- Making Childhood A Journey, Not A Race! We`re proud of our campus, our school, and our teachers.
- With almost two full acres of campus in residential Oakland, we have plenty of open spaces and green grass for running and playing.
- We have planted fruit trees, indigenous plants, vegetables and flower beds, to attract butterflies, bees and other insects.
- We raise bees that make us honey. Children learn to harvest fruits and vegetables and to cook and share food with family and friends.The "GLM village" is a place where children can learn and grow, all while developing strong, loving and respectful relationships with their peers and school adults.
- This is "personalized education" at it`s best, fostering resilience, creativity, collaboration and a love of life-time learning.
- Come and see for yourself, what we mean when we say: we are "helping to make childhood a journey, not a race.".
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||180 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Contracts are offered for 10,11,and 12 month programs|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Admissions Director||Nancy Haskins|
|Admissions Associate||Adrienne Pratt|
- About GLM: Grand Lake Montessori was founded in 1978 as an independent Montessori day school. Formerly known as Casa dei Bambini (or House of Children in Italian) it was named after the very first Montessori school established in Rome in 1906. GLM has grown to more than 170 students, educating children 18 months through Kindergarten and is now opening an Elementary Program in August 2016. GLM operates year round orienting all of our new students into the program throughout the summer time.
- What Is Montessori? Montessori is a brain-based method of education that fosters self-directed and experiential learning, as well as collaboration with peers. In Montessori classrooms, children can respond to their natural curiosities, pursue their special interests and make their own choices. They discover and explore knowledge while being intentionally guided by trained Montessori adults who offer developmentally appropriate activities in a well prepared environment. Through using their hands and engaging their minds, they become creative, independent, critical thinkers with a life-time love of learning.
- Our Classrooms Are Special. Here`s Why: Classrooms at GLM have nearly as much personality as the children who go here. We strive to make our classrooms a home-away-from-home environment with plants, animals, beautiful cultural objects and pieces of art. There are cosy corners to sit and read in, child-sized tables to play at and individual rugs for laying out projects. All the tools, implements and furniture are real, functional and scaled to the children`s size. Every activity in the environment supports an aspect of their development and is part of an age appropriate and scientifically based curriculum. These are places designed and created especially for them!
People that viewed Grand Lake Montessori also viewed these schools: GiftedandTalented.com, Applied Scholastics Academy East Bay (Formerly GG Apple School), Ecole Bilingue De Berkeley, Park Day School and Redwood Day School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
OaklandGrades: K-12 | 199 students
Oakland, CA 94612
AlamedaGrades: PK-8 | 17 students
2050 Lincoln Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501
BerkeleyGrades: NS-8 | 535 students
1009 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
OaklandGrades: K-8 | 310 students
360 42nd St
Oakland, CA 94609
OaklandGrades: K-8 | 385 students
3245 Sheffield Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.