Grand Lake Montessori
- Making Childhood A Journey, Not A Race! We`re proud of our campus, our school, and our teachers.
- With almost two full acres of campus in residential Oakland, we have plenty of open spaces and green grass for running and playing.
- We have planted fruit trees, indigenous plants, vegetables and flower beds, to attract butterflies, bees and other insects.
- We raise bees that make us honey. Children learn to harvest fruits and vegetables and to cook and share food with family and friends.The "GLM village" is a place where children can learn and grow, all while developing strong, loving and respectful relationships with their peers and school adults.
- This is "personalized education" at it`s best, fostering resilience, creativity, collaboration and a love of life-time learning.
- Come and see for yourself, what we mean when we say: we are "helping to make childhood a journey, not a race.".
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||180 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Contracts are offered for 10,11,and 12 month programs|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Admissions Director||Nancy Haskins|
|Admissions Associate||Adrienne Pratt|
- About GLM: Grand Lake Montessori was founded in 1978 as an independent Montessori day school. Formerly known as Casa dei Bambini (or House of Children in Italian) it was named after the very first Montessori school established in Rome in 1906. GLM has grown to more than 170 students, educating children 18 months through Kindergarten and is now opening an Elementary Program in August 2016. GLM operates year round orienting all of our new students into the program throughout the summer time.
- What Is Montessori Montessori is a brain-based method of education that fosters self-directed and experiential learning, as well as collaboration with peers. In Montessori classrooms, children can respond to their natural curiosities, pursue their special interests and make their own choices. They discover and explore knowledge while being intentionally guided by trained Montessori adults who offer developmentally appropriate activities in a well prepared environment. Through using their hands and engaging their minds, they become creative, independent, critical thinkers with a life-time love of learning.
- Our Classrooms Are Special. Here`s Why: Classrooms at GLM have nearly as much personality as the children who go here. We strive to make our classrooms a home-away-from-home environment with plants, animals, beautiful cultural objects and pieces of art. There are cosy corners to sit and read in, child-sized tables to play at and individual rugs for laying out projects. All the tools, implements and furniture are real, functional and scaled to the children`s size. Every activity in the environment supports an aspect of their development and is part of an age appropriate and scientifically based curriculum. These are places designed and created especially for them!
- People that viewed Grand Lake Montessori also viewed these schools: Northern Light School, The Renaissance School, Park Day School, Applied Scholastics Academy East Bay (Formerly GG Apple School) and Redwood Day.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- OaklandGrades: PK-8 | 161 students
3710 Dorisa Ave
Oakland, CA 94605
- OaklandGrades: PK-8 | 115 students
3668 Dimond Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
- OaklandGrades: K-8 | 314 students
360 42nd St
Oakland, CA 94609
- AlamedaGrades: PK-8 | 17 students
2050 Lincoln Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501
- OaklandGrades: K-8 | 410 students
3245 Sheffield Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.