Walden Center & School
- Walden Center and School offers child-centered academics that fully incorporate artistic expression within a supportive community of learners.
- Walden is a progressive, teacher-run elementary school. Our curriculum combines developmentally appropriate expectations with challenging units of study.
- The school's environment enhances each child's academic, emotional, social, creative and physical growth.
- The Walden staff supports experiential learning, cooperative endeavor, creativity and appreciation of personal expression within a broader community.
- We believe that children learn best in an environment that stimulates an interest in the world around them.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Classroom teachers modify program strategies to support mild learning differences with the support of a Learning Specialist.|
|Total Students||83 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 3 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,970|
|Tuition Notes||Payable in 8 installments: a 3 month deposit and $1,297 per month Aug - Feb.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,601|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Caroline Schnieders|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 88 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
- AlamedaGrades: PK-5 | 125 students
1421 High Street
Alameda, CA 94501
- BerkeleyGrades: PK-8 | 320 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
- EmeryvilleGrades: K-2 | 13 students
5521 Doyle St
Emeryville, CA 94608
- OaklandGrades: K-8 | 314 students
360 42nd St
Oakland, CA 94609
April 20, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
April 10, 2018
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.