Oakland Hebrew Day School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Oakland Hebrew Day School is a Modern Orthodox Jewish day school providing excellence in Jewish education to the entire Jewish community.
- Our focus is on the needs of the whole child, fostering a love of learning and a strong sense of Jewish identity.
- We place equal emphasis on Judaic and general studies, helping our students develop a solid academic foundation in each.
- We also recognize the significance of the State of Israel and its people, as well as a sense of responsibility for their welfare.
- As we educate our students to be knowledgeable and proud of who they are and where they came from, we inspire them to engage in a great world that enriches their intellectual and spiritual identities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||143 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 20|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,554|
|Tuition Notes||Flexible tuition program|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Philippa Lichterman|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Flag Football,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Coding club
Arts and Music Programs:
Annual musical performance, Art Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball Team, Swimming Lessons, Ultimate Frisbee
- Oakland Hebrew Day School is a Modern Orthodox Jewish day school providing excellence in Jewish education to the entire Jewish community. Our focus is on the needs of the whole child, fostering a love of learning and a strong sense of Jewish identity. We place equal emphasis on Judaic and general studies, helping our students develop a solid academic foundation in each. We also recognize the significance of the State of Israel and its people, as well as a sense of responsibility for their welfare. As we educate our students to be knowledgeable and proud of who they are and where they came from, we inspire them to engage in a great world that enriches their intellectual and spiritual identities.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 105 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 6.4 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510)665-8800 8.1 PK-8
- El Cerrito Grades: NS-8
2603 Tassajara Avenue
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510)233-3013 12.2 NS-8
- El Sobrante Grades: PK-8 | 159 students
3800 Clark Road
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510)222-3297 13.6 PK-8
Love this school and everything it has done for my kids and for our family. All three have very different personalities and educational styles and needs and OHDS has catered amazingly to them all. I've been so humbled by how well the teachers know each child and how invested they are in their success. My graduates were so well prepared for their high schools and I love that they have a such a strong sense of identity and community. The secular academics have been stellar and the language immersion program is by far the best I've experienced in any of our previous schools in the UK and on the East Coast. The immersion extends to Judaic studies in my opinion where the kids are connected with their religion, history and people in a deep, meaningful and spiritual way (no matter what their level of observance may be at home). My (now high school aged) son will forever treasure the opportunity he had to meet and form connections with Holocaust survivors. As a new family to the Bay Area we've been touched by how much of a home and community the school has become to our family.
- Posted by Parent - Links
OHDS has been such an amazing experience for us. My daughter, who started in 2nd grade with no prior knowledge of Hebrew, no formal Jewish education, and who comes from an egalitarian, Conservative Jewish family, fit in immediately. She runs around the house singing Hebrew songs, integrates ideas from Torah into every day conversations, and loves participating during Shabbat and Holidays. She has made beautiful friendships and the school has welcomed us both into their warm, supportive community. From the Hebrew immersion, to the study of mindfulness in the classroom, the integrative projects that challenge kids in science and humanities, the focus on critical reading and thinking, the unbelievable art program, and the integration of middot (personal values) throughout the curriculum, this school has exceeded our expectations and we couldn't be happier here.
- Posted by Parent - Lyssa Jaye
Our son started Kindergarten at OHDS last fall. I have been very impressed by how well the school seems to be able to do it all: it has a strong academic program, serious Jewish studies, daily Hebrew language instruction, and a refreshing emphasis on character development. It is also very welcoming to those families who are not religious but who simply want the best possible education for their children. If you are looking into top private schools, it's definitely worth a tour of OHDS, even if the Jewish studies are not your top priority. I personally attended some well-regarded independent schools in southern California (High Point Academic, Polytechnic School) and by comparison I am very impressed with OHDS.
- Posted by Parent - Jonathan Esensten
Learn more about Financing Your Kids’ Education in Private School.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.