- The mission of New Vistas School is to provide an individualized instructional program for students, grade three through grade twelve, with learning and attention differences, as well as the associated emotional difficulties that often accompany these challenges.
- New Vistas is independent and non-sectarian, organized as a non-profit institution open to students of all races, creeds, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- New Vistas School is licensed by the Virginia Department of Education and is an accredited member of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS) and a member of The International Dyslexia Association (IDA).
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Asperger|
|Total Students||31 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact the NVS Business Office at (434) 846-0301, Ext 13 for current tuition rates.|
|Admissions Director||Lori Eaglin|
- New Vistas School is the only school in its area that offers both early intervention opportunities for students struggling with learning difficulties in a traditional elementary classroom, and options for middle and high school students who are running out of opportunities to stay in school after years of underperformance. At New Vistas, we understand that no single method can be effective for teaching children with learning and attention differences. We provide a nurturing environment and a highly qualified team of educators who are specialists in their field. Our goal is to develop the skills and self-confidence within each student to assist them in reaching their academic potential and future independence. Class size is generally between two and six students in an atmosphere of encouragement and support. New Vistas School is the leader in educating children with exceptional needs in Central Virginia and has served more than 750 children with specific LD, ADD, ADHD, and Asperger`s Syndrome.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LynchburgGrades: PK-12 | 215 students
2125 Langhorne Road
Lynchburg, VA 24501
LynchburgGrades: K-12 | 352 students
122 Fleetwood Dr
Lynchburg, VA 24501
LynchburgGrades: KG-12 | 48 students
3024 Forest Hills Cir
Lynchburg, VA 24501
LynchburgGrades: PK-12 | 1998 students
100 Mountain View Rd
Lynchburg, VA 24502
LynchburgGrades: PK-K | 79 students
1071 Woodberry Square Pl
Lynchburg, VA 24502
New Vistas has transformed our two kids from frustrated to successful--one graduated and is attending local community college and the other will graduate this year. We couldn't have done it without New Vistas focus on the student.
- Posted by Parent - l.ase
My son Cort is a senior at New Vistas and has been there since the 2cd grade. I have watched Cort evolve from a shy insecure boy to a grown self-confident young man. He is a straight A student and currently taking 2 classes at night at CVCC. New Vistas has brought out the best in Cort. He is mature, disciplined, humorous, trustworthy and the very best child any parent could ever ask for. I simply don't know where Cort would be today without New Vistas. If you too have a special child please do not hesitate to give New Vistas a chance........it will change your child's life and at the same time change yours!! Ford Mays
- Posted by Parent - fmays
Without a doubt, New Vistas School has changed our lives!! Our son loves going to school this year! The teachers and staff are amazing! It's so exciting to pick our son up from school each day and hear about what he's learning and see how far he has come in just just three months! Thank you New Vistas for making such a positive impact in our lives!
- Posted by Parent - kroac
My daughter, Siri, is a tenth grader at New Vistas and has been there since fourth grade. I would simply say that New Vistas saved her life. The public school from which she transferred had fine, dedicated and loving teachers but, through no fault of their own, could not provide the setting Siri needed in which to function effectively. New Vistas is that place. Every teacher and administrator is deeply committed to each student, and bring out the best in them. More accurately, they enable each child to bring out the gifts in themselves. My daughter's strengths are abundantly recognized, and her weaknesses are addressed with both compassion and rigor in small classes by sensitive teachers with high expectations. New Vistas has improved the quality of life for our whole family immeasurably.
- Posted by Parent - marth
Even as a part-time, contracted teacher, I feel so welcome and included in the spirit and activities of New Vistas. I can only imagine the comfort and confidence the students and parents involved with NVS feel after they have found themselves in need of specialized solutions to their education.
- Posted by Teacher - Justi
As a "Founding Mother" of New Vistas School, I am pleased to say, that what this school has become on all levels , has exceeded all of my original expectations. New Vistas is a treasure in our community. Libby Jarrett
- Posted by Teacher - libby
Our granddaughters tears are disappearing. Our granddaughter was rapidly becoming a statistic, she was unable to function in the normal school environment. Her tears were flowing, she was not able to participate in normal classroom activities, she was not learning, she did not want to go to school, she simply was not moving forward. She has attended the New Vistas School for one (1) year, there are very few tears, she is actually doing homework with just a little prodding, she is learning, she actually thinks school is OK, she is moving forward. She now has a future. There is what almost seems to be educational magic going on inside the New Vistas School. Our tears are also going away. Very happy Grandparents
- Posted by Parent - lsoue
I have taught at New Vistas School for almost ten years, and continue to enjoy working with our wonderful students! It is gratifying to see them respond to our instructional techniques and transform from struggling/discouraged students into confident young men and women who have a positive attitude about learning.
- Posted by Teacher - the_v
New Vistas School is a true treasure in Lynchburg, VA! So many young people have found their place in life because of this school. The testimonies of the parents and students speak for the school. The staff is amazing !
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mgmc9
My daughter has been attending NVS for 2 years now & all I can say is THANK YOU! Academically she is improving and now loves school. We love her teachers and the small group approach to learning. While she was in public school she continued to get lost & left behind both socially & academically - well not with NVS! I have seen her confidence grow in both areas. I am so thankful that we found NVS and I look forward to my daughter attending as long as she is able.
- Posted by Parent - stace
The faculty at New Vistas is the best that there is. Each and every teacher loves and cares for all of the students. My grandson is now in his 7th year there and he will be the first to tell you of all of the positive sides of New Vistas. The one on one attention is the best he says! This school has changed him from hating school to loving school! Thank you New Vistas!
- Posted by Parent - dares
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.