Oakland Hebrew Day School
- Oakland Hebrew Day School is a Modern Orthodox Jewish day school providing excellence in Jewish education to the entire Jewish community.
- Our focus is on the needs of the whole child, fostering a love of learning and a strong sense of Jewish identity.
- We place equal emphasis on Judaic and general studies, helping our students develop a solid academic foundation in each.
- We also recognize the significance of the State of Israel and its people, as well as a sense of responsibility for their welfare.
- As we educate our students to be knowledgeable and proud of who they are and where they came from, we inspire them to engage in a great world that enriches their intellectual and spiritual identities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||143 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 20|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,554|
|Tuition Notes||Flexible tuition program|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Philippa Lichterman|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Flag Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Annual musical performance, Art Club, Basketball Team, Chess Club, Coding club, Swimming Lessons, Ultimate Frisbee Art Club, Chess Club, Coding club, Annual musical performance,
- Oakland Hebrew Day School is a Modern Orthodox Jewish day school providing excellence in Jewish education to the entire Jewish community. Our focus is on the needs of the whole child, fostering a love of learning and a strong sense of Jewish identity. We place equal emphasis on Judaic and general studies, helping our students develop a solid academic foundation in each. We also recognize the significance of the State of Israel and its people, as well as a sense of responsibility for their welfare. As we educate our students to be knowledgeable and proud of who they are and where they came from, we inspire them to engage in a great world that enriches their intellectual and spiritual identities.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
El SobranteGrades: PK-8 | 186 students
3800 Clark Road
El Sobrante, CA 94803
OaklandGrades: NS-5 | 132 students
5000 Macarthur Blvd
Oakland, CA 94613
El CerritoGrades: PK-8 | 239 students
2603 Tassajara Avenue
El Cerrito, CA 94530
LafayetteGrades: K-8 | 162 students
955 Risa Road
Lafayette, CA 94549
BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 88 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
OHDS has been such an amazing experience for us. My daughter, who started in 2nd grade with no prior knowledge of Hebrew, no formal Jewish education, and who comes from an egalitarian, Conservative Jewish family, fit in immediately. She runs around the house singing Hebrew songs, integrates ideas from Torah into every day conversations, and loves participating during Shabbat and Holidays. She has made beautiful friendships and the school has welcomed us both into their warm, supportive community. From the Hebrew immersion, to the study of mindfulness in the classroom, the integrative projects that challenge kids in science and humanities, the focus on critical reading and thinking, the unbelievable art program, and the integration of middot (personal values) throughout the curriculum, this school has exceeded our expectations and we couldn't be happier here.
- Posted by Parent - Lyssa Jaye
Our son started Kindergarten at OHDS last fall. I have been very impressed by how well the school seems to be able to do it all: it has a strong academic program, serious Jewish studies, daily Hebrew language instruction, and a refreshing emphasis on character development. It is also very welcoming to those families who are not religious but who simply want the best possible education for their children. If you are looking into top private schools, it's definitely worth a tour of OHDS, even if the Jewish studies are not your top priority. I personally attended some well-regarded independent schools in southern California (High Point Academic, Polytechnic School) and by comparison I am very impressed with OHDS.
- Posted by Parent - Jonathan Esensten