Berkwood Hedge School
- Berkwood Hedge School is an independent kindergarten through fifth grade school located in central Berkeley.
- Our developmental philosophy is based on the understanding that children construct their own knowledge of the world through active and collaborative exploration of their learning environment.
- We see children as competent, articulate, and curious individuals who learn by doing things themselves.
- Our experienced teachers create lessons, materials, and activities that challenge and engage a diverse range of students.
- Our teachers excel at bringing social and academic learning together in emotionally safe classroom environments.
- Curriculum is designed to help students ask questions about society, examine popular culture, and think critically about school life.
- Social justice and service learning activities are integrated throughout the academic curriculum.
- Our strong core curriculum of mathematics, language arts, social studies, and science is supplemented by a vibrant enrichment program including Spanish, Art, Music, Physical Education and Environmental Science and our older students add an inspiring Drama program.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||96 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Debbie Lloyd|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 101 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 1.1 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510)665-8800 0.7 PK-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-K | 58 students
2830 9th street
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510)845-6969 1.2 PK-K
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.