Garden's fully-enclosed, well-equipped campus is situated on a quiet street in New York's most diverse borough.
Small by design, we provide 315 students with a strong and highly enriched academic experience that offers a realistic option for New York families.
Garden students thrive in small class sizes because they receive a greater degree of individual attention which helps them realize their academic potential.
We recognize students for who they are, and cultivate their unique identity to better awaken intellectual curiosity and inspire independent thinking.
The key advantage of a Garden School education: higher academic standards combined with an environment conducive to scholastic excellence.
Garden School's athletic program gives students a chance to participate in sports in ways that are accessible and supportive.
Our goal from the earliest grades through high school is to develop lifelong learners who excel in academics and individuals who enhance Garden School and the college they later attend. All students have their own strengths, weaknesses, talents, and dreams. The college search seeks to find the best match for our graduates, places where they can thrive and learn.
- Garden School was founded in 1923 to meet the need for a high-quality, independent school in Queens.
- This mission remains unchanged as the faculty and administration work to offer the student body the best possible education in an atmosphere where both individual goals and those of the community are respected and nurtured.
- At Garden School we focus on helping our students develop the skills they need to thrive in school and in life.
- All children are uniquely talented and have their own learning styles, so we combine time-tested teaching methods with creative approaches to reach out to all of our learners.
- Garden School offers a one-year English Language Academy (ELA) program for international students.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||281 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English, AP French, AP Modern European History, AP Spanish, AP US History, Political Philosophy (H),|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Must be presentable, not distracting, and free of inappropriate artwork, logos, text, etc. )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,940|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
|Admissions Director||Jim Gaines (7-11) and William Vogel (N-6)|
|Endowment Size||$1.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
chess club, community service, homework club, literary magazine, math club, math team, robotics team, student council, theater, tutoring, yearbook club
Arts and Music Programs:
art studio, dance class, drama, fine arts, music lessons, performing arts, piano lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
bowling, gymnastics, intramural sports, karate, sports, swimming, volleyball
- Garden School is a co-ed, nursery to grade 12, fully-accredited, independent college prep school in Jackson Heights, Queens.
- Small by design, we provide 315 students with a strong and highly enriched academic experience that offers a realistic option for New York families.
- Garden students thrive in small class sizes because they receive a greater degree of individual attention which helps them realize their academic potential. That`s the key advantage of a Garden School education: higher academic standards combined with an environment conducive to scholastic excellence.
- Garden's fully-enclosed, well-equipped campus is situated on a quiet street in New York's most diverse borough. Our student body reflects our surroundings and encourages a healthy and positive cultural exchange. We recognize students for who they are, and cultivate their unique identity to better awaken intellectual curiosity and inspire independent thinking.
- Our reading specialist, art, music, chess and world languages classes, interscholastic sports program, 7 AP courses, robotics and debate clubs, afterschool program and comprehensive college counseling contribute to a Garden student's success.
- Private bus transportation, a lunch program and tuition assistance are available. Tours are scheduled at your convenience. Weekly Open Houses are scheduled every Wednesday at 9 AM.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Jackson HeightsGrades: PK-10 | 575 students
81-10 35th Avenue
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
- Forest HillsGrades: PK-12 | 245 students
11917 Union Tpke
Forest Hills, NY 11375
- East ElmhurstGrades: NS-5 | 171 students
3220 108th St
East Elmhurst, NY 11369
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 1090 students
170 Joralemon St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 818 students
181 Lincoln Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.