Ecole Bilingue De Berkeley
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (510) 809-0615
- Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is a pionner bilingual school in the East Bay, founded in 1977
- It offers a full-immersion program for children ages 2 to 14 (Preschool to Middle School).
- We prepare students to be not just linguistically but culturally fluent. EB graduates are extraordinary communicators, equipped with critical thinking skills and at ease with complexity
- Accredited by CAIS/WASC and the French Ministry of Education.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$460|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||weekly rate.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||461 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 25 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,420|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition does not include extended day care.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Manon Johnson|
|Endowment Size||$0.384 million|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Flag Football,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Chinese, Cooking Classes, Fencing, Lego Robotics, Soccer Classes, Yoga
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Choir, Piano, Ukelele Club, Violin
Recreational Athletic Programs:
basketball, Judo, Soccer Team
- Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley nurtures creative, multilingual learners, equipped to confidently embrace the delights and challenges of an interconnected world.
- Founded in 1977 by a group of parents passionate about bilingual education, Ecole Bilingue has grown to become the most renowned French American school in the East Bay, with about 450 students from Preschool to 8th grade.
- Our students are immersed in the French language and culture for most of their day and acquire solid academic, social and emotional skills throughout their education at EB.
- People that viewed Ecole Bilingue De Berkeley also viewed these schools: The Berkeley School, Black Pine Circle School, Montessori Family School - Early Childhood, Ilan Ramon Day School and Applied Scholastics Academy East Bay (Formerly GG Apple School).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510) 665-8800 1.1 PK-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 50 students
1850 Scenic Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709
(510) 848-2322 2.1 PK-8
- Alameda Grades: PK-8 | 17 students
2050 Lincoln Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501
(510) 748-0428 6.2 PK-8
Our daughter started at EB in kindergarten, wish we would have started in their preschool program which looks excellent and is a sort of separated from the "big kids." She's in 4th grade now and we have been very happy at EB. The community of parents, teachers and administrators are really wonderful. The school works tirelessly to be the best school out there. Their curriculum is a combination of French, like it would be in France, and American. The kids adapt well to this and they truly become citizens of the world, as their motto promises. I'm writing now especially to say how quickly and unbelievably well the school adapted to online learning when it had to shut down in March 2020, due to the Covid 19 crisis. Other schools took weeks to figure it out. We shut down on a Friday and by Monday, everyone was logging in and had a plan for the day and weeks to come. It's a very impressive place with a wonderful group of committed people.
- Posted by Parent - Jessica
EB is an absolutely wonderful school. Teachers are top notch, responsive, creative, on top of current methods but intentional, and constantly working on interesting projects that will teach and use skills as well as engage the kids. They're fun and flexible, accommodating different learning styles while maintaining control over the class, which is so important for kids to concentrate and learn. Support staff are amazing, and the Administration is responsive, well-organized, friendly, deeply engaged with the school, and absolutely dedicated to excellence. The curriculum balances French and English so as to provide really solid learning in both, and meeting both French and American standards. Art, music, science, computer programming, and sports are included in the curriculum and used as language learning activities (in the lower grades, at least, many of these are conducted entirely in French). There are loads of extracurriculars available: art, music, soccer, judo, gardening, languages, science and math clubs, cooking- fencing during camps! And also great morning and afternoon childcare coverage for a really reasonable rate.
- Posted by Parent - Colleen
Fantastic school. Both of my kids have had an amazing time. Incredibly talented and high quality teachers. Excellent, nurturing environment. Great community of caring and diverse parents. My children move between French and English seamlessly and have developed an enriching set of friends. A fantastic school.
- Posted by Parent - EB parent
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.