The Berkeley School
- At The Berkeley School, students from Pre-K to 8th grade are actively learning what it means to be a member of their school, their local community and the world.
- Filtered through the lens of civic engagement, students` academic experience is intertwined with their social and emotional development.
- Alongside a strong curriculum are key conflict-resolution opportunities, empathy-developing role playing and student-led community campaigns, all of which reinforce that what matters in education matters in life.
- To become global citizens, TBS students learn not only core subjects but core values.
- Our emphasis on equity and inclusion creates a culture of belonging, a space where all feel "seen and supported" to become their best selves.
- And our emphasis on academic rigor creates a culture of life-long learning.
- Students who graduate from The Berkeley School are uniquely prepared to navigate the complexities of a changing world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||320 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 26 / Dec. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,990|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is grade specific and ranges from $17,990 to $26,230 depending on program level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Paula Farmer|
|Admissions Associate||Maple Molina (Preschool Only)|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ashoka Kids, Math Olympiad, Science Olympiad (middle school), Student Government Association (1st-8th), We Day
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama (middle school), Garage Band (Middle School), Garage Band (middle school), Studio Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Extended Care Program, Ultimate Frisbee Clu
- Civic Engagement project based learning beginning at the preschool
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Field Trips to promote experiential learning along with the academic curriculum on all levels
- Montessori Plus approach to pedagogy at the preschool
- Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers Workshop
- Bridges Math K-5; Connected Math + Algebra in Middle School
- Peaceful Playground
- Capstone Spanish and Science immersion trip to Costa Rica for all 8th graders
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-6 | 82 students
2446 Mckinley Ave
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510)841-7248 0.8 K-6
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 101 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 1.8 K-8
- Oakland Grades: K-8 | 55 students
2101 Livingston St
Oakland, CA 94606
(510)436-4466 6.6 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: NS-8 | 535 students
1009 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510)809-0615 1.1 NS-8
- Berkeley Grades: K-5 | 96 students
1809 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510)883-6990 0.7 K-5
August 16, 2018
If you have been teaching for a few years, chances are that you will need to consider rebranding yourself.
August 14, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
July 24, 2018
We identify changes in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 which impact not-for-profit private schools.