Berkwood Hedge School
- Berkwood Hedge School is an independent kindergarten through fifth grade school located in central Berkeley.
- Our developmental philosophy is based on the understanding that children construct their own knowledge of the world through active and collaborative exploration of their learning environment.
- We see children as competent, articulate, and curious individuals who learn by doing things themselves.
- Our experienced teachers create lessons, materials, and activities that challenge and engage a diverse range of students.
- Our teachers excel at bringing social and academic learning together in emotionally safe classroom environments.
- Curriculum is designed to help students ask questions about society, examine popular culture, and think critically about school life.
- Social justice and service learning activities are integrated throughout the academic curriculum.
- Our strong core curriculum of mathematics, language arts, social studies, and science is supplemented by a vibrant enrichment program including Spanish, Art, Music, Physical Education and Environmental Science and our older students add an inspiring Drama program.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||96 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Debbie Lloyd|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 105 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)549-0605 1.1 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510)665-8800 0.7 PK-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-K | 58 students
2830 9th street
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510)845-6969 1.2 PK-K
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.