The Berkeley School
The Berkeley School Photo #2 - 4th and 5th Grade Precita Eyes Tour in the Mission District of San Francisco to study murals.
The Berkeley School Photo #5 - Welcome to The Berkeley School: All Student Assembly at the K-8 Campus
- At The Berkeley School, students from Pre-K to 8th grade are actively learning what it means to be a member of their school, their local community and the world.
- Filtered through the lens of civic engagement, students` academic experience is intertwined with their social and emotional development.
- Alongside a strong curriculum are key conflict-resolution opportunities, empathy-developing role playing and student-led community campaigns, all of which reinforce that what matters in education matters in life.
- To become global citizens, TBS students learn not only core subjects but core values.
- Our emphasis on equity and inclusion creates a culture of belonging, a space where all feel "seen and supported" to become their best selves.
- And our emphasis on academic rigor creates a culture of life-long learning.
- Students who graduate from The Berkeley School are uniquely prepared to navigate the complexities of a changing world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||320 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 26 / Dec. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,990|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is grade specific and ranges from $17,990 to $26,230 depending on program level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Paula Farmer|
|Admissions Associate||Maple Molina (Preschool Only)|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ashoka Kids, Math Olympiad, Science Olympiad (middle school), Student Government Association (1st-8th), We Day
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama (middle school), Garage Band (Middle School), Garage Band (middle school), Studio Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Extended Care Program, Ultimate Frisbee Clu
- Civic Engagement project based learning beginning at the preschool
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Field Trips to promote experiential learning along with the academic curriculum on all levels
- Montessori Plus approach to pedagogy at the preschool
- Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers Workshop
- Bridges Math K-5; Connected Math + Algebra in Middle School
- Peaceful Playground
- Capstone Spanish and Science immersion trip to Costa Rica for all 8th graders
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 101 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 1.8 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: K-6 | 82 students
2446 Mckinley Ave
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510)841-7248 0.8 K-6
- Alameda Grades: PK-8 | 56 students
1400 6th Street
Alameda, CA 94501
(510)521-0595 6.8 PK-8
- El Sobrante Grades: PK-8 | 171 students
3800 Clark Road
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510)223-3570 6.6 PK-8
It is illegal for an interviewer to ask certain questions at your job interview. Be aware of what they can and cannot ask you.
A Scholarship Funding Organization (SFO) is an organization which provides financial assistance for attendance at private school.
Not filling all the seats is a challenge many schools. Jason How offers some answers to common enrollment questions.