Walden Center & School
- Walden Center and School offers child-centered academics that fully incorporate artistic expression within a supportive community of learners.
- Walden is a progressive, teacher-run elementary school. Our curriculum combines developmentally appropriate expectations with challenging units of study.
- The school's environment enhances each child's academic, emotional, social, creative and physical growth.
- The Walden staff supports experiential learning, cooperative endeavor, creativity and appreciation of personal expression within a broader community.
- We believe that children learn best in an environment that stimulates an interest in the world around them.
Walden Center & School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Classroom teachers modify program strategies to support mild learning differences with the support of a Learning Specialist.|
|Total Students||82 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 3 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,970|
|Tuition Notes||Payable in 8 installments: a 3 month deposit and $1,297 per month Aug - Feb.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,601|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Caroline Schnieders|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 105 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 1 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510)665-8800 0.8 PK-8
- Berkeley Grades: K-5 | 96 students
1809 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510)883-6990 0.2 K-5
- Alameda Grades: PK-K | 85 students
1421 High Street
Alameda, CA 94501
(510)865-4536 7.6 PK-K
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.