North Side School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (718) 229-5050
- The NORTH SIDE SCHOOL is an independent, prestigious charter school, specializing in education and early childhood development. The school's success is credited to our staff's efforts which are motivated by the belief that "every child`S individuality must be respected and nourished".
- We believe that from the moment the child enters the classroom, each step in his education is seen as a progressive building bloc; ultimately forming the whole person, in the emergence from childhood to adult.
- All of our focus is on the needs of the child.
- We take pride in seeing and meeting the student's personality and intellectual needs, rather than viewing them as part of the classroom process.
- North Side School is a longstanding member of American Montessori Society
|School Type||Montessori School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool|
|Total Students||100 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurricular|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
After School Enrichment Program
- The mission of North Side School is to provide a warm, caring, and stimulating early childhood environment that is safe and nurturing. It is a time of fun, warmth, security, exploration and discovering. The school fosters self-esteem and builds confidence based on self-respect and respect for all others. We follow the "Golden Rule." We have created a loving, trustful, and respectful environment which enables children to love, trust and respect their parents, teachers, each other, and especially themselves. We believe in the value of human diversity and the fair treatment of all people and the earth. Students and their families feel comfortable and welcomed at all times. We view the parents as partners in the education of their children and integrate them into our curriculum, as well as integrating into our community and becoming part of it. Our staff is professional and knowledgeable about childhood development and early childhood education. We work collaboratively with our staff, parents, and the entire community to guide our students in their learning process. We have high expectations that are guided by the developmental needs of each child, with an understanding that many of our children have needs beyond that of learning essential skills; their needs are personal, pervasive and affect them on every level of humanity. We follow standard pre-school curriculum guidelines and the New York State Common Core project. We focus on the whole child with developmentally appropriate quality education developed to meet the needs of each child. North Side School maintains a progressive curriculum promoting learning the tools necessary to succeed in school and in life. We encourage and develop them physically, socially, emotionally and intellectually while being part of a whole community. The goal is for students to enter Kindergarten with the necessary skills to succeed and promote lifelong learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Forest Hills Grades: NS-12 | 245 students
11917 Union Tpke
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 223-4667 5.2 NS-12
- Whitestone Grades: 1-12 | 74 students
12-10 150th St
Whitestone, NY 11357
(718) 728-8476 1.1 1-12
- Bayside Grades: K | 5 students
3820 Bell Blvd
Bayside, NY 11361
(718) 279-4251 1.7 K
My three year old daughter started at North Side in January. The teachers at the school helped her make a very nice transition. They meet the needs of students with their hands on activities, centers, art and music classes, and computer use. My daughter's teacher is Miss Vicky. She is a very caring and nurturing teacher. I loved the communication notebook because I was able to read about how my daughter's day went good or bad. The family projects and show and tell helped build my daughter's confidence and influenced her to want to go to school each day. North Side school appears to have a good security system which makes me feel at ease when I send my daughter to school each day. The principal, Ms. Irene is always standing at the door to greet and welcome children. I would highly recommend this school to any parent.
- Posted by Parent - zaira
My twin daughters graduated from North Side School in 2011, after having attended the school since Pre-K. They have had great academic success and they have excelled in every course of study since leaving North Side School, especially math, because North Side prepared them for excellence in a kind, supportive and challenging learning environment. in each school they attended afterward, they were ahead of the curriculum. The education they received here is priceless and the cost was well worth it. Many people pay so much more for the same quality of education.
- Posted by Parent - mtpar
Yes, my daughter analis loves going to school every day. the teachers she has had there have made her first experience in school very special, not to mention extremely educational. she has learned so much and i am amazed at how much she has learned in the short period of time there. The director there is in touch with all her students and knows them all very well. i am extremely pleased at the quality of education and staff at this school!
- Posted by Parent - eburg
One word phenomenal! Wonderful setting. Teachers are attentive and nurturing. I did my homework/research, no other school compares!
- Posted by Parent - gio26
My son has done so well at North Side. I have been so happy with the quality of care and education he has received there. I recommend it highly!
- Posted by Parent - orang
My son goes to this school. He is a very bright kid and loves going there every day. I highly recommend North Side School to any parents who need to place their children into daycare.
- Posted by Parent - tiana
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.