- Garden School was founded in 1923 to meet the need for a high-quality, independent school in Queens.
- This mission remains unchanged as the faculty and administration work to offer the student body the best possible education in an atmosphere where both individual goals and those of the community are respected and nurtured.
- At Garden School we focus on helping our students develop the skills they need to thrive in school and in life.
- All children are uniquely talented and have their own learning styles, so we combine time-tested teaching methods with creative approaches to reach out to all of our learners.
- Garden School offers a one-year English Language Academy (ELA) program for international students.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||296 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English, AP French, AP Modern European History, AP Spanish, AP US History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Must be presentable, not distracting, and free of inappropriate artwork, logos, text, etc. )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,660|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
|Admissions Director||Jim Gaines (7-12) and William Vogel (N-6)|
|Endowment Size||$1.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
chess club, community service, homework club, literary magazine, math club, math team, robotics team, student council, theater, tutoring, yearbook club
Arts and Music Programs:
art studio, dance class, drama, fine arts, music lessons, performing arts, piano lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
bowling, gymnastics, intramural sports, karate, sports, swimming, volleyball
- Garden School is a co-ed, nursery to grade 12, fully-accredited, independent college prep school in Jackson Heights, Queens.
- Small by design, we provide 315 students with a strong and highly enriched academic experience that offers a realistic option for New York families.
- Garden students thrive in small class sizes because they receive a greater degree of individual attention which helps them realize their academic potential. That`s the key advantage of a Garden School education: higher academic standards combined with an environment conducive to scholastic excellence.
- Garden's fully-enclosed, well-equipped campus is situated on a quiet street in New York's most diverse borough. Our student body reflects our surroundings and encourages a healthy and positive cultural exchange. We recognize students for who they are, and cultivate their unique identity to better awaken intellectual curiosity and inspire independent thinking.
- Our reading specialist, art, music, chess and world languages classes, interscholastic sports program, 7 AP courses, robotics and debate clubs, afterschool program and comprehensive college counseling contribute to a Garden student's success.
- Private bus transportation, a lunch program and tuition assistance are available. Tours are scheduled at your convenience. Weekly Open Houses are scheduled every Wednesday at 9 AM.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Jackson Heights Grades: PK-10 | 575 students
81-10 35th Avenue
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
(718)457-0429 0.3 PK-10
- Forest Hills Grades: NS-12 | 245 students
11917 Union Tpke
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718)223-4667 4.1 NS-12
Garden School is the best investment you can make in your child's education and development. The teachers are knowledgeable, genuine and caring. There are an array of after school activities, sports, and clubs. The education curriculum prepares you for advanced studies and most children move on to achieve advanced degrees. However, the main point to stress in this review is individual attention! The bonds, friendships and mentor-ship that is formed within the school between students, teachers and leadership is with you for years to come. There is a true sense of community here. Here are two examples of the caring environment (there are countless):1. In 11th grade, I needed extra tutoring/help with French...the headmaster of the school, assisted me extra help french lessons on his lunch break to ensure I did well in the class. This is unheard off in most schools today.2. After graduation, in my 1st year of college, I came back to Garden to get assistance with Calculus and Statistics. My high school math teacher took the time to assist after school hours. Needless to say, I did very well in those subjects. Looking forward to both of my kids attending the school in the near future.THE SCHOOL, TEACHERS and LEADERSHIP ARE IRREPLACEABLE!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - M.S