kindergarten.
Teachers integrate art, movement, and music into the daily life of our students, igniting the imagination and awakening a life-long joy in learning.
New Amsterdam School is an independent, nonsectarian school dedicated to educating a diverse community of children and their parents.
As a member of WECAN (the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America) and Associate Member of AWSNA (Association of Waldorf Schools of North America), our school is part of the well-established Waldorf movement that today includes over 1000 schools and 1600 early childhood programs in 58 countries.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: Waldorf School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-Kindergarten
- Enrollment: 60 students
- Yearly Tuition: $35,900
- Acceptance rate: 80%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
National avg.: 85%
- Seedlings is a warm welcome to Waldorf education and is a nurturing program for both parents and children. Our group classes support healthy physical, social, and emotional development through activities specially designed for stages of the very young child, including songs, games, and finger-plays, and baking. Each class also includes time for conversation and parenting support.
- Maples is a wonderful introduction to the Waldorf early childhood classroom curriculum and our school community. Led by an experienced Waldorf teacher, the children take part in free play, bread-baking, snack preparation, and circle time with nursery rhymes, songs, finger plays, and stories. Parents have the opportunity to work on simple crafts and to engage in the study of child development. Children, parents, and teachers enjoy a nutritious organic snack and outside time together. Parents will stay with their children in the classroom until their child is ready for a bit of separation.
- Children ages 3-6 enter our kindergarten class find a sanctuary where they can confidently move, play and explore in a nature-based environment with experienced educators prepared to support their development with a peaceful, caring approach. Held nearly entirely outdoors in our "outdoor classroom" community garden, our kindergarten offers a nurturing rhythm that is balanced between lively and quiet activities, and that reflects the child`s need for active play, meaningful social interaction, and attentive focus. Free play, songs, movement games, snack preparation and cleanup, circle, nature exploration, seasonal crafts, doll-making, storytelling, and puppetry weave the pattern of the day.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does New Amsterdam School cost?
New Amsterdam School's tuition is approximately $35,900 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of New Amsterdam School?
The acceptance rate of New Amsterdam School is 80%, which is higher than the national average of 78%.
Does New Amsterdam School offer a summer program?
Yes, New Amsterdam School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
When is the application deadline for New Amsterdam School?
The application deadline for New Amsterdam School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
View the New Amsterdam School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
Last Day of School
June 16, 2023 (Friday)
Our daughter was two when she first attended parent child at New Amsterdam School and we have been a part of the community for the past 7 years. It has been her second home where she feels safe, free, respected and loved. The teachers are committed in their work to understand each child. The neighborhood garden and local parks is where the children play and enjoy a bit of nature twice a day, every day. Our daughter has grown to be a strong and caring person who experiences school life in a balanced, wholesome way, where she works diligently in all academic subjects and plays vigorously with friends whom she has developed strong relationships with through the years. NAS has provided support for us as we navigated parenthood. During these trying times of COVID, NAS has been open for full day learning. The small class sizes allowed for appropriate social distancing, where our daughter can attend school in person. It is important to experience the social aspects of learning and we feel truly grateful she continues to.
My son who is 8 and daughter who is 5 currently attends New Amsterdam School and I am grateful for the care and attention that my children receive as individuals. This school looks at the whole individual child and nourishes their unique development. An emphasis is placed on learning with natural materials such as wood and beeswax. My children are currently learning Japanese and Spanish. New Amsterdam has mastered balancing learning with intention and focus with outdoor play and movement. This balance understands that a child is a child who yearns to move and play while harnessing a love to learn and focus.
Our girls have attended New Amsterdam School for four years now and we are delighted with the school! The teachers are truly caring and extremely skilled. The school feels like a beautiful second home to us. The children get plenty of outdoor time every day; they bake bread and make soup; they enjoy story telling, singing, movement, second languague, and pupet shows on a daily basis.
Endorse New Amsterdam School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.