- Spectrum Center Programs was founded in 1975 by Ernie Wing and Mary Lessa, two young teachers who had a vision for creating a school based upon the principals of behavior analysis and a belief that they could make a difference in the lives of children.
- Their first “school” was started in the humblest of locations, a “classroom” located in a garage in downtown Oakland.
- Spectrum Center Schools has been a leader in providing special education services to the San Francisco Bay Area since 1975.
- Our program was founded as an alternative for students whose disabilities prevented them from attending public school.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Oakland Grades: 8-12 | 15 students
3800 Coolidge Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
(510)482-2244 2.3 8-12
- San Leandro Grades: 1-12 | 74 students
2275 Arlington Dr
San Leandro, CA 94578
(510)481-1222 5.9 1-12
- Alameda Grades: 1-12 | 65 students
1910 Central Ave
Alameda, CA 94501
(510)769-7100 3.9 1-12
- Lafayette Grades: 6-12 | 55 students
1035 Carol Ln
Lafayette, CA 94549
(925)962-9660 9.3 6-12
- Moraga Grades: 8-12 | 55 students
350 Rheem Blvd
Moraga, CA 94556
(925)377-0789 6.8 8-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.