The Berkeley School
- At The Berkeley School, students from Pre-K to 8th grade are actively learning what it means to be a member of their school, their local community and the world.
- Filtered through the lens of civic engagement, students` academic experience is intertwined with their social and emotional development.
- Alongside a strong curriculum are key conflict-resolution opportunities, empathy-developing role playing and student-led community campaigns, all of which reinforce that what matters in education matters in life.
- To become global citizens, TBS students learn not only core subjects but core values.
- Our emphasis on equity and inclusion creates a culture of belonging, a space where all feel "seen and supported" to become their best selves.
- And our emphasis on academic rigor creates a culture of life-long learning.
- Students who graduate from The Berkeley School are uniquely prepared to navigate the complexities of a changing world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||320 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 26 / Dec. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,990|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is grade specific and ranges from $17,990 to $26,230 depending on program level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Paula Farmer|
|Admissions Associate||Maple Molina (Preschool Only)|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ashoka Kids, Math Olympiad, Science Olympiad (middle school), Student Government Association (1st-8th), We Day
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama (middle school), Garage Band (Middle School), Garage Band (middle school), Studio Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Extended Care Program, Ultimate Frisbee Clu
- Civic Engagement project based learning beginning at the preschool
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Field Trips to promote experiential learning along with the academic curriculum on all levels
- Montessori Plus approach to pedagogy at the preschool
- Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers Workshop
- Bridges Math K-5; Connected Math + Algebra in Middle School
- Peaceful Playground
- Capstone Spanish and Science immersion trip to Costa Rica for all 8th graders
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 88 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
- BerkeleyGrades: NS-8 | 535 students
1009 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
- OaklandGrades: PK-8 | 197 students
2101 Livingston St
Oakland, CA 94606
- AlamedaGrades: PK-8 | 56 students
1400 6th Street
Alameda, CA 94501
- AlamedaGrades: NS | 21 students
3171 Mecartney Rd
Alameda, CA 94502
January 23, 2018
What is private school really like? Is there any truth to the rumors you keep hearing? Let's find out.
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 23, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.